“Fair Warning!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 112 hotels in Anaheim
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Fair Warning!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Over the last 10 years I have done quite a lot of traveling, staying in all types of hotels & this hotel (the Paradise Pier) has the WORST internet connections of any I've ever stayed in. I've stayed at cheap hotels with better connection than this hotel & it's a "resort" hotel? The rooms are nice, staff is very nice, location to the parks is ok if you are a very healthy, illness free person. It is a long walk for someone with back issues to the Disneyland Park. If you don't need internet connection & all you want is a fairly close place to the park then this is a fairly good hotel to stay in but it is NOT worth the money when you have kids that want that Wi-Fi for all their "toys". They have NO Wi-Fi, it is Ethernet connections only. I know if I ever come back to CA I will NOT choose this hotel!

Room Tip: I just can't! If you don't need Wi-Fi or internet connections at all it's a decent but...

1,359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

O.k., we are not the type of traveler to stay in the Disney hotels, mostly due to price. We have stayed at many of the hotels on Harbor before and been quite happy with the price and location of those in the past. This trip, we thought will be our last one to Disneyland for quite awhile, so we opted for the Disney experience.

The hotel is comfortable, clean, and what I would expect from a Disney hotel. The beds were very comfortable and I slept soundly each night. The rooms look just like the website pictures so there are no surprises there. Having a refrigerator in the room is a definite plus for us traveling with food allergies. Plenty of storage for unpacking bags and food we brought. Bathroom was roomy and bathtub was clean. chocolates on the beds each night was something the kids looked forward to.

We didn't spend too much time in the room, as we spent all the hours that Disneyland and DCA were open, at the parks. Didn't use the pool, but it looked nice. Didn't even get into the gift shop at the hotel, but it looked nice. There really seemed like there was a ton to do at the hotel, especially if you had little kids, but we did not experience those things.

One thing you get a Disney, is always great customer service and I'd say we got that in every way. They are great at making you feel special. We didn't expect anything with a view, but we were on the 8th floor with a view of the pool, which was fun. We had adjoining rooms, which was also nice. They couldn't guarantee it, but they were able to accommodate it and it was a nice thing for our group.

It was a good experience and we are glad we stayed here.

Pahrump, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We booked our room on the concierge level because my husband wanted a patio area so he can lounge outside and enjoy the lovely78 degree weather. I would encourage anyone to upgrade to the concierge level just for the fact that they offer snacks, wine, beer and soda throughout the day, plus a fresh continental breakfast. Other services on this level are helpful if you need assistance with tickets, tours or just want to lounge around somewhere besides your room or in the parks. The pools at the hotel are great, plus they have a huge waterslide that my son absolutely loved. The restaurants and bars in the hotel are fabulous and offer a character breakfast. The gift shop is also nice for the last minute gifts that you might have forgotten to buy at the park. We visited the hotel for my son’s 13th birthday and we were upgraded to a suite. It was a beautiful room with an obvious care for cleanliness and presentation. Even 4 to 5 star hotels in Las Vegas cannot match up to the attention to detail that was found in this suite. Walking distance to the parks takes around 5 minutes; make sure you cut through the other Disney themed hotel for the most direct route. Plus in case you get turned around somewhere there is always someone there to help get you in the right direction. Also since I’ve also stayed at hotels further away and even those on main streets just outside the park, the convenience of staying at Paradise Pier is when your walking back at 10:00 pm or later at night you don’t encounter as much of the non-Disney pedestrians that can be out late at night. The last benefits I would like to mention is that since you’re paying for parking you can leave your car there at the hotel on the day of check-out. The bell desk even held our bags for us until we returned to pick them up later that night, over ten hours after the time we checked out of the room. This is nice for those who want to squeeze a day at Disney in, on the day of their departure. The convenience, attention to detail, friendliness and theme of the hotel are all things that will definitely bring me back to The Paradise Pier.

Room Tip: Book the concierge level, it's worth it.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have stayed at the Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland many times and found it wonderful. This time we stayed at the Paradise Pier Hotel for a change.

What a lovely hotel!!! It felt warm and friendly. If I had small children this is definitely the hotel I would take them to. Every staff member was friendly. The rooms are pretty much the same layout as the Grand Californian but the prices are cheaper at Paradise Pier.

I have to commend Karen at the Bar. She was so warm and friendly. She could not do enough for us. She was never short of a story and a good laugh.

