“Grand Disney!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Tempe, Arizona
“Grand Disney!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Californian with another couple. We booked at the same time for the lowest tier of standard room. To our surprise they gave us adjoining rooms next to each other on the 4th floor. I walked out to the balcony, and to my surprise it was overlooking downtown Disney. Score! I thought we had to pay extra for that. The room was quiet at night. I am a light sleeper and I didn't hear anything around us. Sometimes a screaming kid blazing down the hallway but that was short lived.

The room itself was nice. Very small and they only had rooms available with (2) queen beds instead of 1 king. I already knew what to expect in regards to the room size. You are paying for the location. Staying in the Disney themed resort is a magical experience even to a couple in their early 30s. I was worried it would only be geared towards little kids and I wouldn’t enjoy it. I was wrong, we absolutely loved it.

I read a lot of complaints about the early entry at California adventure being too crowded. I was expecting the worst, but they moved that line in minutes. We were at the back of the crowd, and found ourselves through the gates running to the Cars ride in 5 minutes. Not bad at all.

The grounds of the hotel are nice and the restraints are great. We ate at Napa Rose which was pricey and fancy, but the food and wine selection were totally worth it. Breakfast at Storytellers café was my favorite. I ate the best omelette I’ve ever had in my life, and the mickey mouse waffles were delicious! Eating with the Disney characters seemed like a gimmick but it wasn’t. We were at a table of all adults in our 30s, with no kids. The characters still came to our table and interacted with us, posing for pictures and such. Also the Hearthstone lodge is a cool bar with reasonably priced appetizers and drinks. I had my first ever Strawberry Julep there…followed by another :) It was so delicious I couldn’t resist!

Overall we had a great time at the Grand Californian. It’s a wonderful experience for travelers of all ages.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

For my first time at this hotel I was really impressed! My best friend is a member of the DVC so we didn't have to pay for our room otherwise I would have stated it was VERY much overpriced at the regular going rate.
Our room was spacious and very clean. Also, our view was very nice for just the standard room. The service/hospitality at this hotel was amazing as we didn't have to wait til 3p to check in. I loved the convenient location in Downtown Disney and DLAND.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
wilmington,nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Ideal location for the Disneyland as you walk out of the hotel and onto downtown Disney. The hotel itself is very dark and showing its age but is kept very clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Dimas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Celebrated our 2nd Wedding Anniversary by spending the day at Disneyland, having a fabulous dinner at the Napa Rose and ending with a wonderful night stay at the Grand Californian. From the moment you pull up in your car, you are greeted with smiles and that excellent Disney customer service. We felt so special and just loved our stay! I think we may just make this an annual anniversary tradition!! Once again, Disney does it right!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

You cannot beat the location for Disneyland and California Adventure but you pay a premium for the convenience. The ability to simply walk out of the hotel directly into Downtown Disney or into California Adventure is wonderful. Getting the extra magic hour to CA was the only way we could've ridden Radiator Springs Racers twice without having to wait in the crazy long lines. The service was very good from everyone we encountered including valet, bellman, front desk and maids. The rooms are well-decorated and clean but not huge. The bunk beds were a cool feature. With the trundle under bunk beds, we were able to sleep 5 comfortably. We arrived late on a Saturday night and were able to view the World of Color show from the 6th floor terrace. You can find hotel rooms in the area at a much better price but the location really makes getting to/from the parks easy, especially if you have younger children.

• Stayed June 2013
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My family stayed in The Grand Californian for 2 nights. The hotel itself was nice but way over priced. I only stayed because it was a treat from my sister. I just don't get how the average family can afford to stay here. As it is we had a 40% discount.
I listed it as average because its as nice as the embassy suites down the road and for the $$ its nothing fancy. They had early admission to CA Adventure when we stayed but it took a half hour to get into the park, which doesn't really help much. I don't think I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room that faces the pool for a better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

From the moment you arrive, the family is in for a treat. They check over everything at regestration...leaving nothing out. Birthday, anniversary, any event is noted. Maps and folders are given out. With your room map in hand (could be long trup to the room) you will find a very nice appointed room for your stay...many with a great view. You will love your stay, as we did.
Being able to go into the parks right from your hotel is a BIG plus. VERY, VERY NICE. You also go right into Downtown Disney, another big plus. Only thing to add is - "please take us with you."

Room Tip: Ask for a good view - Downtown Disney, California Adventure Park and the swimming pool view, etc.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!