“LOVED this hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Anabella

Save Saved
You added The Anabella to your Saves list
The Anabella
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1030 W. Katella Avenue, Anaheim, CA 92802 (Formerly Anabella Hotel)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #44 of 111 hotels in Anaheim
Saint Louis, Missouri
“LOVED this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

This was one of the best experiences I've had at a hotel. Everything about it (location, room, services, food, etc.) exceeded my expectations and I will definitely take my family back there. I can't wait to go back.

The location is great. It is right next to Disneyland, which is the reason we stayed there, and close enough that we were able to watch the Disney fireworks from the parking lot after a couple long days at the park. The hotel is also next to restaurants — Tiffy's next door was one of the better meals we had during our stay and they make their own ice cream; Coco's Bakery provided a cheap and light alternative for breakfast when I stopped in for some muffins and bagels — and shopping and not far from Angels Stadium. Unfortunately the Angels were out of town during our stay and we weren't able to check out a game.

The hotel restaurant was better than I expected in terms of quality of food, price and just overall experience. The happy-hour specials, which we didn't get to try, were some of the best-priced items we saw throughout the area during our time there. They even had a two-man acoustic band playing on Friday night, which was a great way to unwind after a long day. If you don't have time to sit down for a meal, they also have a to-go window where you can pick up a quick meal to take back to your room.

We were very pleased with our room, which included two beds and a small pullout couch that was perfect for our small family (three people) but would have been great for a family with several kids. The room was comfortable and clean and added to the impressive overall experience we had there.

The pool also added to the great experience we had at the Anabella and if we let her, our 4 1/2 year old daughter would probably still be swimming in it. We literally had to pull her away from the pool every night because she was having so much fun. The pool was next to the outdoor seating for the restaurant, which meant it was easily accessible to drinks and food and the live music on Friday night. The hotel also had a pool-side movie playing on Friday night, which was a plus for our young family. We didn't get to take advantage of it, but the hotel's "quiet pool" looked like it offered a relaxing alternative to the family pool.

My family had such an enjoyable stay here that we can't wait to go back. Everything about it was such a positive experience that I would recommend it to anyone who is planning a trip to Disneyland or the Anaheim area.

2,047 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cental Valley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

beware of extra costs! They don't tell you that they have additional charges for "parking" and "resort fees", and then, of course, tax both of these.

As of this date (July 2011), this adds nearly $20 to your stay each night.

