“Good Food Awesome Abiance” 5 of 5 stars

(510) 522-1300
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Speisekammer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 192 Restaurants in Alameda
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Park St.
Transit: A.C. Transit, Park & Lincoln
Lakewood, Colorado
“Good Food Awesome Abiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went here on a Thursday night with friends for dinner. I was looking for some German food and ambiance, and was not disappointed.

They had a nice selection of German beers to choose from, served by a very friendly bartender at the bar. When my friends arrived we moved outside for dinner. For appetizers we got the half order of Reibekuchen and the Kleine Nürnberger Bratwürstchen. The Nürnberger Bratwürstchen were out of this world delicious. A nice mild spice that was complimented nicely with the sauerkraut.

For dinner I had the Sauerbraten and my friends both had the Jägerschnitzel. The food was cooked to perfection and delicious. The Sauerbraten was fall-apart tender with a not-too-sauer flavor. It was complimented nicely with the Spätzle and red cabbage. I also tried my friends Jägerschnitzel which was cooked perfect, not too dry, and had a very nice sauce with it.

The best part of our night started after dinner when we moved inside as it was getting chilly outside. They had a small three piece band (drums, bass, and clarinet) that was playing some awesome music. The place filled up and it had a great neighborhood feel to it and we were included as part of the group. To top the night off my friend and I took a stab at their 2.5L Boot. Not for the feint of heart, this is a lot of beer! After being told the ground rules ($100 if we break the boot and verification that we weren't driving) we spent the next 45 minutes pounding the boot listening to music. What a blast!

The only downside to the place was the parking. Took us about 15 minutes and 4 blocks away to find a spot.

Definitely recommend this spot, especially if they have a band.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Leandro, California
“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Finally had brunch on Sunday at Speisekammer and the food is pretty good. I am not a huge fan of German cuisine, but the Farmer's Omelet was excellent as was the little salad I had with it. Huge, tall glass of Trumer's Pilsner was a good compliment.

• Visited April 2013
Midlothian, Virginia
“Great German Food in a Friendly Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

During a recent trip to Alameda I had the chance to dine at here twice. The first time was just my business partner and I and we enjoyed it so much that we booked a table for 8 the following Saturday night. When we arrived there was a line outside and they were serving mugs of beer to parties waiting for tables, but our table was immediately available. The place was packed, there was live jazz, and big fire going in the back room. The German and local beer choices were excellent and served quickly. Some of us had the grilled fleisheplatte - lots of different sausages over sauerkraut, everyone was extremely pleased. We finished with the apple strudel. If you enjoy German cuisine don’t miss this comfortable restaurant.

• Visited March 2013
Redwood City, California
“Beautiful day for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife, son, and I sat out on the terrace and enjoyed a mix of dishes. The smoked trout was excellent as was the farmers omlette. The kasespatsle was a little soupy, but tasty. Good selection of beer. A great time.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Great Family Style German Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This restaurant serves really good German Food. They have weiner schnitzel (veal or pork), sausages, sauerbratten, wild boar, roast suckling pig and an entire list of ever more German specialties. They all are excellent.

We had a seafood starter which had warm shrimp, herring, gravalax and etc... which was very good. the fish was fresh and well prepared. Dark bread in basket was good but only tiny strips of it and rolls were not great.

potato pancakes a bit greasy but excellent.

We also had their mushroom soup which was just wonderful. It had bits of texture and was very flavorful.

The vegetables served are stark and boring they have vegetables like salad (carrot salad, beets. red cabbage, etc. which are nothing great. The vegetables with meals are carrots, brocoli, beets, boiled potatoes, etc.. and I forget what else as they are unmemorable.. Most are boiled and just boring and tasteless. I am disppointed that they don't serve creamed spinach as I think that goes well with schnitzel. and at least would have some flavor.

You go to Speisekammer for the meats, not the vegetables. If you are a vegetarian and want very bland vegies, you would be okay. Otherwise you would not be happy.

their desserts are warm chocolate cake which was adequate but not great. They serve Black Forest which I didn't try and also ice creams which were good.

Service was very, very friendy and very, very slow and we got stuck in the back room which is darkish and kind of feels like a back room they open up when busy. It does have a fireplace but it could use some "life" added to it.

Beer list was incredible. Wine list was short and just okay; not great.

I would go here for the meats, fish appetizer and beer.

I would tell you to pack your own to go box as we got ours back when we left and when i got home opened it to find part of someone else's meal in it which I tossed.

• Visited February 2013