“Great Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Aliso Viejo
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for a week on business. The hotel provided everything I needed including a state of the art gym with every machine and classes available for no extra charge! The bathroom was huge and included a makeshift bookshelf to hold stuff and spacious vanity by many hotel standards. Towels were great, not the threadbare ones.

I did not eat at the restaurant, as I thought the prices were a bit steep and personally, I like to venture out. There are many restaurants "down the hill" from the hotel, including a trader joe's.

There's a great self serve coffee bar behind the restaurant that offers quick breakfast options like hard boiled eggs, tuna salad, egg salad and single portion cereals and coffee of course. It is staffed and options for lattes and shakes are available. Its quite reasonable too for a hotel.

Staff was very friendly and engaging. Two calls to front desk were answered quickly.

I have to agree with prior posts regarding very thin walls. Luckily it wasn't an issue for me.

Note to hotel: Being a health minded visitor, it would have been nice if there was a refrigerator in the room or least the ability to request one.

I would stay here again for the gym alone. 4 stars as I believe its above average, but its no Ritz.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
RenaissanceClubSport, Senior Hotel Sales Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for your great review, we really appreciate your honest feedback. Here at the Renaissance ClubSport, we are pleased to offer all our hotel guests complimentary access to many resort-like amenities without any of the usual resort fees or health club fees that you will likely find at comparable locations. ClubSport is a world-class, 75,000 sq ft sports and fitness complex including aquatic center, high-end locker rooms, spa, sauna and more. All this, with a lovely boutique-style hotel, our acclaimed Citrus Fresh Grill, the R Spa, business services and more. Our Renaissance ClubSport staff strives for service excellence everyday, in everything we do. Part of taking great care of our hotel guests is listening to your preferences and special requests. We now offer a limited supply of small refrigerators and microwaves to our guests, on a request basis. Make sure to ask for one at check-in the next time you stay with us. See you soon and thanks for choosing Renaissance ClubSport !

165 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed in this hotel a couple times with my family, i like fitness and gym in this hotel is really excellent. Hotel is relatively new and lobby in very nice as well as rooms. Food is ok (but not more), service is fine. The only note that the hotel is a bit overpriced for its value, especially when you are a long-stay guest they should have better offers.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
RenaissanceClubSport, Senior Hotel Sales Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Robert,

Thanks for the kind review of the Renaissance ClubSport, we were happy to have you and your family as our guests! Please know, the Renaissance ClubSport takes your feedback very seriously, and we will continue to look for new ways to improve the culinary experience for our guests. As well, though we feel our amenities and "resort-like" atmosphere (without any extra resort fees) presents a great value in this area, adjacent to Laguna Beach, etc. - we will continue to solicit guest comments on how we can package additional value for our long-term stay guests. Thanks again for choosing Renaissance ClubSport and hope to see you again !

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Staying here on business, mostly having a positive experience. Rooms very clean and modern - love the updated bathrooms. There is a restaurant downstairs and the room service menu is great. Also, there is the gym here which I have not visited. The front desk has been excellent so far... I have had some issues and they remedy them quickly. For example, my hair dryer was broken and they sent a brand new one up in about 10-15 minutes. I attempted to purchase some soda from the vending machine and the machine ate my money and didn't give me any soda, so I called the front desk and they sent me up replacement soda. I appreciate their willingness to try to please and right situations. The bed is very comfortable, rooms a decent size.
Minor complaints : SUPER thin walls, you can literally hear your neighbor fart. I'm not kidding about that... and my neighbor is very gassy. Last night my room neighbor was blasting music until 2 am. I did call the front desk and I think they attempted to get the fellow to quiet down but they started the music back up again. Also, the bathroom stuff is Aveda (awesome!) but they do NOT provide any body wash/proper body soap. All you get is hand soap. I asked housekeeping for body soap/wash specifically and still did not get any. Oh well, right? Just bring your own, I would have if I had known. I'd stay here again (and bring my own body wash). Over all a very decent hotel :)

Room Tip: Bring your own body wash or soap, none is provided. Only hand soap. They do give great Aveda brand...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel is in the middle of business parks, retails, restaurants, all within couple minutes drive. Nice good looking contemporary lobby and room decor. Service was great with friendly staff. We had TV issue and the evening maintenance person tried everything he can to make sure we are totally satisfied with the new room we transferred to. They have a membership gym on site (FREE TO USE AS HOTEL GUEST), has everything there, its like a brand new LA Fitness with upgraded machines, clean plush towels, and friendly staff. They also have "kids club" babysitting service. Will bring our kids here next time.

Room Tip: Upper floor no connecting
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ringwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The ClubSport is a strange place. I was never really sure if it was a health club, with a hotel attached or a hotel with a health club attached.

The health club facilities are excellent, better than in most dedicated health clubs. The rooms are basic fayre nothing to write home about, definitely nothing special. For the price I would expect a lot more.

I found the service throughout the hotel to be to the normal American standard, good but again nothing special. The buffet breakfast was excellent. For other eating probably best to go elsewhere as the choice is limited, but to a decent standard.

No complaints, but at the price not special enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RenaissanceClubSport, Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Rob,

Thank you for taking time to submit your review. Indeed the Renaissance ClubSport is a very unique brand within the Marriott family of hotels which offers a world-class 75,000 square foot sports and fitness complex attached to our boutique hotel. One of the tremendous value enhancements to our hotel guests is that access to the ClubSport facilities, including the massive health club, aquatic center, etc. - is on a completely complimentary basis during your stay with us! No resort fees, no health club fees. Truly an amazing value. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Aliso Viejo, California in the future.

Solvang, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very fun looking hotel. We stayed here while visiting family in the same city. The room was nice but lacking in some areas. What? No bath mat? Also, only a shower and no tub. We had our 3 year old granddaughter with us and were not able to give her a bath. Also, the bed looked like it was going to be so comfy but the feather bed on top of the mattress just compressed after we laid on it and we wee left on a hard mattress.

In all fairness, the staff was wonderful. We got the AAA special deal that included breakfast for two and they didn't charge us extra for the breakfast voucher for our granddaughter. The food choices were many, including an omelet station. We were pleased with breakfast.

When we were searching for a hotel in the Alsio Viejo area, we found this and one other. If we needed to stay in a hotel in AV again, we would definitely stay here but ask for a room with a tub and request a bath mat - simple things!

Room Tip: Fourth floor was very nice but the promised "city view" was obstructed by a big palm tree...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed 4 nights. Let me start with the good: wonderful customer service at front check in desk and breakfast buffet. Very comfortable bed, linens, and overall accommodations. Not a fan of the bright color scheme for the hotel, but didn't impact my stay. Lol. Now the other: when I arrived on Sunday afternoon valets were no where to be found, with random cars parked and blocking ability to enter or exit. During my first night I heard the door next to my room open then slam several times; it literally shook the wall and woke me from a dead sleep. In the morning I noticed the door beside me was to a storage room. When the slamming started again on my second night, I counted 5 slams then stuck my head out and asked the young man if he would mind NOT slamming the door again. He was quite surprised and apologized. I stopped by the front desk at 7 am to suggest additional staff awareness or training for the convenience of those staying in these areas of the hotel. Did not hear a single slam nights 3 and 4. :). Accurate bill slipped under the door. Self parking couldn't be more convenient, and is clean and well light.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo? Share your experiences!