“Supercalifra . . .” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Olympia, Washington
“Supercalifra . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. If you can swing it, stay on the concierge level. It's a hotel within a hotel with many nice extras.

• Stayed October 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
Bremerton, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My family stayed at the Grand Californian from 29 Aug thouth Sept 3rd. Check in was done quickly and they accomadated our requests, and our room was available at 8AM. We had a room with bunk beds overlooking a wooded courtyard with monorail passing through. The room itself was standard, clean but not emaculate. Service was great, magic mornings were great, entrance to DCA was wonderful. We were close to the main elevators so we were just about as close to the private entrance as you can get. The walk from hotel to Disneyland itself is comparable to the closest hotels on Harbor at the pedestrian crosswalk. So if money is an issue, stay at one of those.
The pool area was very tranquil and a great place to relax, Whitewater snacks was never crowded and a little cheaper than food in the parks.
The kids loved the bunk beds, and the chocalates every night. I really appreciated the turn down service as well. I wouldn't pay $400+ a night for this place, but at $200-$250 I think its a good value. We didn't have any problems at check in, but got there very early in the day, our confirmation slip also suggested calling 2 hours in advance of your arrival to preregister, which we did, so I would reccomend doing this, because this is a large hotel and I imagine check in time on a weekend could get pretty crowded. It is Disneyland afterall.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Other than the close proximity to Downtown Disney and the parks, there is no reason to stay here over any of the other chain hotels in the area. This resort is huge, but there is not enough staff to handle the size. Service is fair at best, while prices are high. The pool areas are way too small for the size of the hotel and the amount of guests. Forget getting a pool chair without hunting and hunting. No one cleans up the used towels in the pool area so that makes it worse. The rooms are plain and simple, and although clean the bathroom is old and basic, and in need of an upgrade. It would be a 5* Holiday Inn, or even a 4* Marriott, but the prices are at a much higher level and not worth it. Unless you are totally against driving or a bit of a longer walk from one of the good neighbor hotels, stay elsewhere in the area. The Storyteller restuarant was fine, but the poolside grill, Waterworks, was awful -- indifferent service and poor food quality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Spring Creek, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

My family & I had the opportunity to stay here on the 2nd & 3rd of September. All I have to say is wow. The level of service is outstanding. The location as is so often mentioned, unbeatable. I paid extra for the concierge level. It is definitely worth it if you fully intend to use this for your meals. We had all three of our meals here on Saturday. There is no rush so typical at a majority of continental meals. You can eat at your leisure & the Canoe Club is casual & comfortable. The nightly fireworks show can also be seen here comfortably.

I can't see anyone complaining about the service unless your a spoiled primadonna. If you are nice to the staff, they will treat you like royalty. If your a snob, you are going to complain about everything anyway.

The room was clean & impeccable. The only complaints I have are in regards to the bathrooms. The bathroom does not have a fan, the toilet is the low water GPM usage type that sometimes does not flush properly & the toilet paper is the lower quality G. Pacific type that is not uniform in quality. We buy the same TP for the State Park I work at.

That's it. I have no other complaints just compliments. Kudos to the wonderful staff that work there. They are genuine & good, honest hard working individuals. Of course the lobby is world class & the entire grounds are spotless & beautifully detailed. We will definitely stay here again if the pocketbook can afford it.

Room Tip: Get the basic / standard room if you are only sleeping there & not going to be there much.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

This is our second time staying here. We originally booked a room at the Disneyland Hotel. We were coming to celebrate our oldest daughters graduation from 5th grade. The plan was 3 days at the Candy Cane Inn and 2 days at the Disneyland Hotel. A few days before our vacation started I received a call from a Disney customer service agent informing me that the hotel was overbooked and we could receive a comparable room at the Grand Californian for the rate we were paying for The Disneyland Hotel. We were offered a Downtown Disney view room we which accepted. We checked out of the Candy Cane Inn at 2 pm. Check in for the Grand is 4pm. We drove around and did some shopping to kill time. Arriving at 3:30 we passed through the guard station to the valet parking. Hauling our bags in I noticed the lobby was full of people and luggage . Approaching the front desk I was intercepted by a host and asked my name and phone number. Seems the computer system was down and nobody could check in. They would call me when we could check in. Couldn't I have been told that by the parking attendant? We found chairs by the fireplace and waited. And waited. And waited. I went back a few times to find out what was going on only to be told to wait and I would be called. Ended up talking to a family from Florida that had been waiting alot longer. Finally I noticed people running towards the desk. I still hadn't received the official call to register. I ran for the line and took my chances. After a 20 minute wait we made it to the counter. Our room was ready! I wanted to take out my anger on someone but the person who checked us in was so nice. He gave my daughter an autographed picture of Alice and The Mad Hatter. 30 minutes after checking in I did receive a call that we could check in.
The room did have a nice view and we enjoyed the fireworks with the TV soundtrack each night. Overall it was a nice stay after the bad start. But it's not worth the extra money to stay here

