“New owners = bad mojo” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #92 of 112 Hotels in Anaheim
Santa Cruz, California
“New owners = bad mojo”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had been staying at the Riviera for years. The owner, Jack, and his wife were lovely people and were always hospitable and kept a great place to stay while visiting Disneyland. Well, Jack is gone now, and I couldn't even check in this year for my 5-night reservation. Their machine would not take my credit card. I called my credit card company on the spot and they said that it wasn't my card, but the motel's transaction machine was not recording and sending the card swipe. The person at the counter wasn't much help. I'm sure we had a language barrier to begin with, but she kept insisting on "cash for the first night" until her husband returned later to try and fix things. I offered my debit card for the first night and she wouldn't even swipe it. At this point, my hunch was that someone wasn't paying a connection fee for the credit card machine. I was tired. I wanted to check in. After several attempts, I just grabbed my stuff and went to another hotel for my trip. I will never return.

Room Tip: Go next door to the Little Boy Blue. Great value, great staff, no hassle.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I seriously do not understand the great reviews of this place. Even without the bedbugs, it is still kind of a dump. I go down to Disneyland 4 or 5 times a year and always stay at cheap motels, and have never had so many problems as this.

Basically I woke up COVERED in bites. I was headed to a wedding and had to rush out for antihistamine, cordaid, and a floor length dress and sweater to wear to wear in 95 degree heat. The hotel won't refund my money - they said that since we didn't report the bites while we were there, they can't do a refund. I had never had bedbugs before, and had no idea that's what they were until I returned home and had a nurse look at them. My friend brought them back to his house and now will have to pay hundreds to exterminate.

We also ended up with an extra person and the manager asked me for $20 extra for her to park and stay, and that didn't include a cot. He only took cash and wouldn't give me a receipt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Gillette, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The room was minimal but when you're so busy site seeing and not spending time in there, it doesn't really matter.
The location was fantastic; located close to food, stores, and the park.
I traveled 6 months pregnant and had no issues with the distances walking from the hotel. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My trip involved coming to Disneyland with a handful of friends from all over the US. The Riviera motel was not only ideally placed for Disneyland goers (not too close to the park to disturb your sleep but within 5 minutes walking to the main gate, near the Gardenwalk restaurants and car rentals), the owners were incredibly helpful and accommodating to our varying check in/check out times, luggage holding and everything else we asked of them. The rooms come at a GREAT value, they are clean and well taken care of with all the amenities including fridge and WiFi. The only complaint to be had was that there was construction occurring next door on the last 2 days of our trip, and there was occasional noise as a result. I would stay here again for this type of trip easily.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was looking for a cheap place to stay near Disneyland on very short notice and found the Riviera Motel. The motel is about 2 blocks away from Disneyland which makes it really convenient. Didn't pay very much. The room was clean and looked like it had been recently updated. The bathroon was very large and the room had a new flat screen tv. The beds were not new, but they were comfortable for us.

Overall it was good stay for the price we paid... I would stay there again. Usually thats how I determine how good a place is - I ask myself if I would stay there again. This is not a fancy place like the branded hotels that most people stay at - this is a mom and pop place and they have done a good job of making it clean, comfortable and affordable. Please keep in mind when we go to Disneyland we are at the park from morning, noon and night and we don't really care if our hotel/motel has a nice pool or restaurant. We are there just to go to the park. If you want something with a fancy pool and nice restaurant or bar - you need to pay a lot more and stay somewhere else. But if you are looking for a comfortable place to stay, cheap and close to the park - this is a good choice. Why pay so much more to stay at a big chain, to us it is just a waste of money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nancy, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

The motel is essential. Clean and not so noisy. The breakfast is ridiculously poor but for 35$ per day is good to have a place near Walt Disney parks.

• Stayed July 2012
Dulzura, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

This room was the worst 1 star experience that we have had in our 2 yrs of being annual Disneyland passport holders. The room was dirty and there was black synthetic "weave" type hair in the bed. The room smelled like marijuana and ciggarettes, with a cheap spray to cover it up. There was fighting and yelling for 2 out of our 3 night stay. I would not recommed this hotel for a family. No matter how cheap it is. Safety and security is key.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Riviera Motel? Share your experiences!