“A good "check-off" on our list of travel sites...don't need to return” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Disney California Adventure Park

Disney California Adventure Park
1313 Disneyland Dr, Anaheim, CA 92803-3232 (Disneyland)
(714) 781-4565
Website
Improve this listing
Visit Disney California Adventure Park like an insider
Top Rated
$150*
and up
Disneyland or Disney's California Adventure with...
Ranked #1 of 45 things to do in Anaheim
Activities: Dining, Nightlife, Shopping, Antiquing
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the thrill of the an old wooden rollercoaster, but with modern twists, turns and technology, at "California Screamin." Or enjoy a live performance by your favorite characters at Disney's newest theme park, featuring a slew of exciting rides and family entertainment.
Salt Lake City, Utah
“A good "check-off" on our list of travel sites...don't need to return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

January was a good time to go. Some of the lines were very short and the "speed pass" process helped make others manageable. Some of the signs indicating "waiting time" were accurate. Some were not. With some rides having a posted wait time of 15 minutes, we got right on. The Cars ride had a posted time of 15 minutes, so we got in line and followed the serpentine line for close to an hour. Can't imagine what this ride is like during the busy season. We went back during our "speed pass" time and it only took 10 minutes or so. So, "Beware!" Tips to offer: Go during one of the "off-season" times. Take care of all anticipated restroom needs before getting into any line. You just never know...Prepare to be patient in the lines...and hope for good surprised.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Orange County, CA
5 attraction reviews
“Cars Land...just like the movie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

What a great addition to CA Adventure!! They did a great job turning the movie into something real. The rides were great. The Radiator Springs Racers was great. The Floating Tires ride was a little hard to control, but still a blast. It was great seeing the kids having so much fun.

Cairo, Egypt
26 attraction reviews
“WOW!”

I've got 3 words for you:
WORLD
OF
COLOR!!!
You have to check this out! I mean this is worth the trip to LA by itself!

Naperville, Illinois
27 attraction reviews
“Disney's World of Color and Carland Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am a Disney fan. I have visited a number of Disney parks both in and out of the U.S. Disney's California Adventure is a great time and is located near many other wonderful LA area attractions. This park is much more accessible than DisneyWorld and is perfect for a quick get-away. The food is not quite up to par for California, generally, but trips here are food for the imagination. We did combine a dinner with prime watching area (sold as a package) for the nightime spectacular - Disney's World of Color.

This incredible show is multimedia -water, music and video choreographed for one spectacular show. Video is set to music and is projected on a "screen" created by jets of water. What looks like hundreds of jets are floating in the large man-made lake in California Adventure. The jets shoot sprays of water high into the night sky in a bouquet of colors when not being used as a "screen" for videos. For a comparison this show is similar to the water show at the Bellagio in Las Vegas but with an incredible video component.

We chose dinner at the Winery and it was acceptable; the wine was excellent. This package deal helped us to avoid queuing up for the show hours in advance. With the package you are able to watch the show close to the water for prime viewing. You stand for the show and you get sprayed with an almost fog like amount of water when the wind blows during the show. It is a beautiful production including many of the best Disney animated characters. If you are not interested in paying extra to avoid waiting in line to watch the show, there are still many of great areas to watch the show.

Second in this review, but first on my reasons to visit Disney's California Adventure was the new themed area Carland - based on the Disney animated movie "Cars". Your favorite Car's characters come to life in this new area of the park. The main attraction is a ride built to look like the landscape and town from the movie "Cars". This beautifully executed ride is loads of fun and shows the best of Disney Imagineers' work. The projected/animated characters in the town portion of the ride make you feel like you are in the movie. The race track is fast and fun but family friendly - your car and another will "race" to the finish line. Although you don't control the car the race is a great time. Even waiting in line is a fun experience as you worm your way around the Dry Gulch area.

Many other characters and fun rides are found throughout this land and are fun for all ages. Throughout the day many cars fashioned after the characters in the movie drive around Carland and are available for photo opportunities.

Finally, I am a real fan of "Toy Story Mania" which can have long wait times. Carland's attractions draw the crowds so if "Toy Story Mania" is one of your favorites, go their first right after the park opens and you may well be able to enjoy this attraction repeatedly without any wait time.

Visited September 2012
Shorewood, IL
8 attraction reviews
“Worth the hopper to stop in for a bit each day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My family recently took a trip to see Disneyland as we had only ever been to the Orlando resorts before. After reading some guidebooks, I decided to get Park Hopper tickets so we could go to California Adventure too. As I mentioned in my Disneyland review, I now believe this is a MUST. There are some cool things to see and do at DCA, but I can't imagine spending a full day there. I am going to list some highs and lows of this park, coming from the perspective of someone who was first experiencing these parks after being used to Orlando.

-Visit during the weekdays if at all possible. This is the biggest difference from Orlando: park traffic and wait times were nearly non existent on the Monday and Wednesday of our trip, and even Friday was crowded but tolerable. If you want to see Cars Land and World of Color without fighting a stampede, this is essential.

-See World of Color. I personally thought it was the best show I have ever seen at a Disney Park. I actually preferred getting Fast Passes and then going to the very back of the Blue Section (in the center but far away from the splash zones.) I could see everything fine and didn't have to get to my spot until a few minutes before show time.

-Tower of Terror is a fun ride but isn't as good as at Orlando. (It doesn't have the randomized drop sequence.) Even so, I rode it each day we were at DCA and enjoyed it, just realize that it's not quite the same as at DHS.

- California Screamin' was a bit of a disappointment for me. I had read how smooth the ride was, but I found it to be a tad on the rough side. This is definitely the only true Mega Coaster at these parks though, so if you want to ride on a true roller coaster at Disney, this is it. I want to point out that it's not a bad coaster, I guess it just didn't live up to the hype for me. (I can think of 2 coasters at Six Flags in Gurnee that I feel are much better.)

- I am a huge fan of The Little Mermaid and was determined to go on the new ride (which I have never been on because WDW's wasn't open last time I was there) despite reading everywhere how lame the ride is. I thought it was done very well, it just seems like there's a whole section of the story missing. Could have been better, but not awful, and there was never any wait while we were there.

- The animation classes are better in Anaheim because they post a schedule of which character they're going to draw at each session for the day. (Unlike at DHS where it is always put up to a vote, and I always end up with a large group that wants to draw Stitch every time.) You also don't have to sit through the cheesy video here that precedes the class in Orlando, meaning you can do the drawing portion in under 10 minutes. (Seriously. Door opened at 12:30, and I was walking out with my sketch of Winnie the Pooh at 12:38.)

-We didn't go to the Mad T Party area while it was operating, but found that it was a great place to relax and chill (which was handy during my 2 year old's nap time.) There's not really anything going on there during the day, and there are plenty of big chairs available.

-If you have one of the Chase Disney Visa cards that give you access to a character photo, that is in this park (in the Mad T Party area) and only for 1.5 hours each day. (Starting half hour after park opening.) It seems like one character takes a half hour shift, then there's a second character, and then the original one comes back for the last half hour. It doesn't seem to change during the week. Our visit, it was Stitch, Minnie, and then Stitch again. Since we wanted to do this, we ended up going to California Adventure first, getting fast passes to World of Color, and then ride a few rides until it was late in Stitch's first shift, then we could just wait a few minutes for Minnie to come out. Again, this part will only help you if you have a Disney Visa.

-Overall, DCA is a nice little park now that Cars Land has been added, but I personally only see it as a couple of hours visit per day. It's not as much fun to me as Disneyland, but is definitely well worth the upgrade in getting Hopper tickets.