“Worth the drive up the hill!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Lakeside, California
“Worth the drive up the hill!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

A short drive up Hwy 8 from San Diego will get you to the Alpine Inn. Once you enter you will feel the cozy atmosphere. A long time standard this restaurant has maintained its reputation for good food and friendly bar folk in a mountain setting. The quality of their food is very high and priced very reasonably. Especially EARLY BIRD. I think you'll be glad you did!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lemon Grove, California
“Great service, so-so food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

The service is outstanding, the food only so-so. My Wife and I celebrated our fortieth wedding anniversary there. The Mushroom-Brie soup was a real winner and I intend to try and find a recipe and duplicate that soup. We had the Prime rib and Australian Lobster combo with a side of Fettuccini Alfredo. The side dish was huge, more of an entree than a side dish, but it was pretty good. My Wife order her beef medium and I ordered mine rare; my wife’s had very little pink and I would have said it was well-done. Mine was more like how my Wife likes hers, medium, and it was well past rare. Neither of us thought the meat was very flavorful despite the fact that the Inn says their Prime Rib is coated in herbs and slow cooked all day. The lobster was a good size, but it too lacked flavor and mine was tough, a sign that it had been overcooked. On the day we were there, mid April, the combo cost $50 and considering the quality I would have to say the dish was crossly over priced; the same dish at Stuart Anderson’s is $35 and while the portions may be a bit smaller the quality is better and tastier.

While we both would like to have more of the soup, we won’t be going back.

• Visited April 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Pretty good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I tend to eat here after a day of hiking. The service is always very friendly and the food is very good. They have a good variety of beers on tap and usually have the games on the TVs in the bar.

A nice, cozy lair of a restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Kenai
“So-So Food and Poor Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

We visited the Alpine Inn for lunch on a Sunday to find out that they only served "brunch" or at least the Alpine Inn's version of it. The menu consisted of a large variety of breakfast items and a few lunch items. My wife ordered a breakfast meal and I ordered a chicken sandwich with fries. The food was decent -- it wasn't anything to write home about but certainly was sufficient for a meal. The problem with the Alpine Inn was service.

After we were seated it took about 15 minutes for our order to be taken. Once we ordered it was over a half hour for our meals to come out. My wife's order was not correct. The waitress said that she has mis heard her, which was possible. We kept it as it was already made, however it still was missing her side of toast, which never came. I received my sandwich but didn't receive the fries that came with it until about 10 minutes later. When they did come they were so hot I had to wait another five minutes for them to somewhat cool.

Our waitress was constantly chatting and making small talk with the tables around us. When she handed us our bill (that we had to ask for) she was speaking with the table next to us and didn't even look our way.

Extremely poor service. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Clarksville, TN
“Worth the drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Ok, so I wasn't that excited to drive all the way to Alpine, but honestly this little place suprised me. We went for a Beer pairing dinner (5 course meal with each course paired with beer) in June. I guess they do wine or beer nights like this every 6 weeks or so. While it's a little dark and dated, the staff was nice and the menu was AMAZING! The Chef's all came out to explain the dishes and Karl Strauss rep's were on hand to explian the beer.

I think I had the best dessert of my life.... A Hawaiian Smore... The head Chef Keoni did it in a Martini Glass -- crushed macadami nuts on the bottom, a layer of Hawaiian Chocolate, and a melted/toasted marshmellow on top. There was graham cracker cookies on the side and the rim of the glass had pink hawaiian salt. I would have licked the glass!

If you are in the area, or want a good place to take a group and enjoy a good dinner in a intimate atmosphere GO HERE! Out of the way but great people and food.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

If you own or manage Alpine Inn, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.