“Paradise Pier Was Made The Stay Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #32 of 115 Hotels in Anaheim
Las Vegas
“Paradise Pier Was Made The Stay Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We overall had a great stay at the hotel. Im going to give my stay a 4.5 out of 5 because unless everything was perfect, it cant be a 5. Seldom can any hotel deliver perfection so PP falls within what normally happens at a hotel. I spent a lot of time doing research on PP and reading others reviews. Also, I work at a 5 star hotel on the Las Vegas Strip, so I have a unique understanding of hotel ops.

The good - The people working at the hotel are castmembers and as such, give guests the highest level of personal interaction (are very patient and good natured). Our check in was very quick and the bell service did a good job helping us unload and get our baggage ready to deliver to our room. My desk agent was pleasant and asked about our stay (what are we celebrating). This was our first time to DLR, so we got first timer buttons. She gave us a nice view of Calfornia Adventure (more on this later). She also gave my 2 yr old daughter some free balloons, which she loved.

The room was nice, spacious and clean. We liked the decor and although its not as "Disney'd up" as Disneyland hotel, I felt we got our value in staying in the Disney experience while in the hotel (I only left the property twice for some take out and food to put into our fridge. By the way - Coco's restaurant is only 250 yds from the hotel and we ordered breakfast over the phone after reviewing the menu online and had a complete meal for three in about 15 minutes for about $20!) I dont have a lot of pics but I hope they are helpful. We liked having the fridge. Be forewarned though that the freezer section is open air and will freeze anything really close to it - we had some salads whos lettuce froze and its just yucky after that.

We did not have tremendous issues with the elevators as others have reported. We took the glass elevator up and that usually opened up before the others. It is an express elevator for only the top floors and did not have access from the room floors.

Kids TV room - very cute and helpful when wife and baby were waiting for me

The pool looked clean, but never used it. The fitness room was nice, but never used it. Why? Because after a full day at the park, we were exhausted. We walked 4-5 miles easy. We did watch the fireworks from the pool deck which was cool. The choreographed music is played to accompany the show!

We were on a budget so we didnt eat at the hotel restaurant but I saw plenty of others enjoying the food. We did make use of the microwave in the cafe to heat up left overs. That was nice to have available.

Business center - the hotel really shined here. i had a small crisis in which I had to send something back home. I called the front desk and was immedietly directed to the business center on the 2d (maybe 3rd) floor. They had Fedex service and assisted me in Fedex'ing my package at no charge! The agent even helped my get the package bubble wrapped. It was a great feeling to know that they were there to help

Gift shop - normal stuff but had some decent items on sale. The castmembers were great - very friendly and enthusiastic. Made chit chat with me during the transaction.

Concierge was very helpful and gave me good advice on places to eat. Was not trying to push me to Disney-only spots. Very helpful in giving directions

Parking - spaces are small but always found one near the entraces. No elevator, but that is what bell service is for! C'mon - 5$ to have someone move all your suitcases? Thats a bargain! Getting in and out was easy enough

Location Location Location - This is part of the reason to justify the cost - it was so convenient to the parks. Not sure what other travelers angst was all about for walking through Grand Californian - its beautiful, air conditioned, and a short cut!

Areas for improvement, etc. - Not much here, but Im being objective here

Construction noise - not PP's fault but very early in the morning (700) you could hear bangs and beeps which woke me up. I did have to wake up to get ready, but I would rather have done it on my own. This will end at some point so its not going to be a persistent problem. I think the frond desk agent should have informed us of this and I probably would have declined the view in exchage for quiet, but thats me.

Housekeeping - was not going above and beyond. First thought was that this was an individual and supervisor issue, not necessarily and epidemic. I informed the front desk and they were apologetic and knocked some $ off my bill. A fair gesture. They also gave me turn-down service (even though I had asked to have the room recleaned - I think this was a communications issue) with some chocolate coins.

