“Better than the Disneyland Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 S Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92802   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #27 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Better than the Disneyland Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I must say I was impressed with the Paradise Pier. After staying at the Disneyland Hotel, I said I wouldn't go back. The atmosphere was amazing but that was about it. At the Paradise Pier, we had a good view, the rooms were a little bland, but the customer service was excellent. I stayed with my grandmother who has a hard time walking long distances, so they found us a room right next to the elevator. It was a little noisy in the hallway being next to the elevator, but it calmed down around 9 p.m. and was quiet for the rest of the night. The rooms were very clean and passed our cleanliness tests (The Disneyland Hotel did not). It was a nice walk from the hotel through downtown disney and onto the monorail. The price was less than the other Disneyland Hotels, but still more than we will pay every time. We only do these hotels as a treat. The staff was quick and willing to help us with all our needs. If I had the money, I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Vacaville CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was or third stay this year. Our other two stays were great, which is why we decided to stay here again.
Each stay we have booked a conceirge view room.Each time we have gotten a different room on a different floor. We arrived November 14th,2012. The front of the hotel was closed off. You could not walk through the lobby, or out to the parks this way. Our taxi driver dropped us off at the back of the hotel.
The Lobby had a big curtain around it. It was also closed the first day of our stay. There was one family checking in. As a conceirge guest you can check in downstairs or on the second floor in the conceirge lounge. Not knowing if our room would be ready at 12pm we decided to check in downstairs incase we needed to store our suitcases with the bell hop. The cast member who was helping another family said she would be right wth us, which drew the attetion of another cast member further down the counter working on something else. She called us up..She was nice. But, didnt really seem happy to there.A, seemed disapointed when I said we would check in downstairs. She said she saw we were celebrating a 16th birthday. I said Yes, and told her how lucky we were to get an upgrade the last time we were there. She told us they only do upgrades when the hotel is completely booked. And, they arent even close to being booked. I smiled and said thank you. She then spent some time finding us a room.After standing there for about 15 minutesshe told us none were available. Really?? I thought the hotel was empty? She would text us about 3pm-4pm for our room number. Off to the parks we went.
3pm no text, 4pm no text, 5 pm no text. We had a early fight. Tired. Parks were only open to 8pm so we really wanted to settle in and get back to the park. Went back to the hotel..all the way where the parking is to get in. There was a line at the front lobby so we went upstairs, to the conceirge lounge. There was our very friendly disney welcome that we would normally get. I explained the situation, he checked in the computer and although she confirmed our phone number she didnot link it to the system. so.. no call. He apologized, left for a minute and came back and told us that we have been upgraded to a suite. e also gave us two fast passes.
So, conceirge rooms are normally on the 3rd..14th or 15th floor. They are a bit larger and have the advantage of the glass elevator, the glass elevator only goes down on these floors. Views on the 14th/15th floor are really nice. Our room was on the 10th floor. Far corner. View....not so great. The room smaller..but two rooms. Furniture very squished. Two bathrooms were a great plus. Very lacking in pictures and decorations from our previous stays.One lamp that would not turn on. We were getting ready to go back to the park, and the safe is still locked from the previous guests. I called down, they said they would get it.
When we got back from the park, still locked. And, as a conceirge guest you should recieve rice krispy treats on your first night, and a turn down service with chocolate coins. Being that we were not placed on the conceirge floor I think we were forgotten.
I called back down to the front desk toask them to open the safe. I was told we had to be there. I asked about the turn down service and rice krispys. I was told they have not done that for a while. I said we visited it two months and they did. He said we dont anymore. I asked to speak to a manager. She was very nice, she said they still do rise krispy treats, and someone would be up for the safe. There were, coins delievered and 2 rice krispy treats and cookies with ice cold milk were delivered. Nice touch. She called a hour later to make sure everything was alright.
For our entire 4 day stay the glass elevator did not work. And, now I see why everyone always complains about the elevators.The three regular elevators were always full.
Conceirge did not seem worth it this time. Parks closed at 8pm..so did conceirge. So, unless you came back after 5-7pm to eat you missed out on food. Desserts are served 7-8pm On Friday and sat park opened at 7am with early entry, Conceirge didnt open until 630am..and with the elevator problem.. we had time to run in grab a muffin, and hit the stairs to go down.
Also, I noticed if I was present in the conceirge they were very friendly. But, If my 16year old,13 year old came in without me I was told she had a bit of a attitude.Yes,they are boys, Yes they eat a lot. But..3 nights.. $1300. Thats why we would get conceirge so they could eat while in the hotel which, while on this trip was not often.
The positive of this trip was when management seemed to take care of problems well. The negative, I was expecting our stays to be like our prior stays. Chances are we will no be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

In August I booked four rooms for our family Christmas reunion at Disneyland Paradise Pier Hotel. One room for us was specified as a handicap/ADA room with other rooms near by. I reconfirmed twice before the trip, once when I made (by phone) the deposit for four rooms. Upon arrive, one son with family arrived first and was given an available room on 13th floor. They immediately headed out to the park to begin using their 3-day Park Hopper. When we arrived later in the morning with our daughter and were registering, she confirmed that one room was ADA, and it appeared they did not have that in their computer, although it was clearly stated on our confirmation. It was a rather lengthy process to put us, our daughter and other son on the 9th floor near our ADA room. Consequently, all our rooms were not together, only two were adjoining, and one son and family were still on 13th floor. It was disappointing that we did not have easy access for impromptu socializing, especially since the grandson on the 13th floor was on his first trip to DL. I had planned on discussing this issue with customer service when we checked out, but check-out was automatic and the lengthy good-byes left us no time to talk to the front desk. I agree with BellinghamBabe regarding elevators. As far as I know, there was only one set of elevators and they were always busy.

