“Incredible property” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aliso Viejo
Lake Forest, IL
“Incredible property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

Am on the 2nd day of our 5 day stay. This hotel has everything I could want: INCREDIBLE fitness facility. Lots of free classes, several LARGE (indoor) basketball courts, (squash courts?) , tons of free weights and machines, beautiful outdoor pools, hot tub, patio area with fire pit. The club/spa entrance on the left is separate from the hotel elevators on the right. I like having the opportunity to interact with "locals" and everyone at the fitness facility seemed incredibly nice and helpful (as do the hotel staff).
The locker room is sparkling clean and I had the spotless sauna to myself. There is also an indoor whirlpool and hot tub that I have not checked out yet.
Down the hill about half a mile is the Aliso Viejo town center mall - theatres, tons of restaurants and shops and a Ralphs. You can request a refrigerator for the room (no charge). There is a $10 self-park fee (we are investigating where else to park). NO traffic noise. Heard no other "room" noise on first night, but maybe hotel not too full just now? Rooms are great. I rolled the "desk" to the window and am writing this looking out the window. Have noticed with P/L you tend to get rooms with a view of the lower entrance roof/canopy and/or parking structure - but there are lots of other things to see and this is an overall wonderful set-up.
Have an in-house Starbucks and several other dining choices, have not tried yet.
My only advice if coming from SNA airport is to check directions to avoid the 73 "partial toll road" You are on it for about 4 miles and have to pay $4.75.

• Liked — fitness orientation, clean, quiet, location,
  • Disliked — charging for self-parking parking
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

I’ve stayed at this hotel twice, once right after it opened this summer and then again recently. I’m glad I waited to post a review. During my first visit the property had just opened, it was summer time so there were tons families with kids running around. That was the biggest negative for me. I was drawn back to the hotel because it is so convenient, clean and the staff is attentive, but mostly because of the incredible fitness center. I hate working out in closet sized gyms that most hotels offer. The fitness center here has everything you could want; even the most ardent gym rat would love this place. The equipment is top of the line and there is so much of it that I never have to wait. The group exercise classes are ongoing and they have some great instructors. I worked out in the morning and then I took a great class before dinner. We had a relaxing dinner on the patio, enjoying the Southern California evening. The combination of having a great workout, a successful business meeting and then falling into a down mattress at the end of the day made my trip a complete success. I will definitely stay at this hotel again and next time I’ll book a spa appointment.

• Liked — fitness center
  • Disliked — kids during the summer
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Southern CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

I travel to Aliso Viejo on business every month and was happy to see they finally opened a hotel there. Considering all the businesses in the area, I'm surprised it took so long. I noticed it was a "spa" hotel and decided to extend my stay and enjoy the facilities. Once I arrived, the staff was very friendly. I really liked the modern decor and the rooms were well decorated. However, the modern up tempo feel of the hotel did not match the guests. Be prepared for screaming, running unruly children in All "common areas" i.e., hallways, elevators, pool, etc!! I guess the hotel also sells memberships to locals and that could be why there are so many children in a hotel located in a business area. If you are looking to relax or a hotel while on business, this is Not the place. Unless they change the rules as far as children running rampant throughout the hotel, I don't plan on coming back.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Too many children
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
omaha
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

If you are not staying at this hotel to use the spa then dont bother. I really felt if you were not a local who joined the spa then they just didnt care about you. They really need to work on treating their hotel quests the same way they treat their spa members.

Also if you plan on using the kids club make sure they tell you the rules. I had called several times prior to our trip to see if I could use the club. First of all you can only leave your child for 3 hours and you may not leave the hotel. Never once was I told these rules. I dropped my 5 yr old off to catch a movie and do a little shopping. After the movie I stopped in to check on him and they said he was fine and didnt want to leave. So I said ok we will be doing a little shopping. They called my cell phone several times and had left messages in my room. This is all after they did reach me and I said I would be right there. The manager then read me the riot act. My son wanted to go back the next day and I said no.

