“Convenience is what you are paying for” 4 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1600 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #17 of 111 hotels in Anaheim
Los Angeles, California
“Convenience is what you are paying for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Pretty nice hotel. You are paying to be on the property if this was not on Disney property and they were charging the same rate...this would not be worth it. However you are paying to be on the property and trust me when you are here for Disneyland it is nice to be able to walk in and out of your hotel without taking a shuttle or a long walk. It has direct access to California Adventure Park and you get Disney Magic Hours for parks. The rooms are nice and quiet...so the build quality of the building is nice and the walls are thick. For those facing Disneyland you can see the fireworks from your balcony. The valet is hit or miss....when we were leaving everyone except for the guy that brought the car was excellent. He stood there while we loaded up the car! Unreal! Lasting impressions are what we remember the most. I would suggest though if you are walkers and staying a long time to try other places on my review near Disneyland. Much better prices and let's face it how much time do you spend in your hotel when visiting Disneyland?

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms facing Disneyland to see the fireworks

2,521 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Got up earlier than folks I was staying with. Didn't want to disturb everyone sleeping. Went to the lobby for coffee, well you have to buy it. Even motel 6 has free coffee in the lobby. The tv the kids watch in the main lobby is a whopping 32 inches. Restaurants are not good and expensive. Wish we would have stayed down the street at a motel. Could have had better food and free coffee in the morning. Disney in general is a giant rip off. Havnt been here for some 20 plus years and boy did it lose its splendor. Very sad.

• Stayed November 2012
Bella Vista, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Absolutely spectacular in almost every way? I could not rate this property higher. We stayed at the Grand Californian Villas in a studio room using rented points from a Disney Vacation Club member. This wing of the hotel seemed much quieter than the main hotel areas with a lot fewer people around.

"Welcome Home!" the front desk cast member said, smiling as we checked in. (That's a nice greeting for DVC members... wish I was one!)

At 8am we were checked in at Grand Californian and given our room keys to use for early entry at California Adventure. The front desk staff told us that they would text my cell phone when the room was ready, we left our bags with the bell staff and reminded them that we had ordered groceries from Von's (free delivery!) - Since we don't drink, they could sign for it on our behalf. They told us to just call when we got to our hotel room and they would bring everything up.

California Adventure has a private entrance from the GCR, but there is only one turnstile there, so advise walking to the main entrance if you are lining up for park opening. The private entrance gets extremely crowded.

We got a text around 3pm that our room was ready. We went back, called the bell desk, and within 5 minutes all of our luggage and groceries were delivered. Our room, 5504 had a spectacular view of California Adventure (Paradise Pier area) and we could easily watch World of Color from our balcony (and did, three times!)

The studio villa was like an ordinary hotel room, but slightly larger. Ours had a king bed, a fold out couch, and a balcony. Bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was split with the sink in the hallway, but recessed so the light from the sink didn't quite make it around the corner to the bedroom where it could wake up the little guy. The toilet and shower were obviously separate, a pocket door installed to make everything more spacious. There was a large closet, with two bathrobes, vacuum cleaner and plenty if linens. The kitchenette had a dorm-sized fridge, microwave, toaster, and plenty if paper plates, napkins, paper bowls, and plastic cutlery. The studio was not equipped with washer and dryer, but there was one in the first floor that was free for villa guests.

I guess if I had one complaint, it was that the WiFi didn't quite reach our suite so it was flaky. Also, you needed to move the bedside table to gain access to a power outlet and only one side of the bed had a bedside table.

Overall the ease and convenience of this property, the early-magic hours (which make seeing Radiator Springs a possibility), and the elegance and "Disney Magic" that exists everywhere makes this property worth the money and then some. Hopefully we will be back!

Room Tip: Room 5504 (Studio Villa) overlooks Paradise Pier and you can easily watch World of Color from your b...
Laguna Niguel, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

After a wonderful day at Disneyland Park with four friends, they went home, and I walked around Downtown Disney and then went to dinner at Napa Rose for dinner.