Room Tip: Our ADA room was smaller than other rooms, lacking a sofa and closet. Understand that the bathroom...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bellingham, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Last time we went to Disneyland 18 months ago, we splurged and stayed at the Grand Californian. This time, we decided to try Paradise Pier, where we haven't stayed since our honeymoon 13 years ago. This hotel has some pros, such as the location. It is right across the street from the Grand Californian, so it is only a slightly longer walk to get into the parks. The rooms are very nicely appointed, providing a safe, and a couch which folds out into a bed, thereby sleeping 5 people, or a nice place for putting wiggly children :) We chose to upgrade, and we were placed on the 11th floor overlooking DCA, and we were able to watch World of Color right from our room which was great! We had to switch rooms the first night though - we were placed in room 1102 which is right near the elevator which is very mechanically noisy. We moved to 1118 and were much happier.

Which leads me to the elevator situation. I don't know how many rooms the hotel has - but there are at least 20 on each floor - and there are 3 elevators for the whole hotel (not counting the glass one in the lobby - but that one only goes up - you can't call the elevator to go down). Being a Disney Resort guest, you get into the parks one hour early, depending on which park has the early entry. Imagine hundreds of guests trying to leave the hotel at the same time every morning - some with luggage if they happen to be leaving later in the day - and imagine how easy it is to get down to the early park opening. On our last day when we had luggage for 4 people to stow downstairs it took us about 15 minutes to get an elevator, and we pretty much missed the early opening. I can't imagine what the architect was thinking when they designed this building. We were joking that we wished there was a fast pass for the elevator, as every morning, there ended up being a line just to get in the elevator!

The other thing is amenities - this building has one restaurant and a small coffee bar and that's it. The restaurant is a character breakfast only in the morning - and it would cost about $100 for our family of 4 to eat there. Later in the day the restaurant serves dinner. The coffee bar has quick food you can grab for a walk into the parks. Again, the Grand Californian has about 5 restaurants and numerous snack bars and coffee shops. I believe the Disneyland Hotel is the same way. We did room service one night and it was pretty good. I recommend grabbing something at the Grand Californian or walking out to Downtown Disney and grabbing something there.

Although the rooms were nice, and the staff was friendly and responsive, I think I will save up for the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian next time. We still had a fantastic trip though!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Arrived at the hotel the 25th of Nov. with my wife, kids and grandkids (one of them an infant) at t 3:00pm since they list 3:00pm as the check in time. Had two connecting rooms, rooms were not ready. Had to seat at the coffee shop/bar to wait for the rooms to be ready, they text me 3:20pm and said that one of the rooms was ready, took the elevator to it and when we arrived the maid was still working on it had not even made the beds yet (not her fault). Went back downstairs and complained all they could say at the front desk is "we are so sorry". We finally got our rooms at 4:20pm. I feel that for the money they charge management should be more on the ball.
This is the the second time we stayed here and we have stayed at Disneyworld hotels and never had a complain before. They did not charge us for parking when we left.

Room Tip: we were on 1335 and 1337 this floor was very quiet but you could not see the fireworks from them. Ro...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
QUEEN CREEK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We enjoyed our concierge room on the top (15th) floor overlooking California Adventure - enjoyed watching World of Color and the fireworks from our window -- not a complete view but an interesting perspective. The perk of comp food all day for concierge level guests was great. Our only complaint was no elevator in the parking garage. A wonderful experience that we look forward to enjoying again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

There are a lot of hotels within walking distance of Disneyland that are a lot cheaper than any of the official Disneyland hotels and I’m sure some of them are probably better, but there is something nice about staying on Disney property when you visit a Disney park.

I took a calculated gamble and waited to make my booking until there was a sale and made quite a significant saving as a result so our room was a bit overpriced, but not outrageously expensive.

Paradise Pier is the cheapest of the Disneyland hotels so the facilities are reasonably basic, but it is extremely clean and comfortable. Everything works well and the surroundings are pleasant.

We were upgraded on arrival to a room with a view of the California Adventure park, which was nice. On the downside, we thought we had booked a king bed room, but were given a double double and told they had very few king beds and they were all taken.

It was nice to be able to walk to the parks quite quickly and without dealing with any main roads etc. We accessed the main Disneyland park via Downtown Disney and the California Adventure park through the Grand California Hotel.

Overall, we were satisfied with our stay, but not blown away by it. You pay through the nose to stay in an official Disney hotel, but it could add something to your experience so you may find it a worthwhile expense.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel? Share your experiences!