“A"Grand" Disney Grand California Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
San Luis Obispo, California
“A"Grand" Disney Grand California Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

From the moment you arrive, the family is in for a treat. They check over everything at regestration...leaving nothing out. Birthday, anniversary, any event is noted. Maps and folders are given out. With your room map in hand (could be long trup to the room) you will find a very nice appointed room for your stay...many with a great view. You will love your stay, as we did.
Being able to go into the parks right from your hotel is a BIG plus. VERY, VERY NICE. You also go right into Downtown Disney, another big plus. Only thing to add is - "please take us with you."

Room Tip: Ask for a good view - Downtown Disney, California Adventure Park and the swimming pool view, etc.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We thought we would treat ourselves to one night's accommodation at the Grand Californian Hotel. Wow....how lucky were we. This is a beautiful hotel and was greeted with "Welcome Home". I wish this was home! We were able to check in early as well. Loved the fact that you have direct access to California Adventure. We also took advantage of the early hour where we could access the park, and when we needed a rest we could easily make it back to our room. Nice choice of restaurants as well on site. Definitely will be staying here again, keep up the great work!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We've stayed in this hotel the last three times we were at Disneyland. The hotel isn't quite as nice as it was during our first two stays. The in room amenities aren't quite as good as they once were and the prices keeping creeping up. The hotel still has many pluses- close to the parks, central location in Downyown Disney, and the hotel staff is still very good, friendly, and efficient.

Room Tip: Concierge level. If you are active duty or retired military, you can get a pretty good discount and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have been a passholder for the last 10 years! I have a 9 year old with a brain disorder. You would never know to look at her however she is very sensitive and sweet.
If you want to go camping many of the surrounding hotels will do. Remember many of these properties have existed since Walt built the park!
Enough said...about that. After many years I have to say that staying at the Grand is the only way to do Disney! If you truely want to have a Magical time then this is the way to go... During the heat of the afternoon you can dip in the pool or stroll Downtown Disney... They are trained to have a very nice demeanor. If you have children and can save up and go all in for a few nights nothing comes close. Especially with the early entrance to the park and extra's only Disney does great.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of California Adventure its Grand!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Make sure you read before staying at Disney's Grand Hotel,

I really would give the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel a 1.5! The only thing I liked Disney's Grand Californian Hotel was the pool set up and the breakfast. The service Disney's Grand Californian Hotel was very rude and incompetent. I could me most assured that the management of the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel stunk very badly.

We drove 20 hours to get to the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and after finally arriving and conveying very appropriately that we wanted to hurry and get to a room. The incompetent person at the front desk proceeded to take 86 minutes to check us in!! I am not joking because i sent a facebook post when we walked in so i knew how long it was till I got to the room 86 minutes!! The front desk people (that we expierenced were very slow). We stayed at the hilton the night before and were checked in before my wife could even park the car!!
Thats not the worst part...This gentleman with glasses kept insisting that he print out 6 keys. He needed identification for my 4 year old!!?? "your son needs a key too he said" I said why? at this point we were running at about an hour waiting to check in at the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel (we had reservations by the way).

OK now for the next 25 minutes what in the world would the wait be this time? He needed to varify two credit cards (which were empty and paid off). This took 25 minutes and I felt uncomfortable doing 2 cc's because it would be hard to keep track off charges. LOW AND BEHOLD I WAS RIGHT. We found exactly 650 dollars worth of erroronoues charges at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. These were supposed to fall off and they didnt and I had a feeling they wouldnt. I just caught them this week and the trip was 4 weeks ago at the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel . I have a feeling hundreds/thousands fall victim to this tactic at the Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. The sloppy management at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel overlooks this tendacy in hopes to cash in on people that have so much in there accounts they wont notice. The two cc's helps propel this at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel.

After again reminding him my son didnt need a key he printed out two keys for him anyway (10 minutes). We asked to be upgraded to a view room at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. We paid another 200 dollars for this option when we made reservations. The view was off a corner of a sign 1000 yards away that said "CALIFORNIA AD....." and a Tree.

And finally the saddest part is we actually tried to cancel our reservations at this point. Still we couldnt talk to a manager! Only the slow guy at front desk! wow we cant speak to a manager? I wonder why lol. Probably because he has been asked several times already that night and finally said "i am not talking to anyone else you handle it from now on!!" at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel . They gave us a free breakast at a hotel a block away and talked it up like it was the next best thing since fried chicken. When we went to the breakfast at the paradise hotel Disneyland that they gave us for all the trouble we expierenced at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel it was probably the WORST breakfast i have ever had!! I am telling you the truth!! paradise hotel Disneyland has the worst breakfast known to man. They cook cases of food at a time and half the french toast was dry and crusty and the other half was way undercooked. Which means even the french toast was cooked hundreds at a time at paradise hotel Disneyland.

This made us feel even more dejected from the paradise hotel Disneyland and The Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. Another words get the bleep out of our hotel please. Thats our compensation. Kicking you out to a crappy breakfst! Thanks for the 2600 dollars we spent in three nights at The Disney's Grand Californian Hotel (over 2600 if you count fraud charges which they did credit back today finally 3 weeks later).

