“Good Sichuan food at ok prices.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 75 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Chinese
Santa Cruz, California, United States
“Good Sichuan food at ok prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

In general I think the food is quite good. My wife is Chinese (but not Sichaunese) and assures me that by US standards it is excellent. We usually get the West something or other FIsh Soup (the restaurant's signature dish) and village lamb as well as something else. The village lamb is good but similar to what you might get else where. Stir-fried lamb with cumin, onions and peppers. The soup is excellent and takes a while to eat so you don't get in and out and feel like you went through your money in no time. Also I'm not usually a fish person but I find the soup excellent. Our experience with a 3rd dish is mixed. I seem to remember getting Peking Duck once and finding it only OK. Oyster beef was a bit like the lamb pretty good but the same as elsewhere. Service is neither good nor bad. Certainly not worse than average for a Chinese restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

SF Bay Area
“Temporarily CLOSED to due to fire”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

One of my favorite places for Sichuan cuisine was closed due to a kitchen fire in late March. According to reports, they are anticipating a re-opening in October 2012. I am looking forward to eating their cumin lamb, wok-charred cabbage and their 1,000 chilies fish soup again!

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Carlos, California
“Good food, but the experience could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

My GF and I had dinner here on our way back from Tahoe. We ordered braised duck and beef chow fun. The duck was very tender. Our waiter told us it had been braised for hours. It tasted like it and was good. The Chow fun was good, also.

The decor is a bit dated and the appearance of the inside of the restaurant looks a bit worn. I guess you could call this place a "hole in the wall" type restaurant...except it is a bit too large for that moniker.

Overall our dining experience was good. I would recommend that the owners of the restaurant invest in some interior decorating. A nicer, cleaner interior would give me much more confidence in recommending this place. Worn decor indicates (to me) that the owners don't care that much about their property--and maybe their food as well.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Food was ok,but unethical on how they kept the change as their tip without customer's approval.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011 via mobile

Meal was on the expensive side for what you get. Bill came to $51 and I handed the server $60. She never came back with my change. After 10 minutes wait I asked the waitress about my change and she said I thought it was our tip. Wrong assumption! We never told them the change was the tip. We would have left tip after we received the change. We will not patronage them any longer. Other customers should beware of their sneaky tactics.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Outdated menus with old prices posted outside & on carry-out”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

This restaurant has old menus posted outside the entrance and a stack of carry-out menus on the cashier's counter. They have never been updated to show the restaurant's now much-higher prices (at least $1 or $2 more for each dish). I complained to the cashier about this several months ago yet the restaurant has done nothing to correct what amounts to their false advertising.

Besides this, I have repeatedly found the food and service to be mediocre at best. The staff is rude and obnoxious. There are several much better Chinese restaurants nearby further up Solano Avenue & on San Pablo Ave.

• Visited March 2011