“Great Place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aliso Viejo
San Diego, California
“Great Place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed at the Renaissance Club Sport for my boyfriends birthday. We stayed 2 nights, one of the nights as Marriott Reward stay. The staff were polite and helpful, the restaurant was great, they have healthy menu with a variety to choose from. For desert I cinnamon gellato, which was yummy. This hotel is tucked inside of a business park of the 73 toll road. It has a huge fitness center, spa and activities for kids, I saw a few of the Nickelodeon characters on the property while I was there. The rooms are spacious and immaculate, some have only showers ours had a huge tub and a shower. They also have free wi-fi, though it's a bit slow.. who cares it's free. This hotel is about 20 miles south of Disney Land and a few short mile from the beaches, they also have yoga, nutrition classes and all sorts of activities for the guests... We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Coachella, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

The "welcoming" was very nice and the check-in was quick. A couple of issues arose, which the staff handled quickly and professionally. But I have to say that this hotel, for being a Renaissance, didn't have that glitzy, at-your-service feel. Maybe my expectations were set higher. The hotel grounds are kept clean, but are not stunning as other Marriott’s I’ve visited. The housekeeping staff did not restock the soaps and lotions.

The location is great, it is less than a mile to Edwards movie theaters, several nice restaurants (Chilis, Macaroni Grill) pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens) grocery stores (Ralphs) and several other stores (Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble). The gym is huge and state of the art. I love to work out and this gym had equipment I'd never seen before in a gym.

The hotel photos show a separate bath tub, but rooms we used, one double bed, and one king, neither had the separate bath tub. The rooms are clean, colorful and have flat screen TV. The beds are very comfortable and the nights were very quiet, the walls are not paper thin. But they don’t have a mini refrigerator, which I like to use to store milk or juice to use during my stay. The decoration is modern and colorful. The self park is good, it is very close. I will probably stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My family and I stayed here for a weekend getaway for my birthday. We loved everything about this resort.

We had a mountain/pool view room on the 4th floor. Room was nice, bigger then the average hotel room. Very clean and large bathroom. Made the stay with our two young children very comfortable.

We ate at their restaurant for the breakfast buffet every morning. Great buffet for the price! Made to order omelet station, waffle station, fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, potatoes, biscuits, gravy, yum!

This resort has a huge 25,000 square foot gym with everything you can imagine. The locals pay about a pretty price for their monthly membership, but I can see myself paying those kind of prices for the amenities.

You will see and meet many of the locals that belong to the gym club there. The OC has lots of $$ and you will feel it there. It is a beautiful resort!

There is a nice lap pool and a seperate pool on the opposite side. Large jacuzzi and a little water play area for kids. Everything is super clean. I liked the Family locker room where there were clean bathrooms, changing areas, lockers, and even a swimsuit spinner and plastic bags to get the excess water out of your suit before you bag it.

I did not take advantage of working out in the gym, but it looked beautiful and so did the people. Hey, I was on a weekend getaway for my birthday. The last thing I felt like doing was working out!

Self parking was $10. Not that bad. Valet was $20.

When we checked in there was a Rolls Royce parked in front of the resort, I also saw a lot of Porsche's and Jaguars.

I loved everything about this wonderful and relaxing resort filled with beautiful people. The bar scene was pretty cool. They had an outdoor area with many firepits and couches to relax and enjoy a cocktail on.

The resort was close to many restaurants and shops. Great location. Away from the hustle and bustle of the beach, but under a ten minute drive to the beach! Loved it!!

I want to go there every year for my birthday from here on out!

All of the employees I encountered were very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Stayed here for 4 days. The decor was nice but the beds were very uncomfortable. The mattress was poor quality and had a feather duster on top. The contoured sheet covered the duster but not the mattress. The duster kept on shifting so we took it off the bed. The duster stayed on the floor in the corner the entire visit although I asked for it to be removed. The room was VERY DUSTY which was really bad for my allergies. I had asked for a well dusted room when making the reservation but I was told no one on the staff even looked or were aware of my request. I ended up dusting the room myself everyday. ROOM SERVICE is a misnomer. You can order it but it comes up to an hour later and then it is very cold. The last day we figured out why. We ate breakfast in the restaurant downstairs and saw a room service order placed on the counter. It stayed there the whole 25 minutes we were in restaurant. Several staff walked by the tray and the cooks never bothered to let any one know that it was still stitting there. By the time we left it was still sitting on the counter. I mentioned this to the front desk manager but I'm sure nothing was done b/c we complained about the late, cold food, room service the whole 4 days and nothing changed. I would never stay here again even though it is a Marriott Hotel. We had to PAY FOR PARKING - $20/DAY. Ridiculous. This should be a free service or the hotel should have spaces reserved for paying hotel guests.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Ontario,Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

