“Please Check The Details” 2 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #20 of 115 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Please Check The Details”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

First, I would like to mention that when booking, you may find it more economical to call in your reservation, the website and other online sites where slightly higher this time.

I was staying at this hotel for a convention for 2 nights, I just check out this morning; therefore, I thought that I should write this review while it is fresh on my mind.

Be sure that you know about Valet Parking charges; I overlooked this when looking at their Home Page. The rates do not show up anywhere else, not even when you check in. You will be very surprised when you receive your check out bill and there are whopping charges for valet parking; all this after you have tipped immensley.

Upon check in, after 4:00 pm, I was told that the room was not ready; however, they found a ready room in the Oasis Tower. Please ask for the main tower; the Oasis will give you no views. The Bellperson was quite informative; he worked hard for his tip.
There was a small issue when I checked in, because I had a package to be mail, and it was already postage paid; the bellman told me to take it to the concierge, and she told me that it would be no problem for the mailman to pick up, but take it to the bell desk. I told her that they just told me to bring it back to the concierge. So, she took it to the bell desk, and came back with the package, because apparently it was her job to see that the package was picked up. Prior to arrival, I called about renting a scooter for my disabled mother, and I was told that it would be $30.00 to $50.00 for 3 days. Well, as it turned out, it was $105.00 for 3 days, but we were only charged $75.00, because we were checking out on the 3rd day.

Off to the room! With my mom on a walker, we were sent to the Oasis Tower-another building, and when we arrived on our floor-5th floor, there was a food tray in the hall that was 1 door away from my room. I noticed this, because my mom was talking about ordering room service. Also, I passed this tray when I went to the ice machine down the hall and around the corner. Later that night, I went back to the ice machine, and there was a smaller tray that was placed outside of a room door, on the floor. These trays were there on Wednesday, and on Friday they were still there; I have pictures from Wed. to Fri. At check out, I told the manager. Also, I informed him that I would write this review, and he was only interested in asking about my satisfactory points. I told him that the staff was quick to respond to any needs of mine and about 100 others in my convention party.

Although I did not see signs of vermin or pest, outside of mesquitos, I am sure that this lack of cleanliness would breed unwanted pest.

I requested a handicap accessible room, and it was very large in comparison to some of the other rooms of relatives and friends. I had 2 double beds, an entertainment center with a mini, hard to cool, fridge, a large bathroom, and a sitting balcony with a view of the next tower over.

Please do not be fooled by the pictures of the bed on their home page; the bed was acceptable, but the lined was not. The site boast of a down comforter, but it is more like an uncovered down ran through there comforter. I have had down comforters in my life, but this was the thinnest that I have ever encountered, and it did not have a cover; thank goodness for the real comforter. Oh my goodness the bed skirts looked like something had spilled on them and they were badly faded. The decorum is less than desirable; the sheer panels were so dark and dirty, one did not need to close the curtain for privacy.

The next morning, housekeeping came and they did change the linen, and on the top pillow, they left a badly stained pillow case that appeared to be dried blood. I called to request and change and for more pillows. Immediately a staff person showed up and brought new pillows, but they did not change the pillow case. I told the guy that I needed this pillow case changed, and he told me to give him 1 minute. He returned with 2 clean pillow cases and handed them to me at the door. This was better than nothing.

It has been 2 days, and my beverages were finally cool enough to drink. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE bring your own beverages. The soft drinks at Starbucks are $3.00 a bottle. And, they do close rather early. We had miniature pizzas from Pizza Hut, and we bought a pint of Hagan Daaz Ice Cream. The Ice Cream had these ice flecks, and it was not creamy nor fresh, but I was too tired to go down and return it.

I stayed in room 5058 and it was large with no views. Another delage stayed in room 5046, and it was very small. If you have clostrophobia, stay away from this room. They ordered a refridgerator, and it was placed on top of the desk. This room was too small for 2 double beds, and the bathroom was too small.

My mother ate at Cafe del Sol, and she said that the food was good.

We were at this hotel for a convention at the Convention Center and the Hilton Hotel. I think that this hotel was okay, but I don't think that I would stay here for any other reason but to attend a convention.

• Liked — The size of the room given for people with disabilities
  • Disliked — Not clean; very expensive valet parking that is not advertised upon arrival; housekeeping thumbs down! At your service very attentive
  • Tips/Secrets — Try another hotel in the area, there are plenty, but do read reviews and ask detailed questions prior to check-in
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Korean first
Columbus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

I would not recommend the Anaheim Marriott to anyone concerned about security of personal items while out of the room. I had two shirts purchased as gifts taken from the room. Hotel management was completely unresponsive and unhelpful when the incident was reported. Make sure nothing of value is in the room when you go out. It is certain the hotel will do nothing to assist you in its return.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — See review
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay there
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I stayed at the Marriott for a convention in June for five days. I was given a room in the "Oasis" tower, which, despite its name, is modern and cold. My room overlooked a construction site (the hotel is expanding its ballroom/meeting facilities); thankfully it was seven floors up and not too noisy. Had I known better, I would have asked for the main tower, where the rooms have balconies, or for a room by the pool in the hotel's low-rise section. My room, while not huge, was comfortable, clean, well-furnished and well-stocked, and was always cleaned early in the day. The food in the main restaurant, Cafe del Sol, is quite good. The full breakfast buffet has a lot of creative dishes you don't normally see at a breakfast buffet. The food at JW Marriott's, a steak house, is very, very overpriced and unremarkable. There is a self-service Pizza Hut franchise on the premises, a deli and a Starbucks as well.

