“Another fine property by this chain!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1260 S. Loop Rd, Alameda, CA 94502 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #5 of 9 hotels in Alameda
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Another fine property by this chain!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The building is new clean and well equipped. Located in an office park right near the airport, this location is well situated for those spend the night before an early morning flight or working in the area. It is also close to the water and the ferry landing so you can base here and get in San Fran. The neighborhood is corporate and seemingly safe. The Oakland Raiders offices are right next door!

The rooms were great and very well laid out. I found the rooms large and clean plus each room has a nice desk and kitchen. The beds were a bit hard for my taste but fine over all. The only drawbacks to the hotel are that the Oakland Airport is a FedEx mini hub thus lots of late night and early AM flights.

Over all I enjoyed my stayed. It was a great area to run in. Also there is a huge public golf course nearby so next time I will be sure to bring my clubs!

Room Tip: upper floor facing away from the runway please!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed the large layout of our rooms and that the area was so convenient for you. We look forward to seeing you again, with your golf clubs in tow, should your travels bring you back to our area!

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We went there for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders game it is next door to the Raiders practice facilities 5min from the Airport and 10 min from the Coliseum for food though you will need a car closest restaurants are 10min drive. The rooms are very nice size and clean. Free internet and parking for your car which is always a plus a stove, refridge, and micro. included. Could maybe use new carpet in rooms, but over all pleased with the stay there was another couple with us also and they said there room was fine also. If you need a hotel that will have a lot of things around the corner without a car then its not for you, but its priced very. well

Room Tip: if your a person that needs absolute quit for sleeping its good until about 6:00am then the planes s...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that found our rooms to be very nice and clean. Same goes for free internet, parking and of course our fully equipped Kitchens. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area. Btw, Go Raiders!!!
Bozeman, MT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

(1) I agree with many other posters on various travel sites who say that this is the worst hotel that they’ve ever stayed in (and, for reference, I’ve traveled 90 days/year over the past 10 years and stayed in hotels ranging from 1-star to 5-star).

(2) Please know that there are absolutely ZERO restaurants, bars, or shopping anywhere remotely close to this hotel, meaning that you’re truly stuck there unless you have a car or want to pay $15 for every taxi ride. (I will say that the delivery service that brought me a hamburger and French fries made good food and provided very good service. But, I arrived at the “hotel” at 2pm in the afternoon and felt pretty much stranded there until I departed at 6am on the following morning.)

(3) My room reeked of smoke (and I even found ashes on the windowsill, presumably from someone who knew that my room was a non-smoking room but couldn’t resist his/her cigarettes so smoked by the window). Regarding smoke, I smelled marijuana smoke in the hallways when I first went to my room at 2pm in the afternoon. And I smelled marijuana smoke in the hallways when I left the hotel at 6am in the morning.

(4) This hotel does NOT have an airport shuttle! (This hotel should not be classified as being in the Airport Region of Oakland. I made the assumption that this hotel would have a courtesy shuttle from and to the airport. If you are basing your hotel choice on PRICE, be careful!! You must add $30 to your estimated costs for this hotel, as you necessarily must use a taxi at LEAST twice, and that will only be to get you from and to the airport.

My final plea is this: Travelers, please do everything humanly possible to avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: A good room does not exist at this turd of hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport, responded to this review, August 23, 2012

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why we strive so hard to accommodate them with clean, comfortable rooms at an exceptional price. In order to meet the needs of our guests, we designate certain rooms for smokers and the rest for non-smokers. Guests who request non-smoking rooms should not smoke in them; I apologize if you found this to not be the case.

Along these lines, we have extremely high housekeeping standards which enables our property to keep a certain level of cleanliness, and ultimately have a fresh smell. Clearly there was a breakdown in processes for these things, of which I have made all of our staff aware, during your stay.

"
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

I have to admit, after spending much, much time at ESA's around the country, this certainly ranks up there with the best I've stayed at (thats not saying terrribly much but nothing to sneeze at either).

It looks very clean and well kept from the exterior, but of course ESA is famous for slapping some varnish on a pile of manure and callling it a palace..but alas the room was clean and didn't have the same thick smell of curry and old fish that permeated the hallway (a smell that one encounters with seemingly unlikely consistency across ESA's nation wide). Then again I just quit smoking and now everything smells terrible anyway.