We stayed here last January, the hotel had just opened 6 months prior. I can't say enough of this place. Very very nice, clean and very professional staff. I need a computer ASAP and they quickly guided me to one... no added cost!
The room was spacious, very neat and a beautiful decorated. The view was okay, but we weren't there to look out the window.
The Hotel as a whole is very pro-health. I just felt like going for a jog every morning even though I don't jog and eating the best I can eat. This is a good thing!
The Location.... well, make sure you have a car to get around. There is a shopping area with lots of restaurants down the road a few blocks. Not within walking distance, unless you are extremely motivated!!!
I loved this hotel.... we travel a lot and it's a winner!!!!!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Mission Hills, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Don't let the look of this modern and nice property fool you. Yes the decor is great and the room is comfortable and neat however they do cater to the locals and gym members than they do guests who are staying at the hotel.

Our room service was delivered late over an hour, no call was made until we called to see what was going on. When the food was finally delivered it was cold! We only stay at Marriott properties so this has never happened. When we called to see if we can get something resent the Manager Dana was not only inconsiderate she could care less. She said she would check into our order and call us back. WTF? We had to call her back because we wanted to leave since it was already cutting into our plans for the day....so instead we went downstairs to check out and there was Dana. She not only offered to comp half the bill (trust me we did not eat the meal since it was cold) my hubby said no to remove it completely she relunctantly did.

Also, the staff itself was not only rude, from the operator, Dana the Manager on duty and all in between were just horrible. We have never experienced this before. Not only would we not go back we will avoid this place all together. Especially if you are looking for a place to relax, it is too fast paced and not for leisure time at all.

Stay away!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Stayed for a weekend with two teenage boys, 14 and 15. I asked for two rooms, one king and one double with extra pillows and towels...when I arrived, voila, not only was everything delivered but the rooms we're joined. This made life much easier. The stay was very pleasurable. The rooms are extremely comfortable with terrific bathrooms and a walk in shower. Alas, there is no fridge in the room, but a coffeemaker and fixens is supplied...but why bother when you can just go down teh elevator to the in-lobby coffe/juice bar! It's either a Coffee Bean or Starbucks...can't remember. In any case it very convenient.

Now the reality. This place is actually a huge, ultra-modern health club with a hotel attached to it. Everything is sports-oriented including the guestrooms. Our rooms had neon orange 1/4 pound dumb-bells stacked on a shelf in the bathroom (which I must say is extremely nice). The decor in our rooms consisted of pictures of slightly our of focus Swimmers, runners and divers as well as luxurious beds with fabric headboards that had appliqued X's & O's like those you'd find in a football locker-room whiteboard (I am not kidding). The color palate in the hotel and in the rooms is absolutely off-the-wall bold: blues, oranges, yellows, whites, chrome & plexiglas...lots and lots of it.. I think it's meant to wake you up in the morning ;-). The entire hotel is geared more towards efficiency than luxury and it works in a "sporty" kind of way.

We had dinner in the smallish restaurant, which is in an alcove directly across from the bar where you can have a drink with a guy in sneakers, a tank top and sweatpants, if you wish. The restaurant is fine so long as you stick to the basics: burgers, steaks, etc. The pasta is "pre-packaged"....I kid you not. They do some pizza-like appetizers on flatbread which my kids enjoyed. the waitstaff was very nice and attentive. All in all a good experience.

If you are into working out: welcome to nirvana. Along with a Junior Olympic swimming pool, a kid pool, a full-size basketball court, aquatic workouts, squash courts, free-weights and exercise equipment is a huge array of workout rooms including pilates, spinning, yoga, martial arts, and anything else you can think off. Staying at the hotel gives you access to it all. Of course you'll be sharing it with the locals who use it as their home healthclub but so what. Teh place is huge. It aslo has one of teh most extensive "kid-zones" I have ever seen so you can drop off your toddler for a couple of hours and hoist some iron. It's quite a place.

I paid $125 per night usig my AAA discount. This is a ridiculously low price for what you get but Aliso Vijeo is in the middle of nowhere. Parking is $10 per day unless your lazy like me and then you pay $20 for valet.

I can't recommend this place to anyone looking for romance, luxury or a quiet get-away but if you like to swim, jog, lift, train, run, stretch, sauna, get runbbed down and ogle at all the hard-bodies coming through the door......and do it all in the most modern of facilities, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#10 of 21 in Laguna Beach
3.5 of 5 stars 330 reviews

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo? Share your experiences!