“Hotel and Casino top Notch--buffet--skip it” 4 of 5 stars

Viejas Casino Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   5000 Willows Rd, Alpine, CA 91901   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alpine
Detroit, Michigan
“Hotel and Casino top Notch--buffet--skip it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We stayed at the new hotel and it is gorgeous. The wait to check in was too long as people were standing in line. They really needed more associates at the desk. It took us about 30 minutes to get to the front of the line.

The casino is very nice and has a large non-smoking area which I really liked. The slots were very generous.

The buffet was a disaster. A long line to just pay with not enough cashiers working to speed things up. Another line to be seated and that took more time.. No wait staff to speak of. We asked 3 times for our beverages and no one seemed to know who are wait person was. We finally got drinks at the end of our dinner. The set up in the buffet is all wrong. The salad bar splits the serving and seating area. We were so far from the food, that by the time we sat down, everything was cold. No one came to collect our dirty plates from the table.The food and selection were just mediocre at best. With all of the competition from the other local casinos--Viejas had better step up its game. We would not have eaten in the buffet if it hadn't been comped with our room rental. Would like to give it another chance, but not on my dime.

Room Tip: We had a room on the main floor that looked over the pool although it was gated in and you couldn...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My sister invited me to stay with her at the Viejas and I was astounded at the beautiful room; it looked like no expense was spared in making the room lovely and inviting. The staff was excellent. The shuttle bus driver, the front desk personnel, housekeeping, and the concierge were all cheerful and accommodating. I was pleasantly surprised when I learned that the water, orange juice, and sodas in the room refrigerator were complimentary. It was a thoroughly wonderful stay. I even won money playing the slots!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
indio,california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Since the hotel was so new (opened on March 21st), I assumed there would be so many bugs in the system that I didn't have high or even medium expectations. I just wanted a place to stay near my family (there are six of them with a new baby plus a puppy and two cats!) I didn't want to spend a bundle but I had to move the reservation to the following Wednesday after becoming ill. During that period of time the AAA rate shrunk about twenty dollars and afforded me the luxury of an abundant in-room breakfast for the next morning.

I decided to check in before visiting the kids and found there was free valet parking (tips were appreciated). And an almost endless supply of bottled water. My room key only let me go on the elevator to my floor alone (security!). The room was a surprise. It was in elegant greys and shiny silvers and deep purple (velvet suede sofa and other accents). The carpeting in so many areas was lovely (like at the elevator). I overlooked the pool and some of the complex that includes restaurants and a casino. A short walk up the hill takes you to a really remarkable outlet center with what appears to be a Southwestern theme and a "Teepee" set up (what looks like logs alone) over a public area. I noticed several upscale companies there.

Our family decided they would like to try the buffet. We ended up with enough coupons and such to feed everyone for about 6$ per person! This was not the usual buffet...or the usual abundant buffet. It was spectacular. We must have seen over 50 desserts alone. Prime rib. Great salads. We ended up spending about three hours there enjoying the food and conversation and this was with a 10 year old, 7 year old, 4 year old and even the baby seemed to enjoy himself! I was floored. People were extra helpful, patient with me (70 with senior moments and partially handicapped) and the decor was lovely. The casino was fairly unobtrusive for those of us who do not gamble much. The pool area looked wonderful and has interesting lighting at night. The bed was fine. I was near the elevato and never noticed it. There were a few noisy people in the hall around 11 pm but so what. It stoppeed. Checkout was no problem. All in all a fun experience!

Room Tip: If you decide to have a meal in your room, there is no table. However, they roll one in and leave it...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

What Viejas has always (in my opinion) needed was a hotel. Well, now they "have" one (opened up the end of March). However, don't think you'll find out EVERYTHING on their website. Wish they would hurry up and get the hotel portion of the website up to speed, because--so far--all I've been able to do is view one sample room (that quite frankly looked like any other casino hotel room) and either make/view/cancel a reservation! Would definitely like to see lots more about exactly how the rooms look, what amenities are provided, etc. Will report back when that's possible :)

Room Tip: Wish I could!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Had the opportunity to take a day trip to the Viejas Casino & Outlet mall while visiting San Diego.
The Casino was a full service Casino with all the various gaming tables that you would expect and lots of slot machines to boot.
I myself appreciated the fact that the Casino had a non-smoking section for non-smoking players. Soda and water drinks were served complementary on the gaming floor.(no alcohol CA law!)
We ate at the Casino Buffet and it was very good. We were there on a Friday and enjoyed the variety of fish and seafood choices that were available. The other meat and poultry choices looked excellent as well.
The desert selection was enough to satisfy even the largest sweet tooth!
The nicest thing about this Casino is there is a Outlet Mall directly across the street with Name Brand Store for shoppers. It gives everyone in your party the opportunity to enjoy what the like to do in one location.
The Casino & Outlet Mall is approximately 30 miles from San Deigo. Time well spent!

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Viejas Casino Resort? Share your experiences!