May not mean much to some, but they should have it listed on their site...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We travel to Disneyland twice a year and each time we have stayed at the Embassy Suites. This time, due to a great special, we stayed at the Anabella Hotel (we were a bit skeptical as we have a great routine at the Embassy Suites). Much to our surprise, the Anabella was a great move for us!
We are quite spoiled and really, really want a clean room. The Anabella fit all of our needs. The staff was responsive and very kind. The room was great and clean (my kids loved playing in the large closet). The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the parks (we were so happy not to have to take a bus). The grounds are gorgeous and make you forget you are in Anaheim.
I would strongly recommend staying at the Anabella on your next trip. We have no regrets and plan to stay at the hotel next time as well!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is very conveniently located next to Disneyland resort. However that is the only perk of this hotel.
The room was small especially since they had advertised an above average size suite. The fold out sofa bed had a broken frame that rendered it unusable to anyone in our group. In addition to the broken frame when we unfolded the bed we found several bed bugs in it. I went to the front desk to complain and the smug that's to bad attitude of the night staff was enough to make pull my hair out. The guest in line a head of me was complaining of spiders and roaches in the room and he received the same response from the staff.
Due to the location of the restaurant we decided to attempt to eat breakfast there before going into the park. After sitting at our table for 20 min without being acknowledged by the staff we walked out. Worst of all we were the only people in the dining area except for the staff that continually ignored us.
Overall this hotel was a horrible experience and kind of shocking to see just how rude and disrespectful some people can be. Avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed July 2011
CA Central Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We booked rooms at this "hotel" based on a glowing recommendation from an acquaintance and the pictures we saw on a website, but what we got was a very different result! Most of the website photos show a nice hardwood floor, and fresh, contemporary furniture and decorations, which very much appealed to us... but we got funky-smelling room in a MOTEL with gross, old, stained carpet and very worn-out furniture, in a building with loud, drippy window a/c's and floors that shook anytime anyone walked/ran past (lots of kids ran past). I think that overall the motel is really trying to do good, but falls short... the service was exceptional from some, and fell short by others. First, I must point out that this "hotel" is not a hotel. It is a motel, as the doors are all in outdoor corridors... at least in our building and some others that we saw... The pool and restaurant area were both nice. The food was decent in the restaurant, and the coupons they gave at check-in helped. We enjoyed the pool on two different days. One day, the towels were non-existent -- not good -- the second day the towels were plentiful and the embroidered name was a nice touch, but the towels were very small and thin. Overall, based on the quality of room accomodations, the distance you have to walk to Disney and the fact that you have to pay additional money for parking, I would say this is not my first choice for a good neighbor hotel. Not a horrible place to stay, but I'd say we've done better at other nearby locations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with hardwood floors exactly like they show in their website pictures...
Aransas Pass, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I recognize that smoking is a touchy subject and that many(most) hotels in California are non-smoking. That's OK, I have no problem with that BUT I don't like to be lied to. We attended a convention in Anaheim and the Anabella was on the list of hotels. One of the other attendees called and was told that there were smoking rooms available so she booked a room based on that call. As a matter of fact the reservation confirmation said 'smoking room requested". Several other convention goers did the same. I personally called and got the same information as did the 1st caller. When we checked in the desk clerk acted as if she were personally insulted that we would DARE to want a smoking room. When we told here that the reservation was made based on the phone call her response was "well tell me who you talked to - it wasn't anyone here"....then who was it since I called the hotel directly. I checked with the others and they had all called the hotel directly for reservations. Again, I have no problem with them not allowing smoking, the attitude and the lying is what I am objecting to.
I think this is systemic with this hotel. The photographs on their web site have little relationship to the actual hotel rooms. I have a feeling that they renovated one or two rooms and used them for the photos rather than the majority of the rooms. Our room and the rooms of the others that I saw were very dated and obviously had not been redone for years.
Housekeeping was lacking also. They did not remove the dirty washcloths and they did not replenish the coffee, we had to track down one of the maids. The other staff, bellmen, etc were very pleasant but the front desk staff was rude and condescending. I know a lot of reviewers will be opposed to the entire idea of "smoking rooms" but the real problem is....if they lie about one thing, what else are they lying about?

Room Tip: Look at the room 1st....make sure you get one that looks like the pictures, not what most of the loo...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
PATRIOT4657
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed at the Anabella July 6th - 9th. We arrived about 2:30pm and did a pre-check in. We were told our room was ready, but housekeeping had not cleared in the system to allow guests to check in. We waited about 10 minutes to find our room ready. Front desk and concierge were very nice.

We normally stay at the Tropicana Inn but found this hotel more luxury than just a clean room. The hotel has a nice pool and restaurant/bar. First day we just stayed by the pool since our friends we went with did not have passes for that day. AJ at the bar was very nice, but the menu is a little deceiving as it has a bucket of beer for $ 15 (domestic). They have no buckets and have to serve all 4 beers at once in to go cups as you cannot have glass by the pool. He did say that they were trying to get the aluminum bottles.

As for the room - we had 2 queen beds. Large room - roomier than the Tropicana, but no microwave, just a fridge. The fridge is a small one. good for chilling water bottles to take in the park or beers for the room. The room had carpet - not all have hardwood floors like they show on the website. I thought the bed was comforatble even though I am used to a king. The had nice down pillows and the room was clean. The toilet was the big problem - the handle did not work and would often leave the flap in the tank open and would run. I had to fix it a few times. The in room safe did not work either. No biggie though.

The only drawback for the hotel was the distance to the park. With 3 children under 10 it was quite a hike. YOu have to cross the street then meander though the Grand Californian. Then though Downtown Disney on the way to the park entrance. The monorail was not running and that would have saved some time as you can catch in Downtown Disney and take it into tomorrowland.

I woukld not return to this hotel until the kids are older and can handle the walk.

Overall though, I woould highly recommend the hotel if you have older children.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Anabella? Share your experiences!