“Great location, not practical for families with 5 people.” 4 of 5 stars

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Fremont, CA
“Great location, not practical for families with 5 people.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have had many enjoyable stays at this hotel, but they advertise their rooms are for 5 people and they aren't. If you have small children you may be able to make it work. We are forced to pay for 3 adults and 2 children, however no accommodation is made for the ages in the room. They always want to give us a room with 2 queens which is obviously not appropriate for three adults and two teenagers. And then we have to fight for the few rooms they have available with 2 queens and a day bed. This visit we didn't win and are stuck with 2 queens. One would think there would be a filter for people who really need this room, oh they also offer a sleeping bag- my 17 year old was not amused. For the price we pay, based on their ages, we feel ripped off. We will never stay here again. It is unfortunate that you have to throw a fit for them to give you what you want, we witnessed this many times, it's very sad that rooms are held for the people that yell the most. This is not how we like to conduct ourselves so we will look for other locations in the future.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (704)
Bakersfield, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The beauty of this hotel is truly outstanding, and it adds an indispensible ingredient of ambience to the Disneyland / California Adventure experience. Having said this, I found it odd to discover some unevenness with respect to service. For example, I thought that the check-in process was one of the worst that I’ve had. One pulls into the hotel into some sort of grand stage of an entry area and you’re virtually left with no clear choices with respect to getting your luggage to the room. I asked about getting a cart for our bags and was told that I could get one if I wanted to put our bags into storage…this certainly wasn’t where I thought that my bags needed to go at that point in time. I eventually figured out later that I could have put my bags into “storage” and then requested them after I had checked into the room. This was not clearly explained while I conversed with the bellhop who greeted me. On a similar note, I had difficulty leaving the hotel after checking out…the parking valet dropped the ball in retrieving my car. I figured this out after waiting outside for my car for about 25 minutes….

Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

$800 PER NIGHT for an outdated small room. We just stayed here at Christmas and though the lobby was decorated beautifuly it stopped there. All the things I could have done with this money, I'm emarrassed. Yes, location is great but I've stayed at Disney Pier and it was a few hundred feet farther from Downtown Disney and had character dining, etc. My advise is to save your hard earned money and stay one of the ohter disney hotels to get the early access and other disney amenities. There is absolutley nothing here worth that kind of money.

Room Tip: No room here is worth the $$ they want!!
Rialto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I took my granddaughters to this hotel for one of their birthday getaways. The hotel itself is beautiful. Wonderful, relaxing lobby area. Valet parking was great, but there is a fee of 25.00 a night to use this service. It was worth the money, as you would have to park across the street to find parking yourself and walk back across a busy street with all your luggage to go into the hotel. The check-in was fast and courteous and we got a special treat for our granddaughter because she was celebrating her birthday. But this is where our good experience ended. The rooms were very small, and not up to the standards of a 400.00 a night room. The bathroom was "TINY" and no extra towels were provided. It overlooked California Adventure park and had some noise level heard inside the room from the park. We originally stayed at this hotel because you could get 1 hour early admission into California Adventure park. However, when we went to use this early entry area it was so crowded a member from the hotel told a bunch of us that were approaching the line that we had to leave and enter through the front of the park entrance. Little did we know that the line out there was worse.
We also used room service one night; it took 45 minutes to get our food and it was overpriced. My last complaint was the pool area. We took the girls to the pool area to use their water slide. The pool area was really nice, however, the pool water was very cold. I assumed the pool would be heated. I had wondered why when we walked into the pool area, not many people were in the pool, and all in the hot tubs. One step into the pool and we made our way to the hot tub, too. What a waste of time to a much anticipated area at the hotel and quite a disappointment to our granddaughters. We did not stay there long. I have no idea why this hotel has a high hotel rating other than the location. It is the best location at Disneyland, but NOT worth the price.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, however, I doubt being any higher would make the room noise any better.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel room was stunning and kept immaculate clean, staff were friendly.
Would have been nice for sml milk for coffee, was a little disappointed in the greeting, arrived 6am no sleep and was handed a map to find my room and in such a large hotel I kept getting lost :(
Other than that it was a great place to stay

Room Tip: I think every room here would be great, walls are little thin
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel is all about location. PLEASE don't expect anything special, it doesn't match the 4* standard at all. The rooms are a little worn, service is nonexistant, the food (had roomservice several times) is overpriced but ok. I would never ever accept such a lousy value/buck-ratio in any other hotel. BUT: this is Disneyland and the hotel has an unbelievable location. You drop out of the hotel right into all the hustle and bustle of the park and vice versa. No need for long walks, exhausting fights at shuttle busses etc.; the kids love it. You can save all your precious time for the park itself. So: even if it does hurt to pay more than 500 USD/nite for a nothing more than average motel-level-hotel-room, you will be spoiled for a lifetime with this location. Once you have stayed here you can never stay anywhere else when visiting Disneyland!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are all unspectacular - don't waste your money on a view room.
Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Victorville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Summary: Don't stay here, save your money and stay somewhere else. Carsland Racers is either broken (a cast member says it happens daily) or there is a 3 hour wait. The service is terrible unless they are somebody who expects a tip. The 1 hr early entry is not worth the price of this hotel.

My family has gone to Disneyland for three years in a row. December of 2010 was by far the best trip we have had. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and they brought a towel folded into a birthday cake to my son on his birthday. On October 2011 we stayed at the Embassy Suites, about 10 minutes north of Disneyland, and saved money.

This trip was supposed to be special as we will be moving this spring and decided to "do it big" for our last visit. Disney started our trip by charging us $6000 for a $3000 stay, then took a week or more to get the money back to us, only to tell us we would have to rebook the room.

We had two character dining’s, one on my son's birthday and one on Christmas. The Goofy's kitchen was supposed to be the most memorable, but my we didn't know where any of the characters would be and when they would show up to our table. It seemed they spent an awfully long time at other tables and when they arrived at ours they wouldn't sign our children's autograph book. The storyteller's cafe was nicely lit and most of the characters were very nice about the time they spent on our table.

We reserved our room for 20-26 December and expected something similar to our stay in 2010 at the less expensive Disneyland Hotel. When we arrived my daughter felt ill and wound up getting sick in the lobby to which every Californian that walked by made a rude remark about her. She's 9 by the way, and they made her feel like she was the worst person to visit the hotel. The cleaning staff was alerted by an elderly couple as I ran to the nearest person I could find to get help.

The following day we entered the park and were very happy about walking from the hotel straight into the park.

The rooms look dated and there is a moldy smell, along with cracks along the tub. I'm pretty sure that $3000 for the stay should have given us some elbow room, but we weren't able to pass each other in the entryway. The soap was never replaced by the housekeeping staff and the only people that did a tolerable job were room service and the bell hop.

At one point, when I went to take a shower, I could hear all of the movements from the neighboring room. The bathrooms have thin walls, and poor ventilation. So save all of your gas and poop for the park, because all the locals do. Every few steps the park smelled as though somebody had just farted in your face, and we started calling them disney magic, or disney farts because it dominated the park atmosphere.

Room Tip: The Jungle View allows you to see the center of the hotel and you can see the monorail pass by. It...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!