Stay clear people unless you have tuff skin and really love cool pools! The room service was fairly good too and nice.

Jondaviscfp@gmail.com CFP CPA

Jon Davis

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

It was my turn to pick the destination for our wedding anniversary so I picked this hotel because I love Disneyland. When we checked in we got an autograph picture from Mickey and Minnie congratulating our anniversary. The front desk was really nice and answered our questions and made us feel welcomed.Our room wasn't ready so the front desk stored our luggage while we had fun at Disneyland. The hotel lobby was huge and reminds me of a big log cabin up in the woods. Our room was also nice with a fridge and double bathroom sinks. The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was the small bathroom. A good thing staying at the Disney hotels is you could use any of the pools at the 3 Disney hotels and depending on the day you could go into one of the two parks an hour before it opens to the public. The pool area at the hotel has three different pools and a water slide in one of them. It was very relaxing. For a great dinner make reservations at the Blue Bayou at Disneyland. A little expensive, but worth the price. Also, there is Downtown Disney with a bunch of shops and places to eat with a movie theatre. If you don't mind spending extra at staying at this hotel it is so worth it and your kids will love it. I am already planning on staying next year.

Room Tip: There is only 1 location for the elevators and it is such a big hotel so try and get a room close by...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

In the afternoon of Day 2, strolling through California Adventure, my high energy husband said "I feel so relaxed." Wow! I knew I had planned and executed the perfect family trip.

Here's what helped us have 3 perfect days ay Disneyland. We all wanted the most flexibility, quality time together and value for our hard earned dollars, and we got it at the Grand CA. We booked 2 nights, and bought 3 days of park hopper passes through Disney Travel (and got fun lanyards, pins, luggage tags, and a free ride photo of our choice). We didn't want to feel rushed each day, so the 3 day hopper passes were the answer.

Next, we purchased Walkee app that allows you to track wait times of rides, read all about rides, shows, parades and attractions. This was so worthwhile. It allowed us to set our itinerary, jump from ride to show as desired and even go between parks during the same day (this is where we realized the value of the park hopper) as we saw "wait times" change.

When we checked in they immediately presented my daughter with a birthday packet from Minnie. Nice touch. I had booked the cheapest room, so at the desk, I asked if I could pay for an upgrade. They graciously offered one for free! It seems to work well to offer to pay, instead of begging for a freebie. We loved our pool view with peak views of the theme park and lights at night. Note: if you haven't been to Disney in awhile there are groves of mature trees everywhere. It is quite lush so even a standard, non view room would be fine looking into or over the canopies (floors 3-6).

Maximize your rides during the Magic Mornings. Pack breakfast and dash out the door. Pop tarts, bananas, coffee and milk (for our 4 year old) worked great for us. Use the park main entrances (the hotel sneak to CA Adventure had a long line every morning, but it was wonderful for coming and going during the day and saved us a ton of time). There were virtually no lines at rides early, and most allowed us allow to stay on for a 2nd or 3rd time if there aren't people waiting. We divided up during this time, which worked really well especially since the parks were so empty. It was easy to dash around and reconnect. By 10am, we had done as many rides as we needed, and were able to enjoy the many shows and other attractions.

By 11-11:30am, we beat the rush and enjoyed early lunches at Downtown Disney and poolside at the Grand. The quality was very good and the service was excellent (surprisingly speedy). Back to the room for an afternoon nap and/or swim, and a little planning for afternoon rides on our trusty app. Afternoons were a great time to use Fastpasses, which was fun to zip to the front of long lines, and we also enjoyed meeting all the characters.

We highly recommend the parades at both parks and enjoyed one each day. Walk along the route until you find your perfect viewing spot.

CA Adventures "food court" area was great. We loved Ghiradelli sundaes and free chocolate samples! We enjoyed light dinners (sandwiches, salads...) in the park and in downtown Disney, which were fast, good and less expensive. One night we ate at Wine Country Trattoria (in CA Adv) and shared a pasta, kids pizza and salad (very tasty and no leftovers which would have been wasted).

We will have to return another time to enjoy the evening festivities like World of Color and the fireworks. However my husband and I agreed getting back to the hotel by 8pm and out of the evening crowds is probably what made our vacation so relaxing and enjoyable.

For one more day add-on, head to the Inn at Laguna Beach and enjoy a day listening to the waves crash below your room. We loved playing in the clean beach, shopping through the quaint village and talking about our favorite rides at Disney. Mine - the tea cups which I rode with my father 30+ years ago, my husband loved California Screamin', our daughter loved it all.

Ride note: plan all the popular rides on Magic Morning or Fastpass, Screaming', Space Mtn and Matterhorn were empty during Magic morning - ride them multiple times, if desired. Luigi's Tires is cute but not worth the ride.

Happy travels!

Room Tip: Buy a the cheapest possible and hope for an upgrade. Higher floors are nicer for views and outlook...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!