Room Tip: I wouldn't bother paying the extra for park view room....we didn't even really look out the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Antioch, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have been going to the Disneyland Resort for 20+ years now and almost always stayed at a "Good Neighbor" hotel for budget reasons. I could not stomach the idea of spending $250-400+ a night at a Disney property when I could get other accommodations around the park for under $100. We decided to give the Paradise Pier a try for one reason only: location. Except for the Grand Californian, there is no closer hotel to the parks. So having given Disney a shot, I can see the differences. The property was CLEAN, and I mean SPOTLESS. I have never seen a property this well cared for. Our 5th floor room was nice and comfortably fit the five of us with 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper. The couch bed wasn't your typical futon or pullout, but the seat panel flipped over and became a very comfy mattress that our kids actually fought over. The check-in paperwork identified our room as a "city view" but it actually faced the park - although not high enough for us to see anything. Check in took a long time, which was a bit frustrating, but the staff were very nice about it. Everyone from the front desk to the bell desk have obviously been trained to provide the famous "Disney magic." There are planned activities every day, so it has more of a resort or cruise ship atmosphere than your average hotel. The pool looked great, although we didn't use it (despite the fact that it was January, and 50 degrees out, there were guests swimming...they were clearly insane). We didn't even think of eating at the PCH Grill because it's a character breakfast and therefore outlandishly expensive. I had thoughts of grabbing a bite at the more affordably priced Surfside Lounge, but it looked more like a bar and wasn't very inviting for my family. Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney ended up as our typical breakfast hangout, although I also vouch for Flo's V8 Cafe in California Adventure. The walk to the park is short, as walks go - 5 minutes to the Grand Californian's "secret" California Adventure entry, and 10 minutes to the front gates of Disneyland. Staying at a Disney property gets you some status around the resort, including "Extra Magic Hour" entry at whatever park is opening early. Another perk is you can have your purchases delivered back to the bell desk, so you don't have to lug your bags around while you enjoy the parks. They can be picked up after 7 the next morning. Other reviews mentioned long waits for the elevator during the morning rush, and while we didn't have any issues, it could be a problem during peak season. There are only 4 elevators serving the resort, and I think 1 of them is dedicated to the concierge floor only.

Room Tip: Pay extra to get a room on the upper floors if you want a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Folkestone, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on an LA stopover and really enjoyed our time here. We are regular guests in Disney hotels in Orlando, Florida and were interested by the differences.

Check in was smooth and friendly, and concierge/bell services were very prompt and helpful with our cases and getting a wheelchair for me. Room was spacious, clean and modern with a subtle theming to Disney. This was really the major difference with Florida Disney hotels, the theming was minimal at Paradise Pier. There was one large (Donald Duck) poster which was fun, and a few small "mouse" touches, but it didn't scream Disney in the way the Florida properties do but was nicely decorated and welcoming.

The walk into Disneyland and California Adventure wasn't too far - around ten to fifteen minutes (I was in a manual wheelchair with my husband pushing). We did get a bit lost going through the Grand Californian hotel on the way, but staff quickly helped us.

If you don't want to go into the park you can see some of DIsneyland's firework display from the pool deck - they pipe music onto the area behind the bar but not into the pool area itself. The view was good but not great, since it's designed to be seen from the park!

While at Paradise Pier we ate dinner via room service one night. The service was prompt, the food hot and tasty and reasonably priced. The only frustration at the hotel was the odd divide between drinks sold in the shop and drinks sold at the cafe/bar. We had to buy bottles of diet coke from one but bottles of vitamin water from the other! It was a small glitch in an otherwise excellent stay. I would thoroughly recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Paradise Pier for two nights in between Christmas and New Years.

It's a really nice hotel and has the benefit of being on site at DisneyLand (a 10-15 walk) from park entrance.

We've stayed a lot at DisneyWorld resort hotels in recent years. In terms of size and theming its not a patch on what's in Florida and its pretty pricey (five star prices for three to four star facilities).

That said. the service was Disney quality from start to finish. My wife has mobility issues right now and they offered a wheelchair for the duration of our stay for no charge.

The first night we arrived quite late. We watched the DisneyLand fireworks from by the swimming pool the first night before retiring for a good room service dinner.

The room is a reasonable size with a comfy bed and good pillows. Views over California Adventure Park were good. Bathroom was good too.

The next day we went to DisneyLand park. It's a bit of a walk as I said - cross the road (with not a brilliant dropped kerb for wheelchair) and then walk through the Grand Californian Hotel (a super, super hotel that looked on a DisneyWorld resort standard) into DownTown Disney and then through to Park entrances.

We spent the next day by pool before flying on late that night - which is pretty dull as pool areas go and in the winter there's no pool bar or any drinks out there. The cafe on the ground floor is decent, but nothing to write home about.

All in all it was a nice stay, if a bit pricey. Our views are probably coloured by our experiences in Disney World in Florida where the on site hotels are pretty fantastic.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!