“Dapper Day Weekend Stay (February 2014)” 4 of 5 stars

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Newark
“Dapper Day Weekend Stay (February 2014)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Sorry this review is from a few months ago, but I wanted to still review it based on my great experience. The room we had this trip was a garden view, with a partial view of Downtown Disney. This stay was prior to the new downtown disney starbucks, so we had a little bit of a construction view. However, given the low rate we received for staying at the hotel, I really can't complain. The convenience of our own entrance into California Adventure was great. Since it was a low season time, we never had a line.
The theme in the room is super cute with hints of snow white and bambi. Very earthy. You forget you are staying in a "Disney hotel".
The rooms are a bit small, significantly smaller than paradise pier and disneyland hotel. When I spoke with a bellmen at the DL hotel, he explained that because it is the newest and they were trying to fit as many rooms as possible.
The beds are super comfortable. Though the DL hotel is just as comfortable. The pools are great. Very resort-like, with a nice view of the Redwoods in California Adventure.
Cast members at the hotel were great for the most part. We were able to get a golf car ride to paradise pier when we transferred over there. We were actually able to get a golf cart ride to paradise pier each time we asked. Also, when we transferred to Paradise Pier, the hotel/bell staff offered to take our luggage over the the Pier from the Grand. That was great! The only bad experience I had was with a gentleman in Valet. I paid the extra money for valet. unfortunately, the man in valet, whether stressed or busy or whatever, was not friendly. Not the kind of Disney personality I expect when spending a lot of money.
I really do love the Grand. However, after having stayed at Disneyland hotel, it will take me buying into DVC to stay there over the DL hotel. Don't get me wrong. The hotel is absolutely stunning. Especially the lobby area and pools. The restaurants are wonderful. The small size of the room and the expensive cost of the room are my only complaints really. If you are DVC or have the extra money, stay at the Grand. I just appreciate the DL hotel much more.
(Please see the Disneyland hotel review I did for July 2014. It was absolutely wonderful. I ended up changing my Fall Dapper Day Weekend hotel from the Grand to the DL Hotel. Just great!)

Room Tip: Rooms near lobby seem to be the most equidistant from both parks. Rooms are tight. So, less luggage...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

First time staying the the Grand Californian for a recent trip to Diseyland with our 6 and 3 yr olds ... I have to tell you the direct access into Cali Adv --- the best.... as when one melted down it was off to the room, and no big deal .... 10 mins or so and there from inside the park .....

We spent 4 days and 3 in parks one in pool --- pool's were fantastic!!!! Plenty of space (several pools and couple hot tubs ....

Pool side service --- and with soda for kids or adults!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Got a standard room because we were only sleeping here. Decor is old and dated. I can get over that. But our room was musty smelling, had a high pitch alarm noise off and on, patio door wouldn't open, air conditioning barely worked (set at 65 with fan and maybe only 70) and phone didn't work. After first night complained but they didn't have a room. I am sure other rooms are fine. Room 1529 needs to be shut down and redone.

• Stayed July 2014
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I have definitely had a love hate relationship with this hotel for many years now. The biggest problem we have had has been the inability to get the room we request. Whether we make the reservation months ahead of time and request the room then or call the night before and request it again or even arrive early for check in to make sure we get it.... there is, as they say "no guarantee we get the room we requested". That has always been annoying considering the considerable amount of money I am paying for this room! If you are paying over $600 a night (and this can be much more depending on the season) for a room, you should have the call on which one it is. We usually request a theme park view room and they always give us a pool view upon check-in, claiming it is equivalent. Well it is not. If I am paying for a theme park view and have requested it, then my transaction is based on getting that room. The hotel reservation staff puts us through this each time we have visited. They give us the pool view room with bunks, when we request a theme park view with double queen beds and we have to tolerate that room until the one we requested is open. Very frustrating experience, I dread it each time we visit. The reservation site should allow you to pick the EXACT room you need (including bed sizes and views). It should even have a comment section where you can state the floor and wing level etc...without calling anything equivalent. This has needed modification for years.
The rooms are not top notch, they are small and getting a bit old...need new fixtures, carpet and linens (my towels felt like rags rather than towels). I think they need a remodel and update on linens. The housekeeping has had a history of being lousy considering the level of the hotel, but recently they seem to be trying to get a better staff and are checking in to make sure your housekeeping requests are fulfilled. That is an improvement.
I have liked most of the bell hops here, they have been real nice and helpful. Only had one bad experience with a guy named Doug who was rude and seemed racist to me. I should have have filed a complaint over something he did that was extremely inappropriate.
I love the proximity to the park, that is what gets you here. I love taking the mid-afternoon breaks with my kids and not being far from the park. I think they should make that entrance to the park from the hotel an exclusive hotel guest entrance at all times and not just in the morning, mainly because the crowds at this entrance have gotten ridiculous recently. Plus it gives being a disney hotel guest a serious perk.
I wish they would allow more perks for staying at a disney hotel like the magic bands they give you at the Florida Park Hotels and set them with a number of fast passes. This would make the stays at their hotels more valuable, since they charge so much more then the other hotels in the area.
The pool is gorgeous, during peak seasons they have entertainment there... love that for the kids.

Room Tip: Very difficult to get the room you want here, I wish I had a suggestion for this. Perhaps persistenc...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Castro Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Me and my kids loved this hotel. This was our first time in a Disney Hotel and it was trully magical. Judy at the Guest Services was awesome she provided excellent customer service. Loved it and would definitely come back!

Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We definitely took advantage of the the 'magic gateway" between the Grand Californian and California Adventure Park right next door.. it is just great being so handy. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a room available with a king bed on the Concierge floor, but we were at the parks for so many hours, it didn't matter in the end. We did make great use of the breakfast provided on the Concierge floor, but we never got back for afternoon tea!
Thoroughly enjoyed the convenience of this hotel, this is our third time staying there, and we would definitely return..

Room Tip: Try and request a room that looks out over the park - will be fantastic during fireworks!
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was the fourth different Disney hotel we have stayed at and it certainly meets the normal high standard. Impressive architecture was matched by excellent service and an ideal location right next to the theme parks and Disney Village.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!