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Rio Rico, AZ.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

After reading a whole bunch of reviews here regarding the Grand Californian, I was a bit hesitant about booking a stay here. After our family experience here though, I have no regrets whatsoever. This was our first time at the GC, and although we had always stayed at Good Neighbor places, like the Embassy, Hilton, etc., the whole family (myself, wife, three kids) are convinced that this is the only way to do the Disneyland Resort. CONVENIENCE being the biggest factor along with GREAT staff, made our three night stay unforgettable.
We arrived at approximately 1PM, and pulled up to the unloading zone and the hotel entrance. We waited in the registration line for about 5 mins. before speaking with a front desk clerk. Upon noting that we had opted for the Concierge Package, she immediately summoned Lisa and Samantha to continue the concierge check-in process. Both Lisa and Sam led us up to the 6th floor, where the concierge desk is located. While I continued with the check in process with Lisa, Sam took my wife and kids into the concierge lounge for some refreshments and to show them the included amenities.
We were then advised that our room was not quite ready, however Lisa told us if we wanted to head into one of the parks, they would text us when our room wass ready. During the entire check-in process whhich took about 10 mins., Both Lisa and Sam made us feel very welcome and special.
We decided to remain in the hotel while we waited for our room, and eventually ended up in the concierge lounge. We took the opportunity to help ouserlves to the beverages consisting of sodas, juice boxes as well as little sandwiches, fruit and other light snacks that were set out. Our room was ready within the hour, which I thought was very reasonable.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
On my computer
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

I think I was expecting more from this hotel. I have stayed at numerous Disney World hotels over the years and have become accustomed to a certain level of service/design at Disney Properties. The Grand is quite large but the rooms are rather plain. It reminds me stylistically of the Animal Kingdom Lodge or perhaps the Wilderness Lodge. The Lobby is pretty and it has a huge fireplace and couches everywhere to relax on. Our room had 2 beds and the pillows were quite comfy. Lots of linens, but it never got cold enough to use all of them. H20 spa products were a nice touch.

The hotel is VERY close to the parks though. You literally walk out and are in the California Adventure and it's a short walk down to Disneyland via Downtown Disney. Now one thing I hated was if I bought a drink (alcoholic) in the park or at the bars and tried to carry it over from one property to the next that wasn't allowed. They tried to claim they have separate liquor licenses but that is just silly. I am already paying through the nose for one Margarita, why should I have to throw it out and buy a new one 15 feet away?

The pools are good- there are 3 large pools, 1 kiddie pool and 1 hot tub. One of the large pool has 2 water slides (one for adults, one for kids) that are quite popular. They provide towels and life jackets so that's a nice plus.

The food there is alright. We picked up from WhiteWater Snacks often- they had decent beef nachos. The Napa Rose was highly over-rated but I'll save that for another review :-) And Storytellers was good but our waiter was surly and inattentive.

The parking is absurd- 15.00 per day to self park so if you are flying in look to take the DisneyLand Express bus ride. Though I do have one complaint about that. For our early a.m. flight the front desk insisted we be outside by 5:30 a.m because you can't actually reserve a seat. That was right when the workers were outside hosing down everything! Water was running around our feet and under our bags and to top it all off the bus doesn't even arrive until 6 a.m. I think they need to either start taking reservations to ensure accurate headcounts or tell their workers to knock off the hose party when paying customers are there.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Grand Californian Hotel? Share your experiences!