“Best Mexican Ever” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Madrid, Spain
“Best Mexican Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I admit my bias up front, but I just love On the Border. In my opinion, its not just great Mexican food, but it is the best restaurant chain, bar none. Unfortunately, I live in one of the few states that doesn't have one, so when we travel, I look for them and don't miss the opportunity.

We've traveled extensively in Mexico and I understand this is not "authentic" mexican food. Its more Tex-Mex, but whatever it is, I love it.

Cheese Enchiladas, double rice and a stack of soft tortillas with butter. Chips and salsa are also great. Get in line guys, I'm going back!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Orange County, California
“Sub-average Mexican food in Orange County?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The restaurant itself is appealing but I've never been thrilled about the food here and I guess the reason why is that it doesn't taste authentic. With so many good Mexican restaurants to choose from in South Orange County, I'm shocked the chain hasn't done more to make the food taste better.

The drinks are very good but the appetizers and food are not-- the empanadas were just so-so. The ribs were average at best. The chile rellenos tasted like they were defrosted. Maybe that's the problem with this place-- they have too many cuisines from too many different countries on the menu and you never get that feeling of being in a Mexican restaurant. Is this a Spanish, Tex-Mex or rib joint?

It tastes like a chain restaurant trying to do too much but doesn't go above a chain like El Torito...which is also average Mexican food. Orange County residents have a fairly sophisticated palate when it comes to Mexican food because we are blessed so many good options--this restaurant doesn't get a recommendation.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Laguna Hills, California
“Ribs are good but they use to be better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I am not sure what happened at the border restaurant but the ribs use to fall off the bone and now they seem a little more tough. The service is not as good as it use to be. Perhaps new management?

Visited January 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Good Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Vibrant environment....Lots of people around in the bar area and the service was excellent

Visited January 2012
Mission Viejo, California
“Will not be going back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We had not been here for many months, and I do not know why we went back last night. "Fajitas" was a cold grilled chicken breast sliced on top of lukewarm onions and oil-soaked yet crunchy bell peppers. All of that on a serving dish that was supposed to be sizzling hot so that you could squeeze lime on it, but was so cool I could lay my hands on it.
We asked for water twice and was brought one glass (there were two of us).
They were out of the first beer we asked for from their menu.
We will not be going back, this time for sure. Way to pricey for awful food and slow service that doesn't care whether you're there or not.
When did eating out become this instead of something you actually want to spend your hard-earned money and free time on?

• Visited December 2011