TV was a old. Think Disney can spring for HD Flatscreens, but we didnt watch much TV anyhow.

Well, thats it. Hope this helps someone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel for two nights on Aug 12 & 13, 2009. Stayed on the 14th floor in a one bedroom suite with my new wife and my two kids - ages 12 and 10. Having the separate bedroom for the adults was a great idea as the living area had a large queen bed sofa sleeper that the kids said was very comfortable. The room was very clean and the furniture was fairly new and comfortable – as were the beds. Both bathrooms were spotless when we arrived and housekeeping kept them that way during our stay.

The level of service and hospitality we experienced at the hotel was well above my expectations – even for Disney. The first night I had to call the front desk to get sheets for the sleeper sofa (there were two blankets but no sheets in the closet). House keeping was at my door in less than three minutes with a complete set of sheets. The house keeper would not let me make the bed myself – I offered as it was after 9:00pm. The air conditioning unit in the living area (where my kids slept) started making a loud banging noise in the middle of the night. I called the front desk to arrange for engineering to fix it the next morning after we left for the parks. One call at 3:00AM was all it took as the unit was fixed and running when we returned later that day.

The guest services representative (where you buy park tickets) took a great deal of time with us to ensure we purchased the correct tickets for what we wanted to do and had time for. He even remembered my name the next evening when we returned from the parks and asked if we had a great time. The PCH Grill was very good – my wife loved her flame cooked Hawaiian pizza

The pool area was great. There are lifeguards at both the water slide and the pool area. All four of us really enjoyed the water slide!! The pool area had life jackets for little children to wear and all the towels you could ever need. There where adequate chairs available for everyone. The pool itself was clean and the water temperature was just right to cool you off.

The walk to the parks is only about 7 – 10 minutes if you take the short cut through the Grand Californian Hotel. There are plenty of signs that lead you through the hotel to the parks.

I would return to the Paradise Pier Hotel and stay longer if I could. As DVC members we spend most of our time at Disney World in FL.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We stayed at the Paradise Pier for spring break trip to Disneyland. We have stayed at the Grand Californian which is incredible but wanted to cut down on the budget some. Our room overlooked the park (they upgraded us for free). The room was nice, clean and quiet. The pool is on a deck and a little small but it was too cold for us to swim anyway.
Breakfast is available at a little cafe or you can pay the higher price for the buffet with characters. The walk, if you cut through the Grand Californian to Disneyland, takes about 8 minutes.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

I went with my boyfriend, my dad, his girlfriend, and her two kids. 6 people can't stay in one room so we got 2 rooms. The staff went out of their way to get us adjoining rooms! That was very nice throughout our stay! It was my Dad's birthday and they got him a 'birthday turndown' on our first night- he got a few mickey shaped rice krispie's that were dipped in chocolate.

There was construction going on at California Adventure, so the normal walkway you take into Disneyland was not there. Every time we came and went, we had to walk inside California Adventure to get there. A bit out of the way, but not horribly difficult.

I did not visit the pool while we were there, but the members of my party did. They were barely there for 20 minutes before they came up to take showers. They said the pool was so dirty, it was disgusting. We think all of the sunscreen and sweat that people had on their bodies might have caused it to be gross.It might have been that they don't clean it often, or that we caught the pool on a bad day. Not sure though.

One night we went to the park and when we came back, the maids had been there. They did a great job, but when they left they did not pull the door closed all the way. So our room door was open for a few hours while we were gone. It made me VERY nervous. So of course, I called downstairs to tell the front desk, they didn't seem very shocked, They said that the maids sometime do that. I guess it happens alot, they didn't do anything but apologize....

Overall the location is great. We loved being able to get into the parks early and then come back to the hotel during the afternoon when it was really hot and we were tired.

It's very expensive compared to some of the hotels at Walt Disney World, but I guess everything in California is more expensive!!

