“Foghorn with Food Poisoning” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Albion River Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Albion
Albion River Inn
You added Albion River Inn to your Saves list
3790 N. Highway 1, PO Box 100, Albion, CA 95410   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Albion B&B and Inns
St. Louis
“Foghorn with Food Poisoning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2005

When my wife and the wife of a friend booked the Albion River Inn as the mid-portion of our California trip I was thrilled. We started at the Harvest Inn in St. Helena (wonderful!!), and wound our way North with plans to head back through Sonoma. The brochure was great even though it seemed odd that you had to pre-pay in full. We checked into the cute cottages and looked out upon a spectacular view. Then we found out why they provided complimentary ear plugs in the bedside basket. There was a deafening foghorn that went off every 20 seconds, day and night. You could not even sit comfortably on the porch. This was nowhere near the peaceful, tranquil romantic spot I imagined.

Nonetheless we had reservations made six months prior at the award winning restaurant (we love good food and fine wine). When we arrived if they had sat us any closer to the kitchen we could have made our own salads. I guess everyone else had reservations for more than six months. We were actually doing Ok until about 3 hours later when my wife received the wrath of the cream-based soup she had with dinner (only she had the soup). Food poisoning raised its ugly head and lowered hers as she slept on the cool tile floor of the bathroom and tried to block out the deafening fog horn.

She did survive but barely as we tried to make the trip down winding route 1 the next day. My traveling friend and myself are both physicians so I think we know food poisoning when we see it. I explained the situation to the desk clerk who simply didn't give a ----! I guess he thought we were trying to get the bill marked down.

We just returned from a truly wonderful week in St. Helena again at the beautiful Harvest Inn. We love returning to places that make us feel welcome. Never ever ever ever will we set foot in the Albion River Inn again. God help those who venture into Foghorn Hell!

• Stayed July 2004
, Administrative Assistant at Albion River Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2006
Thank you for your review. We apologize for your uncomfortable stay and that your needs were not met. We are disappointed that we (meaning the management) weren't given the chance to correct them properly. The owners usually deal with issues like these personally.
As for the fog horn...It is out of our hands and in the U.S Coast Guards. Quite a few or our guests find it a relaxing change from city noise; car alarms and sirens. And for the guest who isn't fond of it we do provide the ear plugs.
Once again we do apologize for your inconvienence and hope you will try the Albion River Inn again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2004

My husband and I reserved the most expensive-type room that they have at the Albion River Inn. This room costs $325/night. The decor looked like it was from the 1980s. The rug had numerous burns, as did the chairs in front of the fireplace. There were 3 panes of glass that comprise the sliding glass doors (which overlook the ocean) and one of them was completely fogged, as the seal between the two panes of glass had broken. We asked for another room, because this was totally unacceptable. We had to take a step down to the next class of rooms. That room was okay, but we could hear our next-door neighbors like we were in the same room as them.

The next day, we saw pictures while standing in the dining room that showed a beautifully-decorated room. This room was stunning, and it's the room that is shown on the website. We asked about this room as we were checking out, and were told that that room was one of the more newly-renovated rooms. They charge the same price for the newly-renovated room as they do the room with the 1980s decor, the fogged up sliding glass door, and the burns in the carpet and furniture. My husband and I think that it wholly unethical, which has caused us to question the integrity of the owners. We will never go back there, and we do not recommend it.

San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2004

I've stayed at the Albion River Inn about 6 times and absolutely love it there. The cottages are beautifully and elegantly decorated and the direct ocean views spectacular. The most premium cottages have Jacuzzi spa tubs and separate shower. Beds are comfortable, the fireplace is wonderful and you can enjoy the view from your private deck with adirondack chairs. While the rack rate is pretty steep, the spa cottages are worth the splurge for a special occasion. They regularly offer discounted off-season rates to returning (and now new) guests mid-week Nov to March. It's a great opportunity to experience this inn. I've stayed at many hotels and B&B in and around Mendocino and this one is my favorite. It's the absolute privacy and stunning views that make it so. They get plenty of return guests who have favorite rooms, so book way in advance. They also include a very good full breakfast in their onsite restaurant and open it only to guests staying at the inn, which is a nice touch. Plans are underway soon to improve their website to allow users to preview pictures of the rooms (a good idea since all the cottages and rooms are individually decorated) as well as check availability and book online. If you looking for a wonderful inn in Mendocino, you will not be disappointed staying at the Albion River Inn!

• Stayed June 2005
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2004

My husband and I just spent three amazing nights at the Albion River Inn. Our cottage was wonderful...perched on a cliff above the sea....our own private deck to watch the sunsets...a fireplace to warm the foggy nights...a perfect spot to relax and renew our romance. Dinner in the restaurant was excellent... the food, the service and the atmosphere!!! On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the Albion River Inn a 10+++++.

• Stayed September 2004
San Anselmo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Albion River Inn in August to celebrate my 40th birthday. We had a very spacious detached cabin (room 5- great!) with its own deck (complete with Adirondack chairs), a tub for two with a view of the ocean and a fireplace. Everything was comfortable, quiet, relaxing and wonderful. The restaurant was good, although I would say the service wasn't necessarily up to the level of the food (in addition to breakfast, which is included with the room, we ate dinner there two nights). Some people may be disappointed that there is no hiking or beach access from the hotel. But the town of Mendocino is just a few miles away and there are plenty of places to walk there. I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway or for someone looking for a serene spot for some rest and relaxation.

vacaville, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2003

I was married here on August 19, 2001. It was soooo beautiful and romantic. We had a 15 People. The staff is great. The rooms are very pretty. Some of the best I have ever had. My friends have raved that it was one of the most intimate, meaningful, elegant weddings they have attended. I attribute that to the location, the staff, and the beautiful grounds of Albion Inn. The only negatives -- which mattered very little! -- I thought my dinner wasn't that great. Nobody else complained. Maybe I was overwhelmed. I don't know. You can hear the fog horn. That may bother some. Nobody complained, though. The following evening we went to Little River Inn up the street for dinner for an outstanding dinner rivaling Mustard's Grill (My favorite place to eat in the world!!) I would higly reccomend Albion Inn. My daughter who is 18 plans on getting married here as well! Oh, and you can't go wrong with the rooms. They were all great that I seen. If you're getting married, I highly recommend James Sibbet (Spelling??) perform the ceremony. He was REALLY fabulous!!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2003

Luxury cabin for two perched on the rocks above the Pacific just where the Albion River pours in! Each day your fireplace is set with real wood, ready to start with only one match (still can't see how they do this so well!) Gourmet breakfast is included at the 4-star restaurant, and dinner there is out of this world! Each cabin has a deck and tremendous, unobstructed views of the Pacific. Nearby Mendocino, to the north, is delightful. The local area provides redwoods, canoeing, kayaking, fishing (if you are into that) hikking, wonderful eating and drinking at the nearby wineries! We've been twice and will go again! Each night you are likely to meet one of the owners, Flurry, or his business partner, Peter, whose daughter, Sally, might be there to entertain you singing...nightly live piano music to just wonderful and relaxing!

Been to Albion River Inn? Share your experiences!