As a frequent Disney park guest and big Disney fan, I was excited to stay at the Grand Californian.
I really wanted to be thrilled with the experience but instead I was left feeling it was just an average experience. Here's why:
We had just finished a 6 day Disney Cruise and arrived in Anaheim directly from the ship at approximately 11am. I had hoped potentially for an early check in, but was told that the earliest they might have the room ready was 4pm. When 4pm finally came we went to our room. We were staying in a Villa ( Disney Vacation Club ) room. The room was quite large, but sadly was on the ground floor facing a wall - we were just on the opposite side of Goofys Sky school. There was a path right outside our room and if someone was walking along there, they would have been able to walk right up to our double patio door. Not a huge deal, but didn't necessarily feel secure.
The room had an entrance foyer, large bathroom, mini kitchen, King Bed and large pull out sofa in the sitting area ( this was a villa after all). The furnishing were all in keeping with the Craftsman design of the hotel, but the room was dark. Dark and dare I say, slightly dreary. The room cost $440 a night - definitely costly.
Having stayed at Disney moderate resorts in Florida, they always felt fun and the theming more magical. This felt very sedate and glum. Walking down the hallway to our room it felt like i was in the overlook hotel from the movie The Shining.
Staying at this hotel has perks for sure - ability to charge everything in the resort on your room key ( similar to WDW). Package delivery to the room, dedicated entrance to DCA and early morning hours. Great restaurants as well.
My advice to parents - if you are looking for a great hotel for your family and want to stay at a Disney one - the Disneyland Hotel would likely be a better option. This hotel, while grand and beautiful lacks the magical feel of some of the other resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This stunning hotel offers premium accommodations and rich dining experiences in American Craftsman style and elegance. With its world-class spa, an impressive array of amenities and impeccable Disney service, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa defines grandeur in every way. Located in the heart of Downtown Disney District, this hotel is just steps away from exceptional dining and entertainment. And with your park ticket, enjoy an exclusive entrance to Disney California Adventure Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com and Tingo so you can book your Disney's Grand Californian Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Californian Hotel
- Grand California Hotel
- Disney California Hotel
- Disneys Grand Californian Hotel
- Disney Grand California Hotel
- Disney Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneyland Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneys Anaheim