East Bay, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

We had an awful time at the Disney Paradise Peir Hotel.
First room we got checked into was the most disgusting room, something you would find at a motel 8 off a truck travelled road in the middle of nowhere.
The bed smelled of urine, the carpet was covered in candies, popcorn, candy wrapper, gumballs, papers, magazines (All throughout the room), strings.. u name it.
The window glass, from top to bottom covered on greasy marks, fingers, face marks on the WHOLE window.
My daughter walked around the room for 30mins w no shoes, with her socks on and at the end of that period her socks were BLACK with dirt and who knows what else!!!!
I have pictures of the socks AND the condition of the room that I will be posting for people to beware of the facility.
When I complaint to the front desk of this problem, they were totally unphased, like this was normal or even expected/routine!!! no one apologized for the inconvenience. The lady was kind enough to switch us to different room.
The new room (13th floor) had absolutly no air circulation in the bathroom, no air circulation in the hallways, the carpets in the room were just as dirty, in particular UNDER the beds, you could tell no one EVER cleans under the beds.
The pool was a whole story on its own, water was dirty, couldnt even tell when was the last time they cleaned it or even used chlorine in the water (tasted like sweat! maybe it was meant to be a salt water pool? and yes like it or not, people do get the occasional taste of pool water)
Half the restaurants they have posted on their website are no longer there. PCH buffet is extremely expensive for the quality and variety of food. The service was mediocre.
Overall, we are extremely unhappy with this whole Disney Experience in the "happiest place on earth", which at this time seems like a big fat joke. Waste of money, waste of time, very disappointing in a resort which is to be pretty high ranked.
Invest the extra money on a different hotel, or stay out of the resort altogether.

Truckee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Our stay at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel exceeded our expectations. We were not exactlysure what to expect since this hotel was the least expensive of the 3 Disney hotels. Upon arrival the woman who checked us in was very helpful and informative. She told us all about the hotel, its amenities, explained the taxes and fees, parking, and even drew on our map the quickest ways to the parks in the morning. She saw our toddler was getting fussy and gave him a balloon. That made his day!

Our toddler LOVED the goofy character in the lobby and giggled watching cartoons in a beach themed children's television room. The pool alone was worth the stay. There is a pretty large main pool, kiddie pool, jacuzzi, and very fun slide. The hotel definitely has that California beach theme in a subtle way.

The location cannot be beat. It is a short walk through downtown Disney to Disneyland or right through The Grand Californian to California Adventure. Parking was in a covered garage.

There are many options for mealtime. We ordered breakfast and found it to be just right and not overpriced. For lunch the Stoytellers Restaurant at The Grand Californian was amazing. Try the Cobb Salad or Chicken Sandwich.

Needless to say we will definitely stay here again. It is worth every penny to stay here. We left wishing we could stay longer! This resort is elegant but not pretentious.

Service: A+++
Accomodations: A
Cleanliness: A
Hotel Amenities: A
Parking: A

Inland Empire, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

My family frequents the Disneyland resort, and even though we live only a half hour away, several times a year we take mini-vacations and stay at the park. Yes, the Disneyland hotel is the first amd has probably the best pool of all the hotels, and Yes the Grand Californian is superb in it's elegance, but by far the best value, the friendliest staff, and the best hotel for families with children is the Paradise Pier. Try to get an elevated room with a view of the California Adventure Park. The view from one of the upper floors is one you won't forget. We have used all three hotels, but the one that treats us like family and makes us welcome everytime we are there is the Paradise Pier. Kids will enjoy the water slide in the pool area and also the movie theater on the first floor that looks like you are at the beach. All of the hotels are on the pricey side, you pay for the Disney name after all, but take advantage of discounts offered to season pass holders to lighten the load. Also, take advantage of the concierge package if it is available. you get drinks and snacks in the evenings and a nice breakfast in the morning.. When at the Disneyland resort, THIS IS THE PL;ACE TO STAY!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family