“Great Place if you have the money” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #17 of 111 hotels in Anaheim
Vancouver, Canada
“Great Place if you have the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is our second time staying here. We stayed at Spring Break two years ago, and again for spring break this year. I wondered if we would enjoy our stay as much, and we definitely did.
The service is top notch! Staff is pleasant and helpful, rooms were clean, and the beds are very comfortable. I'm now looking for a new mattress, as the week in Disney was the first without back pain in a while ;). I always request a standard room in the vicinity of the pool, so we have a good location. Even without a "view room" we could see the pool, the Ferris wheel, and Redwood Creek Challenge from our deck. Beautiful when lit up at night! I agree with others though, that the room is not quite up to par for the price. It's nice, it's clean, and there are little Disney touches (look for the Mickey ears hidden in the carpet, and the Bambi scene on the shower curtains). It just doesn't have quite the "wow" factor you might expect. I read someone's review that said there were no safes. Don't know what kind of room they had, but safes are standard in the rooms. You definitely can't beat the proximity to the parks, and the early entry every day into one of the parks. We love this place, and plan to stay here again next time.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the pool or the Whitewater café. There are standard rooms in this area, and it p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

2,522 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

It all started when the family decided to take a vacation together after 20 years...
Booked our favourite Place on earth "The Disneyland Hotel" & soon after were steered to stay @ the 5 star "grand Californian"

The family Arrives after a long flight & Greeted by Typical Disney Staff after 15min waiting in Driveway

Then Walked through the Automatic doors into the Lobby & the Shocked began...

At first glance this property was an Overpriced Scout camp with staff

Friendly staff greeting & Room keys in hand... off to the room we go

Arrived at the room and the shock began??? is this Room worth $700 a night??? Not a chance in hell : at first glance this room looked like a crappy motel off a highway across America

No View, No Luxury, Nothing that could possibly motivate anyone to stay @ this Place other than the proximity to the Disney parks.

A Few Meetings with Managment : Kimmy, Christine, Jennifer, Jamie & Stephen
and the Experience went from Black to Bright...

Each and everyone of these people were instrumental in making our family reunion a Great Experience.

Rooms, Very Very Standard

Staff & Customer Service 5 star

Room Tip: Negotiate a great deal The service makes up for the Scout Camp atmosphere and room Set up
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

There are far better and far cheaper rooms nearby. But, Disney fills this place for two reasons and only two reasons: the location and the early entry to the parks. There are no other reasons to stay here, in what is basically an oversized motel with small rooms, mediocre food and long lines. But, like so many others, being able to get your kid back to the room for a nap (or an emergency diaper change) 4 minutes after stepping off a ride, and getting that golden one hour of early entry every day of your stay, will cause you to quickly hand over the highway robbery rates Disney charges.

It does have good beds, too.

Concierge level gives you a room on a higher floor and access to a private room with snacks and some kids activities. Don't believe anyone who says the higher rooms are good for watching the fireworks. Are access to games, a storyteller and cookies every night worth the additional cost? Only you can decide that.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Grobbendonk, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Ok, The location is the best you can get in Disneyland Anaheim. The hotel has is own entrance to Disney Grand Californian. That's good during the day, but in the morning the normal entrance was even quiker!
When I arrived there where some troubles with checking in. I booked this room through an travelagency. I took them something like 20 minutes before they had everything arranged. So I went off to the entrance, luckely realizing that something was not ok, they didn't gave me tickets for the parks. So back to the reception, and another 20 minuters before they found out that it was really inclusive to what I payed in Belgium. Room wasn't ready yet. When I came back in the afternoon for my room, it wasn't the room with park view I payes for, but one with a view at the swimming pool. But I was so tired at that moment (I travelled for 3 weeks through the southwest, Disney was my relax- end) that it didn't care anymore...
The room was a little bit outdated, but very clean and the evening turndown was ok. The hotel itself is not so Disney, it's more national park, but I liked that.Maybe when you come with kids you expect and you know Disney Paris you are a little bit dissapointed.
Dinner at the storytellers cafe was great. I ate at almost closing time, and my waitress had time to come to speak with me about my great journey the past 3 weeks. The last morning I ordered roomservice breakfast, not cheap - but it was more food then I could ate.
About Disney itself: only one word: GREAT, will definitely go back someday and will stay again at the great californian: for the location and the food. But will book it then through the disney website for make things easier!
And finally my best tip: go see 'world of color': It was the end of my tour and I cried like a child, that beautiful was it!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We took my son to this hotel on 26th march. Even he was disappointed. It's close to Disneyland and the pools are excellent. Other than this, I can think of no reason to book it. Rooms are average. No safe in the room. Dark and Un-inviting rooms with ageing upholstery and furnishings. Nothing like I expected for $600 a night! No breakfast, thats extra. No parking, that's extra. Next time we will stay outside and drive in for sure. Anything else in that area is better value.

• Stayed March 2013
Bismarck, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We just got home from there and I'm already wishing we were back! Service was excellent and our room was perfect! We ordered breakfast off the menu that was left in our room the night before and it was delivered on time and was delicious. The price might seem high but you get so much food we couldn't even finish it all! You also can't beat the location. The only thing I was disappointed about was when we went to the park an hour early and Mickey's Toon Town wasn't even open. That's the only reason I woke my small children up that early because I thought we'd be guaranteed to meet the characters and ride those rides. Some other rides weren't open until 8 am either, so it was kind of pointless.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lac du Bonnet, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our second visit to the Grand Cailfornian. We decided to pay the higher price to stay here because it is so very convenient to be able to walk from the hotel right into the California Adventure Park. It's especially great if you have younger children who need a break during the day or before the evening entertainment begins or if you are older (like us) and need to put your feet up between adventures. We checked in quite early and were really pleased that our room was ready AND that the DIsney upgrade fairies found us a fabulous room overlooking the pool. The king-sized bed and lovely linens were very comfortable for an afternoon respite between visits to the parks. Despite it being a very busy time of year at the park, there was very little noise from the hall, lobby or pool so we got a great night's sleep as well. Visiting Disneyland was a last minute decision during a recent trip to California. After checking numerous websites I contacted the hotel directly and got the best rate possible. Also, upon check-out, we were offered a second night at less than half price and wish our schedule had allowed us to stay longer. If you are thinking of staying at Disneyland, there are less expensive hotel options but I would really recommend you consider stretching the budget to stay at the Grand Californian as it is the most convenient location and will help make any visit even more memorable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!