Slept great, bathroom was clean and did what it needed to. TV was fine,.,.

As per usual my ESA pet Peeve...... DON'T call internet that runs below 1MB as high speed! It's not! 250k internet was mediocre in the 90s!! Get with the program!!
That being said, I'm D and I endorse this hotel (especially to poor people like me)

• Stayed July 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We regard a consistent, dependable Internet experience as crucial for our guests, who are often staying with us for long periods of time while on business. That's why we have invested so much in a technology infrastructure that supports our guests' internet needs. Uploading and downloading documents across a VPN, emailing, and keeping up with friends on social networking websites are all tasks that our guests perform regularly. However, our networks are not designed to accommodate resource intensive tasks like transferring large video files. Although we can typically identify and limit users who are tying up network resources, an overall slowness can be experienced across the network before we are able to respond. I assure you that I take your comments very seriously, and that we will continue to invest in reliable wireless Internet access for our guests.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other of our brand locations in the future.
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Great place if you need a cheap overnight stay.
Reviews around the Internet span from horrible to great. I didn't see the horrible.
My room was very clean and comfortable and large.
Internet was free but slow.
TV has all the channels.
Towels were a bit like sand paper.
Front desk staff was nice.

I was awaken by a very unpleasant man who knocked at my door at at 1130 and said "It's time to leave." He was more of a bouncer. Apparently checkout was 11.

If you have a car, this hotel is convenient to the Oakland Coliseum. Without a car, this hotel isn't convenient to much.

Hotel parking lot butts up against the OAKLAND Airport airfield, but its not close to the terminal.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you so very much for your positive review of our hotel. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know that our offerings are compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
Alameda, Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

What they said: "Breakfast will be served at 7am"
Reality: No breakfast was served (checked frequently between 7am to 9am)
Their response to complaint: Shrug

Room: Smelled like strong indian spice and curry
Bed: was slanted
Noise: Very high, construction started at 6am, no warnings, no apologies

They were unapologetic, offered no compensation.
We booked 2 nights, after 1st night wanted to leave, no refund, "too bad" attitude

Detailed story if it interests you:
My parents and my brother were visiting during spring break to meet my fiance.
I had some friends who recommended this place (a year ago). And I remember it being nice when I visited, and the price was also the best in the area.

My parents often do not complain at all. I offered to ask to change the room with the terrible smell of curry but they said it was ok. But then the next day my mom calls me and tells me that they want to move hotels (they never do this). But after they found out that they wouldn't refund our money after all our complaints they said they would endure one more night although I PLEADED with them to allow me to just book them another hotel as I felt ashamed to have placed my parents there. I was willing to pay another $150 for another hotel in the area and just let them have the money for another night of stay.

They told me they would stay one more night, after I kept pleading to let me move them, but they said "for us its ok, but please don't let anyone else stay at this place." She said "this is like an apartment with bad managers." Not a hotel feel at all. I think perhaps they went under new management recently, which might explain the previous recommendations from my friends.

If you are the manager of the this apartment and are reading this, please apologize for this terrible experience.

But to zoom out, emotions aside. The price was best in area for around $60 a night. So if you don't mind the smell of curry, the chance of no breakfast, lack of service, or construction noise then go ahead and stay here to save around $30 from places around. Otherwise stay at the hampton inn nearby, or the hotels along hegenberger.

Conclusion you get what you pay for, and suffer for what you don't.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America- Oakland- Alameda Airport. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Whitefish, Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Really very attractive on the outside, but surprising that it could be so worn out inside. Somehow the mattress made a huge amount of noise every time I turned over -- not even sure how that can happen! The carpet was very, very worn. The sofa bed was really awful. The bathroom and kitchen were clean. Towels were just a step above Motel 6 quality. At $65 on Hotwire we probably got what we paid for. Hallway smelled like smoke but room did not.

Room Tip: There may not be a good room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the beds in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen mattresses that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences. I was very pleased to see that you found your suite clean and free of any offensive smells.

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda Airport? Share your experiences!