“Great spot - even with a baby” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Imperial Hotel

Save Saved
You added Imperial Hotel to your Saves list
Imperial Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Hwy. 49, Post Office Box 195, Amador City, CA 95601   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Amador City B&B and Inns
Columbus, Ohio
“Great spot - even with a baby”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Imperial Hotel with our 18-month-old son while visiting family in the area. It wasn't a place I would have ever sought out on my own, coming from Ohio, but I'm glad we stumbled across it. The property -- and town, really -- was absolutely beautiful. I loved the super tall ceilings and big/bright windows, and the bed was really comfortable. The convenient and free parking lot was an added bonus.

We were a little unsure about bringing a little one to a B&B in an area known for its wine tastings, but we never felt out of place. Surprisingly, there was little noise from the bar below at night, which is a good thing with a sleeping baby. The general manager was incredibly friendly and helpful, doing everything possible to make us feel at home. Breakfast was good but the portions weren't huge, so we walked up to Andrae's Bakery afterward and tried the smoked salmon sliders and some other pastries (delicious). We did try dinner at the hotel one night, too, and it was excellent and reasonably priced. All in all an excellent trip.

If you go, definitely explore the little town - it's just one main street. I mentioned the bakery, but the ice cream shop is also good. You'll encounter the very friendly locals -- watch for one of the shop owners, Dale, who is a character.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 5 on the back side of the hotel, facing the parking lot. We chose it because it wa...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Spent four days in April at the Imperial. Had an excellant time. The hotel has the feeling of a small English hotel with excellent food, evening entertainment and an intimate bar area where the hotel residents and the locals mingle. Great wine country plus gold country history. A great get away and looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Vacaville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We recently visited Amador City, and had dinner at the Imperial Hotel. The dining area itself is quite nice, but the food was just so-so. I have a new york steak which was actually quite good .. however, my wife had the shrimp which was quite tasteless other than the chili pepper used to attempt to spice it up.

I would recommend this restaurant, however, it is not much over an okay meal.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SuttersEnd, Owner at Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
We always appreciate feedback from our customers, so I want to thank this reviewer for his comments. Though I am glad that the New York steak was enjoyable, I do regret that the shrimp was not. I have passed these comments on to the chef for his consideration.

We do instruct our serving staff to offer a substitute menu item if a guest is not pleased with their choice.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

As my husband just said, 'I couldn't have wanted anything more from a hotel'! This might seem odd for a hotel which isn't all 'mod cons', but we absolutely loved it here and can't wait to return. We were welcomed by Pete, who was absolutely lovely and efficient (winning combination!). I was longing for a cup of tea on arrival, and he had it brought swiftly up to the room. The room itself was lovely, with a balcony looking on to the main street. It had a chaise longue as well as other nice furniture, and the bathroom was spacious and spotlessly clean. We ate supper in the restaurant, where the food was excellent, the service friendly (thank you Chelsey!) and Pete's hospitality triumphed again when he helped us with wine choices, giving us free tastings of a few to help us make up our mind. In the morning, we really appreciated being able to help ourselves to coffee on the landing and relax in our room before breakfast. The Imperial is a beautiful, characterful and history filled hotel with excellent service - we couldn't recommend it more!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Rocklin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our first stay in Amador City was at the Imperial Hotel. Historic charm is everywhere and accentuated with appropriate modern conveniences. Our upstairs guest room bed was very comfortable and the pillows were too. I like a medium to full feather pillow at home and judge a hotel by how good the bed and pillows are. The linens are higher quality and the over head fan was perfect. The furniture in the room was eclectic and a bit funky, but fun. The updated bath complete with a towel warmer was a nice touch. Free wifi is available. In the morning good fresh coffee, cream and sugars are placed on a sideboard in the hall upstairs which was really appreciated. Our dinner of starters and desserts was lovely, beautifully presented and the double chocolate cake and homemade vanilla ice cream was Amazing! Breakfast was equally delicious and we enjoyed the view of the patio. The staff all seemed ready to assist in any way that they could. What made the Imperial an easy choice for us was the ability to stay just one night as opposed to two required at other BB type locations. The window blinds need dusting in the room.

Room Tip: We were in room 5, next time I'd ask for room 6 for a little more room and on the other side of...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I had not been to Amador City for over 25 years, so I was quite surprised when we rolled into town. I do not remember much of anything being open then, but now it was a little village all shined up for the weekend guests. We had booked a room in advance at the Imperial Hotel, a substantial brick building on the road into town. We requested a room with a balcony. So here I sit, on our balcony, in the quiet of the afternoon and the shadows of sunset coming on. There are only two rooms with a balcony [room 1 and 2], but well worth the few extra dollars.
We arrived around noon, before check in but we were given our room immediately. Very clean and pleasant room and since all the room doors were open on the second floor I took the liberty of checking them out. I also took photos. Each room is distinct and appeared quite comfortable. We inquired at the front desk about lunch places and we received a lot of information about local attractions. We made reservations for dinner in the hotel restaurant. The room price included full breakfast. We were asked to place our order the night before. Our breakfast included pancakes, sausage, juice and fresh fruit. In the morning before went went down to the dining room for breakfast, fresh brewed coffee was placed outside our door.
Our room had a queen bed and a small chaise. The mattress was a little too soft but that is a personal choice. No TV, but they do have Internet. I must say, the accommodations are quite comfortable. I caution visitor that many shops are closed Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. You get a better room rate if you avoid Friday and Saturday night.
All the staff was wonderful. In the evening when we went down to dinner we met Peter, the manager/bartender/waiter/bus boy/anything else you needed done. Everyone was most accommodating.
A note to dog owners, there is one room that allows dogs, [number 9] and the suites annex across the road. This building sits slightly uphill and has a big garden with a lawn area.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 have access to the second floor balcony. Room 9 is dog friendly. The two rooms in th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife and I happended upon the Imperial Hotel. A phone call to check availability was handled by Peter who was very polite and accomodating. Our stay was fabulous. We enjoyed a very good a dinner and wine on the balcony ovelooking the town's intersection. What a great time. Enjoyed coffe at the historic bar in the morning before a breakfast that was just okay. The staff was very eager to please and we look forward to staying here again on our visit to Gold Country and the Shenendoah Valley.

Room Tip: We had a room with direct access to the front balcony and enjoyed a quiet evening watching cars go b...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!