“ULTIMATE HOTEL EXPERIENCE FOR A MODEST PRICE” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aliso Viejo
Nebraska
“ULTIMATE HOTEL EXPERIENCE FOR A MODEST PRICE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I discovered this hotel when I bought a package deal that combined hotel, plane tickets, and rental car. The deal was so amazing, I didn't have high hopes for the hotel. Was I ever wrong! That was last October, and my family and I just returned home today from ANOTHER week's stay at Renaissance ClubSport in Aliso Viejo. We love this place!!!!

First, the fitness aspect of it. As hotel guests, you are entitled to full use of the world class fitness club attached to the hotel. This isn't just some little room with a few free weights and a couple of treadmills. I'm talking dozens of classes, olympic like cardio equipment (too many to count), basketball courts, lemon water, fresh towels, steam rooms, saunas, swimming pools, hot tubs....you just have to see it to believe it. And here's another nice perk we discovered on this trip: Our family in town (whom we were here to visit) could join us for exercise by simply signing them in at the front desk. What a great and healthy way for us all to hang out!

Second, the amenities are fabulous. Excellent restaurant on site, spa (I got a heavenly body brush treatment), coffee shop, patio, bar area, iced water dispensers by the elevators, complimentary granny smith apples and newspapers (Wall Street Journal, LA Times, and USA Today), and high speed internet. There's also valet parking or convenient self-parking. This places lacks NOTHING! One night they even had family movie night by the pool!

Third, the rooms are modern, clean, and comfortable. Feather beds, huge pillows, and large, bright bathrooms with waterfall showers. My only complaint was there weren't enough hooks to hang wet towels from. There was only one hook in our bathroom and no bars, so we had to throw wet towels on the floor instead of being nice to to the planet and hanging them up for reuse. Also, queen beds (as opposed to doubles) would have been nice, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us.

Fourth, Customer Service. This place is tops! Everyone who works here, from the hotel, to the fitness center, to the restaurant, to the spa, is friendly and helpful. It's like they got Disney training or something. We stayed here a week and the service stayed consistently good.

Every time we stay at Renaissance ClubSport, I return home to Nebraska feeling refreshed and actually weighing less! This is our home away from home in southern California. I hope it never changes.

Room Tip: When you book a package deal (we did ours through Orbitz), it doesn't specify whether your room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was quite a different style of Marriott than I have stayed at before. Very hip feeling in the lobby. Obviously a big push towards fitness and a fabulous gym. Alas I was here for business in the area and I was in the property only 10 hours before leaving again.

The woman at the desk when I checked in was top notch. She was handling many people checking in with incredible professionalism, friendly and efficient. Wish I had asked her name to advise her manager what a great job she did ( I checked in Friday at around 10:30pm). She alone was worth 4 stars!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

If you like an absolute first class health club, this is the place! The room was very spacious and quiet and the staff professional. The food was very tasty and we enjoyed the free fruit and spa water very much.

• Stayed April 2013
Calif
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

This place is all about Heath. It is clean. The prices of food and beverage are reasonable. The people that work there seem truly happy. It is not that put on fake feeling of trained customer service. They are very attentive. There are a lot of locals here that use the gym and stay later. I can also say ( not from personal experience as I am happily married) but a lot of shall we say....uh...people find love..at least for one night...interesting to watch.

Stayed August 2013
Southwest Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I wanted to give this hotel one star, but added a second star due to the friendliness and prompt responsiveness of the staff.

There's very little good to tell here. The location is excellent. A short five minute car ride, or a good 15 minute walk to the Aliso Viejo Town Center, where there are many restaurants, including well known chains such as Romano's Macaroni Grill and Chilis, among others. I would recommend Panini Cafe, for a delicious sampling of Mediterranean food.

The staff is incredibly friendly and responsive. Another plus.

One other positive is the sumptuous breakfast buffet. And if you are a Gold or Platinum Marriott Rewards member, it is free.

There was a lot of bad here. First of all, I have stayed at Marriott Renaissance hotels before, and they are usually so upscale it is apparent that you are staying at a Renaissance. Not this one. Even though it is a fairly new hotel, the room we had seemed somewhat dated. Specifically, the furniture was more like Ikea. And for a luxury brand, that is unacceptable. Plus the room was on the small side.

Problem #2. No internet in my room. I paid a premium price to stay here, and the internet in my room was so spotty and it eventually went away completely. When I complained to the front desk about this, the agent told me that they were aware of this problem and needed to upgrade their wireless internet. She recommended I use the internet in the lobby where the signal strength was strong. So the hotel is aware of it and still hasn't fixed it? Unacceptable number 2.

It was impossible to watch TV in the room at night. This hotel has Direct TV, and every channel I was watching, or shall I say "trying to watch", was breaking up to such a degree that it was giving me a headache and I had to stop watching. I told the front desk. They said an Engineer would look into it while I was out, but nothing changed. Unacceptable number 3.

This hotel clearly does not cater to the business traveler. It is exactly what it says it is; a Sports Spa. Everything, except for maybe the breakfast buffet, is geared towards healthy eating. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you wanted a danish or a cookie with a cup of coffee after a hard day's work, you won't find any of that at the Starbucks coffee stand they had in the lobby.

I stayed here at the recommendation of my client, since it is only a five minute walk to my client's office. But despite that, my client's rate was unavailable so I had to pay a higher charge of $251 per night.

And for that I got a small room, no internet in my room, and for all intents and purposes, no TV in my room.

Needless to say, I will never stay here again and do not recommend this hotel to any business traveler staying in the area, no matter how close it may be to your office or your client's office.

This was a surprisingly bad experience for a Marriott.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a little 1-night staycation here to decompress before getting back to the grind. The service and staff were great and the property has much to offer. Its got a newer more modern feel to it.

Our room overlooked the pool area and didn't feel cramped at all. There was even a chaise lounge chair next to the window. There was also a desk area, keurig coffee maker, flat screen tv, closet, safe and bathrobes. The bathroom was really nice with a glass door and rain shower. There were actually decent working blow dryers too. There were Aveda products in there as well. As far as our king size bed goes, I'm not sure if its a chain wide Marriott thing or not but the bed was on the firmer side, which for some might be fine but for me was a little difficult to get completely comfortable in. I would still stay here again anytime.

The sports club can easily be compared to an Equinox, Sports Club LA, or 24hr Fitness Ultra Sport-type gym.

There is a great outdoor lounge area with couches fire pits. We sat out here to eat dinner and ordered a bunch of stuff off the share plates menu so we could try a little bit of everything. The food was fantastic! Everything we ate was great! They also offered a healthy choice menu and a great micro brew selection. There is a bar inside and deli. The morning breakfast buffet offered everything from eggs, bacon and waffles to omelettes and hot & cold cereal and fruit. We would definitely come to this property just to eat and hang out.

The hotel sits right off the 73 TOLL road which made it very quick and easy for me to get back to work in Newport the next morning but if you're not one with a toll road transponder, be prepared to pay the tolls in cash. There was self parking ($10) as well as valet parking but it didn't look like anyone was really monitoring the self parking in the structure.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here for one night over the busy fourth of July weekend. The room was bright and sunny, with a great large shower. Although the hotel was fully booked, it did not seem crowded. We only used the pool during our stay - it was fine, but not a "resort" feeling pool area. The fitness club appeared to be top notch and was very busy with local residents and families. We enjoyed the complimentary gold elite breakfast, which was very, very good. It's a nice option in the area, fairly easy to get around. Watch out for the toll road though, it gets pricey and have cash to pay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo? Share your experiences!