The Disney parks are about a 15 to 20-minute walk along some of the most pristine, lushly landscaped, and unused sidewalks I've ever seen (there's also a fake tourist trolley that stops by the hotel). Although I saw some families and there is a nice (if shallow) pool, this seems to be mainly a convention hotel and there is not much in the immediate area except for the directly-adjacent Anaheim Convention Center and other hotels. The Marriott is definitely more inviting than the Hilton across the street, though, which is a big black box over a parking garage.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

We are a family of 5 from South Australia. We have been to Disneyland 3 times before but this was the nicest place we have stayed at. We had 2 adjoining rooms for 5 nights in early May 2006. The price was very reasonable. The main thing we wanted in a hotel was a refrigerator in each room and a laundry at the hotel. This hotel had both and I even met a guy from across the road at the Hilton who came to use the laundry because they didn't have one. The rooms were extremely comfortable and the beds were great. The bathrooms were top class and the toiletries fantastic. There was pizza available downstairs as well as the hotel restaurants and another food outlet with snacks etc. The shuttle to Disneyland is quite outside the door. The only thing I didn't take into account was the number of people there mingling in the lobby because of conventions next door. The staff were very helpful and I would definitely stay here again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

Wow - what treatment! After a horrible experience at the Anabella, we immediately went to Marriott. Thank you for such wonderful treatment. We were greeted at the door. The bellhop immediately helped my husband while other staff helped me with my daughter. The front staff heard our tale of woe. They couldn't have been nicer. The manager matched the rate of the previous hotel. He upgraded us to the club level. They arranged for my sister's stay as well. It is all about customer service and this marriott got it right! They even gave my daughter a glass of milk to help her sleep. They understood the late hour and the need to get my daughter to bed. The staff had our bags and roll away in the room within 15 minutes. This level of serviced continued for our entire stay. I would stay again and recommend this hotel.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

Our terrible rating is based solely on service. This may have changed since our stay but we had a nightmare of a time with the staff at this hotel. We moved here from the Marriott Residence Inn (also a bad experience), and will never patronize a Marriott property in the future.

The hotel looks nice, it's modern enough, the rooms are decent size and clean enough.

The parking is confusing, the hallways are noisy, and the desk staff and concierge were snooty and patronizing at best.

We moved rooms twice (first one was directly over the main entrance and the shuttle stop--with the shuttle bus motor running full bore at all hours and between runs). The second room we requested a QUIET area after the first unit. We were placed in a unit on another floor sandwiched between a block of 6 rooms that were rented by a very large family on vacation with lots of young children (age 2-13). These folks let their kids pound on the walls, left them in the rooms without supervision so they jumped on the beds and had the TV's so loud it was obscene, they were running through the halls like wild animals--yelling, screaming and slamming doors repeatedly!! We called the front desk a number of times and eventually we called the security department. When any staff were present the kids would retreat inside the rooms and it was nice and quiet, of course! The security personnel knocked on ONE door and tried to speak with a girl about the age of 14 who barely understood English (this family were Asian tourists), and she indicated that the adults had left her "in charge" of the pack of children (at least 10 kids in the 6 rooms) for the rest of the evening. After that encounter the staff refused to do anything further and they never contacted the parents of the group the next day to our knowledge. They also refused to move us to another floor to escape the noise and get some sleep ON OUR VACATION as GUESTS in their hotel.

Upon returning home we called and wrote letters to the manager of this property, and others up the chain of command for Marriott to no avail for almost six months. The best we were offered when we finally reached a "PR consultant" for Marriott was an offer for a coupon for half off on our next visit to Anaheim staying at this hotel. We told her we would never stay here again and after 6 more phone calls back and forth (on our dime) she finally agreed to mail us a check for 50% off the first night of our stay.

TERRIBLE service, bad attitude, and we won't return to ANY Marriott ever again. For a much better experience we would reccommend the Hilton Hotel right across the street--nicer staff, nicer rooms, underground secure parking (for lower cost), and much, much better amenitites, shuttle service and restaurants as well.

• Stayed December 2002
Philly area, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

I stayed here for 6 nights in April while attending a convention. I had no problems but one person in our party had his reservation lost - The staff apologized and gave him a suite!!
Overall, no major issues - If you park in the garage it's a long walk to the front desk - Bar is overpriced but what hotel bar isn't? Pool is nice, elevators were ok, decor is getting dated but hardly a reason not to stay here. Hotel had option of $9.95/day unlimited local/long distance calling in US. Be ready to walk to get to restaurants. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anaheim
Hilton Anaheim
#2 of 115 in Anaheim
4.5 of 5 stars 590 reviews
Courtyard Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort

Been to Marriott Anaheim? Share your experiences!