“Great food but lacking that little bit extra...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ruth's Chris Steak House

Ruth's Chris Steak House
2041 South Harbor Blvd., Anaheim, CA 92802 (Anaheim Resort)
714-750-5466
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 694 Restaurants in Anaheim
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Anaheim Resort
Cross street: Between Katella & Orangewood
Orange, California
“Great food but lacking that little bit extra...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

Having eaten at two different Ruth’s Chris locations in the Palm Springs area I had high expectations of both the food and service at their new Anaheim location. While our visit was pleasant overall, the Anaheim location did not fully meet my expectations.

Drinks: Have you ever tasted flat Coca-Cola with too little syrup? This location’s soda fountain just couldn’t serve up a good Coke. Other soft drinks, however, were unaffected.

Their wine list reported five or six vintages of sparkling wine available by the glass. Yet, when my wife ordered one of the brands listed we were told that they no longer offered that brand. Instead, I was shown the menu which listed fewer vintages. They could have avoided this set back by managing my expectations. That is, they could have simply updated their wine list and we wouldn’t have been disappointed.

Sadly, our drink experiences set the tone for the rest of the meal.

Food: Our steaks were presented in Ruth’s Chris’ traditional fashion: sizzling hot. My wife’s filet, however, was not cooked to the temperature she ordered. Despite being “butterflied,” her “well-done” filet arrived with significant amounts of pink. I’m surprised she didn’t send it back for some additional time on the grill. Conversely, my steak was perfectly prepared. Once we began to eat, bite after bite we were reminded of how a great steak should taste. (“Yum!”)

If you’ve eaten at Ruth’ Chris you know that their side dishes are prepared with the same artistry as their steaks. Our broccoli au gratin and lyonnaise potatoes were simply amazing. It appeared that the lyonnaise potatoes were deep fried before being sautéed.

Service: Kathy, our main server, was pleasant and efficient. She--and the interest of her manager--are the only reasons we left with happy hearts. Their support staff, however, was uninspiring. The runner attempted to serve the incorrect entrees and neglected to deliver my wife’s béarnaise sauce. Luckily, Kathy corrected both problems.

In toto, the meal was delicious and the service acceptable. When we go out for fine dining, however, we expect a bit more than we would from a quick-service establishment. It was that little bit extra that we found lacking.

Usk, United Kingdom
“Some of the best steaks ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

We flew into LA from Las Vegas on memorial Sunday. We had pre-booked Ruth's Chris Steakhouse since it was a mere 5 minutes walk from the hotel we were staying at (Doubletree) and we didn't want to go looking for somewhere to eat our first night in a new location

We received a very friendly welcome and were shown to our booth and introduced to our server. I had rib-eye steak off the bone with pepper sauce, while my brother had the lamb chops with sweet peppers.

My steak was superb, cooked just how I asked. My only slight reservation was that while the pepper sauce was good, it masked the flavour of the steak rather than enhanced it. It was still one of the best rib-eye steaks I've had. My brothers lamb was meaty, plentiful and delicous. It seemed very popular in the restaurant to. While we ate we made a mental note of the other meals going by in case we returned. We re-booked for our last night on the Saturday. I had the fillet mignon, my brother the rib eye steak on the bone. We both left off the sauces and my fillet mignon must rank in the top three of my best steaks ever (and we'd eaten at Craftsteak in Las Vegas the week before!)

Service was prompt, friendly and unhurried. Cocktails and drinks were beautifully prepared. Not a cheap night out, but you certainly got excellent quality for your money