“The Best Disney has to offer” 5 of 5 stars

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
San Diego, California
“The Best Disney has to offer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

When I booked this hotel I kept saying maybe I should cancel and go for a more economical room. I am so glad I kept the reservation. I have stayed at all three of the Disney hotels and this one is the best. ( I do love them all) When you pull your car up to the valet you feel like you have stepped into a different world and you do. The lobby is beautiful. The rooms were very clean and no mold or anything in the bathroom SPOTLESS. The view was pretty from our balcony. The service was so fantastic. The location was great. Downtown Disney was steps away. Getting into California Adventure was easy and no wait. The pool and grounds were beautiful. I will stay there again. If you can get a deal at this hotel. I highly recommend you to splurge.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

This is a GREAT hotel. They treat you very well at the hotel. I go at least once a year!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

From the moment we walked inside the doors and they closed behind us, we were transported to a truly amazing Disney experience. The staff are so friendly and helpful, they can not do enough for you. The lobby and foyer were truly amazing and breathtaking. This would have to be one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at.

The restaurants were fantastic, the location to Disneyland was brilliant and so was the early entry into the theme parks. The swimming pools were brilliant, we went night swimming with my teenage children and the warm spa pool was fantastic (especially seeing as we were there in winter). The downtown Disney was amazing and such a great experience, we couldn't get enough of the place.

Our room was kept clean and the beds were made beautifully every single day. We loved the night time staff and the fact that our bedding was turned down and a gorgeous little Disney chocolate and Sweet Dreams card left on our pillow. I miss that now that I am home.

The staff were always smiling and full of happiness, it made our stay at this hotel so wonderful we did not want to leave. The lobby had a massive Christmas tree in it, and warm fireplaces crackling with sumptuous leather chairs inside and we discovered a fire crackling outside at night as well. The shops at the hotel were full of wonderful Disney merchandise I wish I could transport it all home to Australia, because we do not have anything at all like this here.

Yes it was expensive, but it was well and truly worth every single cent and more. The beds were comfortable, and the rooms were very clean. The views were beautiful and the hotel was amazing. The staff could not do enough for you and the restaurants were great.

Furthermore we had free internet in our hotel room which made our stay even better. We also had Disney television in our rooms which was fantastic.

I would have to say this is by far the best hotel we have ever stayed at and I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I now have officially stayed at all 3 Disney Hotels in Anaheim, I love the Disneyland Hotel, but the Grand Californian was just spectacular. Everyone talks about the lobby and it is amazing my son just loved sitting at the childrens tv on the little kids chairs and watching the classic disney shows, while my husband and I would sit on the gorgeeous leather couches and have our morning coffee. The staff are all amazing, I cant fault any area, the hotel is clean and friendly, just a short walk to both parks and Disney downtown. Our room (pool view) was small, but kept very clean, the only thing I didnt like was the sink was outside the bathroom in the hallway, so you had to come out of the shower and into an open hallway to complete your bathroom routine in front of the family!! The pool is great, lifeguards daily watching the kids pool. Nice reasturants, I got to celebrate my birthday at Napa Rose, highly recommended just flawless, the character breakfast buffet was a must do for the kids. Yes you do pay alot to stay here, but I found it worth it. When renovations are completed at the Disneyland Hotel, we will stay there next time, just to compare with the Grand Californian. For those who like to spend their money, I recommend this hotel, a great family retreat.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

We picked the Disney Grand California hotel for our first night getaway on our honeymoon. We arrived at 11:30 PM and the first room we were given had not been made at all - lights on, beds unmade, but mistakes happen, so we phoned down to ask them to get us another room. They sent someone with keys to a different room that was a lower teir (non view) room. When we talked to the desk they denied that it was an interior view room and claimed they didn't know the different room prices, but finally gave us a discount as the appropriate view room wasn't available.
When we got to the new room we found that it had only been partially cleaned. The beds were made, the towels were changed, but there were used soaps and shampoo in the bathroom and shower, the robe in the closet had been used and the refrigerator had leftovers and spills in it.
The next morning we requested a manager to review the room. The housekeeping manager was cautious at first, but after seeing the room became very helpful. She arranged the appropriate view room and inspected it before taking us there and then the hotel manager gave us an additional discount for the problems. One of the ladys at the registration desk heard our story and secretly had the room decorated with rose petals during the day while we were in the park.
Our mixed response is because the original problems were difficult to deal with late at night after a full day of wedding events but many of the staff were truly wonderful and provided the level of service you expect from an expensive hotel and then some. Overall it was not worth the high cost. I recommend a less expensive hotel. Also be aware that the expensive park view rooms still get outside music all night. The inside view rooms are the quietest.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My wife and I just spent two nights at The Grand Californian on a bit of a whim. We've stayed at hotels near DLR and at the Disneyland Hotel. This was by far our favorite place to stay. Today was my first day back to work and the experience keeps playing through my head so much I felt compelled to write a review.
We had initially meant to stay for just one evening. We got there late on the first night, about 9pm. The vallets were very welcoming to us and offered to assist with all of our needs. I opted for vallet parking and use of the bell service even though we had just a small amount of luggage. We walked through the beautiful automatic rolling stained glass window door and into the most welcoming lobby I've had the fortune of walking into. The check in was a breeze. The attendant seemed very knowledgable about our room and seemed genuinely excited for us regarding our view. We received our keys and started making our way towards our room. We had walked through the lobby and around the pool before but not as actual guests so we took our time, stopping to look in the gift shop etc. Once we got into the room we were immediately drawn to our balcony overlooking the half dozen pools below and Mickey's smiling face on the ferris wheel in DCA. It was quite a view to say the least and being nighttime the lights made it all the better.
We decided to order room service that night and for breakfast the following morning. Both stewards were exceptional. The food was great and having that balcony to eat on made it one of our favorite parts of the trip. Another fave came the next morning when were decided to do the Get Up and Go morning walk through DCA. The walk was more like a behind the scenes guided tour of California Adventure. The fitness coordinator had been working for DLR for 20 years and knew a lot about the park and new developments. Currently DCA is in the midst of multiple renovation projects. We come to DLR about twice a month so the construction didn't ruin this trip but during the 2 or so mile walk several of the barricades were removed so we could see a lot of the construction progress. We enjoyed the morning so much and already were dreading leaving that night that we decided to stay a second night. This gave us more time to enjoy the hot tub which can be very romantic and also the Hearthstone Lounge which stays open longer than most of the other restaurants during the middle of the week.
From the great service, to the great food, great view from our room, welcoming and gorgeous lobby and great ambiance this was one of our favorite trips to DLR, EVER!!

• Stayed January 2011
expat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

The magic of Disneyland started at the Grand. We have stayed here before and will continue to make this our hotel when we come to Disneyland. Olivia (at reception) went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. We traveled with relatives (also had young children) who were experiencing Disneyland for the first time. We wanted to make it special for them. Olivia arranged for complimentary balloons, buttons, autographed pictures, and special Mickey cookies/milk night delivery. Our room requests were honored. The Character Breakfast at Storytellers was a nice experience. Cast Members provided us with Fast Passes to World of Color in the Hotel. We enjoyed Magic Mornings and early entry. You stay at this hotel for convenience and service....and we'll be there again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!