I had called for a cab to the airport the day before. The front desk screwed that up too. They said another party would be going with me which was fine so we could share the cab fee. Well the next morning I had 3 cabs waiting and so I didnt share. The cab was $50.

If you are a health guru the hotel would probably be great. But for a family not so great. Another issue is the pool was usually full with a water class going on. I would not recommend for a family.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — dining options
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
santa clara, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed at the renaissance over a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The rooms were extremely modern and large - loved the white sheets with down duvet. The HD TV was a nice touch while we caught up on the olympics.

I loved how they threw in little things like free wireless internet and bath robes - other places nickle and dime you for things like that. We kept ourselves extremely busy with the fitness classes offered at ClubSport. We were amazed at how hi-tech the gym is - definitely the best we've seen. All the fitness instructors were awesome and we felt like we really got our money's worth.

The pool area was also very well done with lap pools and fun pools. We didnt get to eat at the hotel but we were told that every thing is under 458 calories - great for the fitness buff! We also noticed there was a kids room for kids programs - what more could a family want?

And best part, got a great deal on priceline!

• Liked — fitness facilities
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Carmel, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

We had last minute travel to attend a grueling, all-weekend business conference. Looking at available options online, we found this "Spa Hotel" which had recently opened a few weeks before. From the description and concept of the hotel as stated on the web listing, we assumed that this hotel was marketed to busy professionals on the road, who wanted to maintain fitness and a healthy lifestyle while on the road. As busy professionals who travel in excess of 100 days per year on the road, this concept was greatly appealing.

We arrived at the hotel at 6 pm on Friday after a long, tiring day of travel. The staff was excellent, and it is clear that they are trying very hard to offer outstanding customer service and a positive experience. So far, so good.

We sat down to dinner at the in-house restaurant, to mixed reviews. The waitstaff is working hard and was very attentive. The food was big disappointment, especially for an established hotel chain like the Marriott. Our appetizers were cold (they were supposed to be hot) and completely unappetizing. To our servers credit, he removed them immediately and voided the charge from our bill. The entrees, although well presented, were absolutely appalling. I have had better meals in cooking schools. The kitchen needs alot of work and a professional touch.

We were then told that Friday was "Family Fun" night. Apparently, this hotel also sells fitness club memberships to locals, and this was a "fun night" for the fitness club membership. "Locals" apparently means loud, drunk, tattooed bikers and unruly, unattended and clearly undisciplined children.

As a professional, I do not appreciate sharing the whirlpool with a group of unsupervised and clearly unmanageable six year olds, nor do I wish to work out with a group of unruly 8 to 10 year old boys running around the fitness room playing tag and generally doing their best to destroy the equipment. It was many things, but definitely not "relaxing" or "spa" like.

I then elbowed my way through the throng of double wide strollers wielded by assertive soccer moms to get to the elevators to try and escape the madness.

We then retired to our room for a shower and to get ready for the long day of intense meetings awaiting us. After unclogging our shower from a grotesque amount of hair, we had a mediocre shower and fled to a local restaurant in Dana Point to escape the bedlam of the hotel and enjoy a few minutes of peace and quiet and a "real" meal.

This hotel needs to decide (and quickly) if they are going to market to professionals on the road or be a "family-friendly" resort. The two categories are not compatible. Although the concept and marketing would appear to be directed towards professionals, it is apparent that in practice, out-of-control families with small children are running the circus.

I guess if you were a suburban mom who jumped at the chance to spend your time at the hotel pool bar while your children ran rampant and out of control, it was a great experience. If you were a professional looking forward to some much needed peace and quiet after a day of travel in anticipation of upcoming meetings, it was the experience from hell.

• Liked — Liked the concept of healthy eating and fitness while on the road.
  • Disliked — Being surrounded by young children who were clearly unsupervised and not hotel guests.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo? Share your experiences!