“Very satisfied staying here for first trip to Disneyland” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Ranked #32 of 114 Hotels in Anaheim
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington State
“Very satisfied staying here for first trip to Disneyland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Stayed from Thursday to Monday (12-16 March) on a very good discount deal (approx $140 per night). For the price we paid, I was very satisfied with staying in the Disneyland resort area for our first trip to Disneyland (we have visited Disney World several times). We have three children (ages 6 through 10) and found the room size to be large enough to fit us comfortably. We had two queen beds and a sofa (which converts to a twin bed) for use. The room as well as the bathroom was in very good shape and we found the rooms to be very very quiet! Even with children all around the resort and in adjacent rooms, we never heard any loud noises from other rooms.

We stayed on the 13th floor overlooking the Disney California Adventure Park (DCA) and really enjoyed the view. At the end of the hall, is a small balcony where you can see fireworks over Disneyland for the night show. Although we didn't go, we were also told that they pipe the music from the fireworks to the 3rd floor pool deck and you can watch the show from there as well.

We were very pleased with the the housekeeping and staff who were all very pleasant. Service at the Surfside Lounge snack bar and PCH grill was very good and (relative to Disney's general higher prices) was a good value compared to many other places to eat nearby. (example: $60 counter service dinner at an express cafe in Downtown Disney versus $60 sit down dinner at the PCH grill which was much more relaxing and good for the kids; $40 counter service while you fight a crowd during the lunch rush in the hot sun at DCA versus $50 sit down lunch meal at Surfide Lounge with no crowds and good service which allowed the kids and us to recharge)

The highlight of the hotel for us was the pool area with a really nice separate giant slide. We took advantage of an afternoon pool break after visiting the parks each day which was a great way for the family to recharge.

It was nice staying on Disney property and we averaged about 5-7 minutes to walk to Downtown Disney and about 12-15 minutes total to get to the main gate. We also liked using the monorail from Downtown Disney straight to Tomorrow Land if you are a resort guest.

There is so much to say, however, the main thing to pass along is that Paradise Pier is a fine choice for a family of 5 or less (for 1 room) to enjoy their stay at Disneyland! I think the main issue has to do with what price you could book the room at. While it is all relative to individual taste, I think that paying more than $200 per night (which seems to be the usual rate) would seem to be overpriced but that seems to be the premium you pay to stay at a Disney property. Also, for those trying to compare Disneyworld resorts to Disneyland, I give an edge to my experiences at Disneyworld just for the sheer size which makes dealing with same-sized crowds easier to deal with (one tip: go to the park and be at the gate 30-40 minutes before opening time - lines at all rides were very short compared to what they got up to by 11am). However, it is almost unfair to compare the two resorts and their hotels because it seems like apples and oranges. Bottom line, if you are committed to a Disneyland trip, don't hesitate staying at Paradise Pier, we were very satisfied and pleasantly surprised by the good value at the restaurants within the hotel. (oh, one last thing - for character dining - recommend Goofy's Kitchen at Disneyland hotel - we got in for the buffet dinner and the kids loved it)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Sylvabell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

Stayed 4 nights and had a really great stay. Was a bit worried about staying at a Disney resort with no children but had no problems. Yes, there were families everywhere but the rooms are quiet and there was no noise issue at all. Didn't experience the much talked of problems with the lifts but my room was quite high so maybe that helped.

Was able to check in at 8am which was a blessing after a 12 hour flight. All staff were up to the usual helpful Disney standard. Travelling in early Feb, it was off season and so I saw everything in both parks in 2 day and had the third day to stroll around at my leisure. My only complaint would be that it is very hard to get "off world" as they offer no options for leaving the Disney precinct.

Well worth the expense if you are a fan and want total Disney immersion, even a solo adult.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

The staff (or cast members) at this hotel are great, just like all Disney hotels. This was our second stay at a Disney property (the last one being Disneyland Hotel), and I was a little disappointed. We chose the Paradise Pier because we got a great discount on the room. The rooms were very average, not decorated with a Disney theme, and a long walk to the park and Downtown Disney. This is tough when traveling with 3 young kids, especially after staying in the parks the entire day. But the biggest disappointment was the pool and water slide. The pool was no bigger than a large personal pool at your neighbors house, and the waterslide was below average (not to mentioned closed during our stay). The next time we go to Disneyland, we'll either stay back at the Disneyland Hotel, or quite possibly one of the close hotels on Harbor Blvd.

Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

We've now stayed at this hotel several times, and it's our top choice for Disneyland. The staff is very helpful and friendly, rooms are big and well appointed, and the location is so convenient. The addition of a seriously fantastic Japanese restaurant makes this place a can't miss.

The rooms are, well, roomy. The standard room has two queens and a fold out couch. TV is typical analog type, but fairly big. Flat screen would be a nice touch, time to uprade! Rooms are alway very tidy and the hotel is quite modern. It was my husband's birthday during our stay, and the staff was obviously trying even harder than usual to make our stay special. Mickey Mouse Rice Crispy treats were delivered shortly after we checked in, the housekeepers presented us with a birthday cake fashioned from washrags and ribbons, and there was a nightly turndown service.

