“Disappointing at every opportunity” 3 of 5 stars

Marina Village Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1151 Pacific Marina, Alameda, CA 94501   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Tucson, Arizona
“Disappointing at every opportunity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The Marina Village Inn is close to the company I work for and was the 'go to' hotel back in the 1990s but has fallen out of favor with my company. Normally most of the people who visit Alameda from my company go to the Hawthorne Suites, which isn't very good either, but it was full so I took a chance on the Marina Village Inn for the first time in about 10 years.
I arrived late and the lady at the front desk was on the phone. Nobody else was in the lobby. I stood there for 5 minutes while she talked on the phone right in front of me. She barely looked up or acknowledged that I was there.
The room was dark and the amenities were out of date. The bed was at least comfortable.
Bathroom was below average. Toiletries were below average and smelled cheap.
The free breakfast looked like someone stopped at the gas station on the way in and grabbed a bunch of the pastries sold by Circle K.
There are not a lot of great hotels in Alameda. This place could be sold out every night if it were better than the Hawthorne Inn. That isn't setting the bar very high! Someone should wait till this place goes under then spend a few bucks bringing it up to business travel standards and they would have all my companies business.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Lemoore, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel was a little out of the way but an affordable option for a family visiting San Francisco. The website is very misleading. It says "Deluxe 2 Bedroom Suite". When you open the description of the room, it says 2 room. When we got to our room it was a 1 bedroom with a king size bed and a living room area. There was a very small sofa that folded out. We went back to the desk to let them know we had requested the 2 bedroom suite and they told us it was a 2 ROOM suite not bedroom. If we wanted a room with 2 bedrooms it would be 2 suites connected by a door but that would be an extra 120.00 a night. 294 a night wasnt going to work for us so they gave us a "discount" on two roll away beds. 88.00 for 4 nights that had to be paid up front. We had to move the furniture but we made it work. The couch pull out bed was maybe a full not a queen as advertised. The room had a tiny bathroom and when we moved the furniture to make room for the roll away beds it was pretty clear it hadnt been vacuumed under there for quite awhile. There were bits under the cushions on the couches and chairs too.
The first night we requested more towels as there were only 2 in the room (advertised for 4 people) and we were told that they were out of bath towels but we were welcome to use hand towels. Each day we had to go request towels so we could all shower. The room was not cleaned well while we were out.
The Continental Breakfast left much to be desired. You had your choice of bagels, English muffins, pre packaged bear claws or a packet of oatmeal. I had to search for utensils and cups, and no flavored creamer.
Overall, this was a decent place to stay. If there had been 3 of us we would have been much more comfortable but still much cheaper then staying in the city. It was about 20 minutes across the bridge and the neighborhood seemed nice and safe. The pool was large and looked clean it was just too cold do use it on our trip.

Room Tip: Be sure to pay attention to what kind of room you need. If you are needing a 2 bedroom you have to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Granada Hills, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I booked this hotel through Travelocity’s Secret Hotels, which is like Hotwire so I didn’t know what hotel I was getting until I finished booking it. I looked on Tripadvisor and was wary based on the mediocre reviews, however I was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is located in an out-of-the-way area next to the marina but it’s also close to the Webster and Posey Tubes to take you into Oakland. I was attending a conference in downtown Oakland and it only took a few minutes to get there. I should point out that I paid 1/3 what I would have at the conference hotel…

Checkin was easy and the place is small so I was able to park within a few feet of the building. I had a second floor room which was quiet and well-maintained. It had all the amenities one would expect—fridge and microwave, coffee maker, and free wireless. Because it’s right on the water, it was very quiet in the morning. Breakfast was meager—english muffins, bagels, and prefab danishes. My one suggestion is that the carpet in the rooms and hallway could really stand a good cleaning.

For the price I think I got a very good deal and I would likely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
San Jose, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Well, I've never reviewed a hotel before, but I'm sorry, but this was the worst place I have ever stayed. The staff is nice but they have no say whatsoever. If there is a problem, you have to speak with the very elusive manager. I came in on a Wednesday night. It was unusually hot for the bay area. I was informed there was no AC and no other room to give me. They wouldn't even upgrade me without approval. Luckily, the hotel is on an estuary and the temp got low enough that I could sleep with a small fan.

The next day they moved me to a different room. The first night seemed OK, but during the evening of the 2nd night, I noticed some sores on my right shoulder. I figured it was a spider bite. I went to sleep and kept waking up, but thought it must be normal sleeplessness when not sleeping in ones bed. Around 3 or 4, I got out of bed and went into the bathroom. Two bed bugs fell off my shirt into the sink. My arms were covered with red welts. There were some on my neck, face and lets as well. All told, I think there were over 120 bites.

I immediately paced my bags and went downstairs. I live in San Jose, so decided to get the heck out of dodge.

I called the hotel twice because I thought I might have left some items in the room. I was assured each time, I would receive a call back. I never heard from them.

I wouldn't stat here if I were you.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Clovis, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Our stay at the Marina Hotel was the worst stay ever. Booked our room through hotelplusportal.com. Booked a room for 4 people with 2 beds. When we arrived our reservation only showed 1 person for 1 bed. They found an alternative room, 1 king and a sofa pull-out. The pull-out was the size of a love seat or a little bigger then a twin bed. Not large enough to sleep 2. So one person had to sleep on the dirty floor. We arrived at night and there were no lights in the parking area or signs indicating where this hotel was located. We had to drive around several minutes before locating it. The room itself had dirty carpet, stains on the couch and cheap thin towels. The shower hot water wouldn’t shut off. The knob was striped. We called for maintenance but they left for the night at 4:30pm. We were instructed by the front desk person to let the water run. Barely getting any sleep cause of the running water, around 4:30am saw that the tub was about to over flow. Sometime during the night the drain plug handle broke and closed the drain. Continental breakfast had a poor selection of bagels and Costco Danishes. They had a brown liquid that they tried to pass as coffee. There are no windows that can be opened to let fresh air in. You would have to leave the front door open to let fresh air in or turn on the swamp cooler. Over priced for an old, run down motel. We will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Bumped out of our original reservation at another hotel, we stumbled across this gem only 2 days before our trip. Located right on the bay in Alameda, CA it was not only close to the family we were visiting in Alameda, but just a short jaunt into San Fran for all our sight-seeing activities. Each room had a beautiful deck only 20 feet from the marina, with views to die for.

But that's about the extent of our good things to say. Although the room was clean it was quite run down, desperately in need of a good paint job and new carpeting. The deck I spoke of had only one chair so my husband and I had to take turns enjoying the view. There was basically no cold water in the shower (just a trickle), so we were forced to have very brief showers with little water pressure. Even though the housekeeping staff saw the two of us coming and going, we were left only one washcloth and one hand towel daily (until we finally left them a note to leave two). Plus, the breakfasts were horrible. The first day we showed up at 7:30am (breakfast was from 6-9) and they were out of almost everything and the juice machine was broken. Although the other days they had more food, it was just the basics--grocery store bagels, stale cereal and bad coffee.

In spite of all the bad things, I'd be open to staying there again just for the views and convenient location. As long as you don't have to spend much time in the room, it was OK.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Reno, NV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed for three nights in April for a medical appointment in Oakland. Not really located near anything to walk to. However a short drive will find some places to eat. My only real complaint was my room reeked of vomit. I stayed the week after Spring break so draw your own conclusions. I brought the smell to management's attention and all they did was spray a little air freshener. They said I couldn't switch rooms because they were full. I stayed out of the room as much as possible and bought scented candles to burn at night. Not a great experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Marina Village Inn? Share your experiences!