“Great Location, Huge Cost” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20%
Ranked #19 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
California
“Great Location, Huge Cost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family loves this hotel for all the right reasons. It's festive, fun, energetic, simply fantastic service, etc. The best aspects are the service and the location. For Disney, it's a huge difference even from the other Disney properties. You can walk into CA Adventure in seconds and breaks are so much easier. I could go on and on re the positives.
The cons are the rooms are just boxes like any other $200 a night hotel. Sure they do them up a bit and the small touches are nice but it's still just a room. The fact they don't have pay for view movies still annoys me so be aware and bring any down time entertainment. The real issue is price. Granted we paid holiday rates but to pay $700 per night for a box is rather remarkable. That's before food, beverage and Disney costs. We pay for it so I guess we value it but it still gets to me. Right in the wallet.
I'd opt for off season...if it was up to me which it isn't...and for $400 per night, this hotel would be worth every penny and then some. Id say a bargain at $500 even given the positives.
If you're comparing the various Disney resorts as I do every year, it is worth the difference. The other two properties tend to be only fractionally less but the drop off in value is significant. This hotel is far far superior to the others in every way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family of four stayed at the Grand Californian the nights of Dec. 30th and 31st for the New Year's holiday. It is a beautiful hotel and the staff we encountered were polite and helpful. Our room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. We had a normal sized hotel room with two queen beds, 6th/top floor facing a quiet courtyard. Being on the top floor made our room light and bright during the day. I emphasize that it was a quiet location because we wanted to get a good night's rest the first night we arrived so we could take advantage of the 7am early entry into the parks. I grew up in Orange County but this was the first time I have ever stayed at a Disney hotel. I have always wanted to try it. It was a real treat to enter the park early and start the day without the hassle of driving, parking and ticket lines. It was also a treat to get our FastPasses early for World of Color and Radiator Springs Racers. Those turned out to be our favorite activities of the entire trip and the early entry ensured that we got to experience them without rediculous waits. It was also nice to have a room to retreat to for a break in the long day, to pick up water bottles or snacks, or to pick up or drop off coats. The Grand Californian was an extraordinary expense for a family of four but we had to try it once and we are glad we did. I am not sure that we would stay again but we would recommend trying it once if you can afford it. On a lesser scale, try either the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier to save money and get the same early entry and ease of returning to your room for breaks. Those were the greatest advantages of staying onsite. My other Disney tips are, California Adventure was much less crowded on New Year's Eve than Disneyland. Disneyland was too crowded and had a weird atmosphere of with all of the day-campers who pitched blankets camped out for the New Year's countdown show near the castle and for Fantasmic in Adventureland. Disneyland was much more pleasant on New Year's Day. I also recommend the color changing ears. They are wirelessly controlled so they change color with the World of Color, Fantasmic, and Believe shows. We got them for kids and they were so fun to watch the synchronization with the show. Watch your food receipts in the morning to see if you have a coupon off of merchandise if purchased before 1pm. That helps with the expense of the hats. We booked through Costco Travel. The price was the same as booking through Disney but the gave us a character meal and a few other perks as a part of the deal so you save money that way by booking through them.

Room Tip: We liked our top foor room as it was light and bright. Our's faced a quiet courtyard which was...
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I wasn't going to bother writing a review for our second stay at GCH but after just returning from their spa and having a most excellent treatment I felt I should. The spa itself is nice enough...clean pleasant atmosphere. If they ever do a reno they need to put in some changing rooms specifically for changing clothing. The only place to change is either the toilet stalls or the showers. Anyway on to my reason for posting. I had their "Bundle Treatment" The girl for the facial was very good, very knowledgable about products but at the same time did not push them aggressively. Cecilia did my massage and oh my goodness was she fantastic! Such a nice person and her technique was by far the best massage I have ever had. I had strained my back with the luggage and the Disney rides the last 3 days didnt help, but after seeing Cecilia it is much better. I told the Spa manager they are lucky to have such an excellent employee.
GCH staff as well have been very good. In particular the morning houskeeping staff has been very good about quickly completing any extra requests I had and I have to say every room service attendant we have met (and over the last 4 days we have had room service alot!) has been very friendly. Yes the price to stay here is high but in terms of our experience on this trip it is worth every penny.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Our stay was disappointing for one reason alone. The staff, and not just one or two of them, were indifferent or surly. I have stayed in many different 5 star hotels worldwide for business and pleasure and this one ranks the poorest for service bar none! I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2012
Hubbard, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The initial impression of the hotel is that of those hotels built in national parks by the railroads back in the 1920's and 30's. The exterior fits the image as does the lobby area. Unfortunately, that's as "GRAND" as it gets. There is nothing special otherwse except the price, which is way too pricey, even for Disneyland, which is now too pricey to visit except on a very special occaison. If you are comming to Disneyland and plan on staying in one of their hotels look for a package deal to save $. I give the hotel and both parks a poor rating because of price and because Disneylands upkeep, appearance, and maintenance standards have visibly dropped. I would also say the hiring standards of the castmembers/staff have also dropped.unless I just happened to be there for 2 days when about a third of the staff just felt surly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tucson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for four nights in late October, 2012. Check in was quick and impersonal. Communal areas were noisy, uncomfortable and busy. Room was dead average. Beds were fine but we had to get two queens rather than one king. Nice that it is a non-smoking property. We did not go to the pool but it must have been fun because there were so many people there throughout all four days. Restaurants are way too expensive for the quality of food and service. So nice to walk out of the hotel and be in Adventure Land or close to the entry to Disneyland. Really like the restaurants in the area I think is called Disneytown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We just completed a 4 night stay at the Grand Californian staying in room 2259. The room was small and we really wanted to get a room with 1 queen and 1 bunk bed but that was not available even though we asked for it a month prior. After deducting the cost of the park hopper passes and character meal at the Storytellers Cafe the room cost $600 per day. The bathtub drain was partially clogged and a puddle of water always appeared. The view was poor and the arch on the facade partially blocked the view which really wans't much unless you like looking at cars driving into the hotel grounds.
Room 2259 was the farthest from the lobby too. Staying here gives you the "privilege" of getting into the park an hour earlier than the general public but the wait to get in resulted in an 30 minute delay so we only had about 30 minutes before the hordes descended on fhe park. I think getting charged $22 a day for valet parking is just pure greed on Disney's part as well. We would have paid half of what we paid if we stayed at a hotel off of the Disney property.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!