As I mentioned, cracking good Japanese restaurant Yamabuki is onsite, but the PCH Grill is no slouch either with tasty American style food. Very nice pool as well, with a large lounging area. Plenty to keep the kids occupied on the ground floor with a TV room showing non-stop cartoons and a video game room. For the adults, there's a bar on the ground floor and a fitness center.

You can walk to the parks in about 5 minutes. Either head towards Downtown Disney to the Monorail station or cut through the Grand Californian (this option is only for those staying at one of the 3 resort hotels).

If you've got the big bucks, by all means stay at the Grand Californian. In my opinion, the Disneyland Hotel is past it's prime and way overpriced.

Paradise Pier is the best deal at the resort, and a real bargain if you have an annual pass.

Antarctica - McMurdo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

Because this was both my niece's and my boyfriend's very first time at Disneyland ever, I read the reviews and waffled over where to stay on my trip to Disneyland for months. Finally decided to stay at one of the three resort hotels, so I called the Disney hotline and got a very helpful (and jovial) lady on the phone. She described the two that I was trying to pick from in great detail, and sold me on the Paradise Pier Hotel because their 1-bedroom suites have two full bathrooms, so I thought that was a really great value since the Disneyland Hotel suite was about the same price, but only has one bathroom, and there were up to five of us at one point on this trip.

When we got there, we were blown away. The staff was super friendly and courteous, the room was way bigger (and a little nicer) than I imagined, and we had an amazing view of California Adventure. There was construction going on over there, but at night, you can't really see that part. All you see are the lights, and of course, you can hear the people screaming on the rides...heehee... Our very comfortable two queen beds were turned down with chocolates on the pillows, and there were plenty of extra pillows and blankets for the sofa sleeper and the beds. My little 5-yr-old niece was so impressed! That's about all we needed. The sofa sleeper is in a large L-shaped sofa and you could easily fit three or four small kids on that.

The PCH Grill, home of Lilo & Stitch, is inside the hotel. We went to brunch there and enjoyed both the food and the company. We ate with Lilo, Stitch, Goofy, Daisy Duck, and Minnie Mouse! It was so exciting for the kids, and so much fun to watch them getting all giddy over the characters. The buffet was very nice, with lots of fresh melon, strawberries, and pineapple, eggs cooked to order, and Mickey Mouse-shaped waffles, to name a few items. It's all you can eat, so I thought it was a good value. We also ate at the PCH Grill for a late dinner our last night at Disney, which was again very good; some of the best fish and chips I've had, actually, and they have a tasty selection of cocktails, both with and without alcohol.

I thought we would need the Concierge service, which costs a little extra, but it wasn't available this trip because they're currently remodeling their Concierge Lounge. I suppose it would have been nice to have, but we really didn't need it after all. Maybe during the busier times of the season it would be a little more necessary. I would recommend though that you bring some snacks, sandwich fixings, and favorite beverages along (there are fridges and microwaves in the rooms), especially if you're staying on a weekend and plan to "close the parks" each night. There is room service for one hour after the parks close, but then you have to wait for the food to be prepared and delivered, and if lots of people order room service, you might be waiting awhile for your food. The coffee maker is tiny and isn't really ideal for more than two people, so we didn't use it. I recommend if you like to have coffee as soon as you wake up, bring an electric hot-pot and coffee press, or, any other type of coffee maker, and your own coffee. Otherwise, there's a cafe/lounge downstairs that had pretty good coffee to go, but you of course have to get dressed before you go down there. It also serves pastries and other snacks.

The only thing I was disappointed in was that we didn't get to eat in the sushi restaurant, also on the premises. Oh well, next time...

One other thing to mention, or I should say, person to mention. Rich, from Ontario Canada - what a great guy! He is one of those Disney employees who really knows how to make you feel special on your stay. If you do stay at Paradise Pier, Rich is always out front during the daytime, with his corny jokes and straw hat. Make sure you stop and say hello!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights over President's Day weekend. The 4th night was free. While this hotel is farther from the park entrances than the other two Disney properties, we were overall pleased with our stay. Our room, a suite, had plenty of room for four, including two bathrooms. The room was clean and comfortable; although the hide-a-bed was horrible. But the couch was large enough that one teen slept fine on the cushions. The only other complaint we had was not enough wattage in the lights. Very hard to read at night. The stafff was always accomodating and very pleasant. We never ate at the hotel, so cannot comment on that. We would stay here again.

Thousand Oaks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

I went with a friend and her two teenaged children for one night on February 12th. The pool is heated and nice. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated. They are basic hotel rooms, nothing special, but perfectly good with a few cute Disney touches. We paid the pass holder discount rate of $139/night. The hotel itself is not worth more than that, but the location is.

It's a quick walk (cut through the Grand Californian) to Disneyland. This hotel seems to be closer to the parks than the Disneyland Hotel, but I didn't test that out.

We ate dinner one night in the hotel restaurant and the food was good. I got coffee and cereal in the morning at the coffee bar.

One negative was that the room was warm the entire time. I could not set the air low enough. I forgot to tell the desk when we checked out.

The only other drawback was that we had requested adjoining rooms and they couldn't accommodate us. I was surprised, but didn't push the issue. They put us on the same floor, but at opposite ends of the floor. Had we been staying for longer, I would have pressed the issue. It makes a big difference to be near your party.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again.

• Liked — Close to Disneyland
  • Disliked — Warm, stuffy room
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!