Prior to being seated, I stopped at the concierge desk, and asked the young lady working there if I could get an escort back to my vehicle after dinner.
I was a woman alone, parked at the end of a 1/4 mile long parking garage, and it was night. I explained that I would feel safer if I was walked to my vehicle by security.

Alphonso (?) from security asked to speak with me, and despite the concierge explaining it to him, wanted to know why I asked for someone to walk me to my car. I explained again - night-time, alone, at the end of a very long parking lot, i would feel safer.

He dodged my request, and told me there were cameras everywhere, and that the parking lot was filled with people.

Cameras are NOT proactive, they are reactive. They cannot stop something bad from happening, they can only record what has taken place after the fact.

I was not happy, but it was clear he wasn't going to help me. he didn't want to bother. Having me watched on the cameras did nothing to make me feel safe.

I took the tram and entered the parking lot. Only ONE car and ONE person passed me on that quarter mile walk to my vehicle in that echoing, empty and enormous garage. It was not 'filled with people" as Alphonso (?) claimed.

Yes, I got to my car safely, no thanks to him. I was very disappointed in the lack of service from security. It would have taken someone maybe ten minutes total to make sure I was walked to my car from the hotel lobby at night.

This is not my idea of customer service from security, nor should it be. Protecting a guest at night should be a given. I am a paying customer of the park, and wanting to feel safe when alone at night on their premises is a reasonable request.

I can imagine the negative publicity that would have occurred had something bad happened, and the fact that I'd called and asked for help and been blown off came to light.

My entire visit to Disneyland, the Hotel and Napa Rose all had great customer service with the notable exception of security. Laziness and apathy isn't impressive, and is unprofessional to boot.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
La Quinta, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We liked the "Yosemite lodge-like atmosphere of the craftsmen style hotel, but it's interior was "tired" and in need of renovation; the rooms, at the prevailing price, were small, dark, and claustrophobic. The staff was very friendly and service oriented and the hotel is efficiently run. We had two rooms on the 4th floor near the elevators with a good view of the pool, but the hotel is huge, so expect to walk a lot if you get a room in the wings. The food venues, a cafeteria and an upscale dinning room were not good values - high prices with very medium food quality. Maybe we expected too much for over $300/nite.

Room Tip: 4th floor is nice, but ask to be near the lobby atrium and the elevators
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We just got back from our family trip to Disneyland and stayed at the Grand Californian Hotel for the first time. The hotel is pricey, but worth the splurge. Probably won't stay here for a while since it is expensive, but would highly recommend this place if you want to go all out. First off there are 5 members in my family that include a 2 year old and 7 month old twins. The rooms were spacious, we had two queen beds and a sofa/day bed Each room has a graco pack n play which came in handy for my two infants, I used ours and borrowed my parents which were staying in the room next to us with connecting rooms. With the two pack n plays set up the room was still spacious. Loved the extra hour in the morning in the them parks, we were able to do a lot in fantasyland before it was open to public. There is a lot to do for kids in the hotel, they have a little movie section with toddler size chairs, my daughter loved it. Downtown Disney was a few steps away which came in handy. My one and only complaint about the hotel was the ramps, there was a small ramp heading to downtown and Disneyland,the ramp was made for one way traffic. There were a lot of strollers and wheelchairs trying to go both ways and there were lines just to use the ramp. They should have thought about how many strollers and wheelchairs would be going in and out daily. Other than the ramps everything was amazing!

Sherman Oaks, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We've been to Disneyland many times and stayed at more reasonably priced nearby hotels. We've enjoyed Napa Rose previously and were impressed with the hotel’s décor. We decided to treat ourselves for Thanksgiving weekend for Disney’s Grand’s great location. The stay was very enjoyable. We had a view of the fireworks. The staff were all very courteous…. except the valet attendant upon departure.
No offer to help with the one piece of luggage we had while we were dealing with a sleeping child in the stroller even after I handed him the valet ticket with a tip. And maybe he didn’t notice my husband limping with a swollen ankle. This prompted me to write my first review.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!