“Waterfront hotel on the Oakland Estuary” 3 of 5 stars

Marina Village Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1151 Pacific Marina, Alameda, CA 94501   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Ventura, California
“Waterfront hotel on the Oakland Estuary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Waterfront rooms have nice balconies overlooking the marina and the Oakland Estuary. Nice quiet location, with lots of free parking. Continental breakfast available from 6 am, Wifi in the rooms and HBO. The pool will be nice in warm weather.

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms are worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Felton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I wanted a motel close to the Forbidden Island bar and this is a perfect location. We got a great rate about $54 for a Sunday night. The room is average. No frills here folks. I would have liked a water view but you can't really ask for much at that price.
I never got to check out the continental breakfast but from previous reviews I don't think I missed much. Parking was fine and I felt that my car was safe at the location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

A good and decent place to stay on a budget travel. Come on this is not a 5 star hotel, but its well maintained and the service was good. The continental breakfast did not have many varieties to offer and WiFi was little spotty at times (that's where i was little disappointed). But other than that, rooms were good enough. Will definitely come back here and recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Blairsville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel has deteriorated in the last five years or so. Room service is uneven with lack of room-coffee and other perks missing on some days. The bathroom sink is cramped, there is no seperate heat in the bathroom for your shower, furnishings are worn but fairly clean, morning "breakfast" was much better in the past and now the coffee is weak, orange juice is watered down, bagels are bagels in looks only, coffee-mate was missing many days with only powdered milk available, tables in the dining area are cheap and wobbly and the "feel" of the whole place is tired. However, the views are fantastic, the room-heater works and the staff tries hard. Our bathroom vent did not work on our first day there and, once reported, was fixed almost immediately. With all my complaints, I would probably stay there again due to the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the marina on the ground floor and buy your own breakfast somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I feel like regulars here this past month, due to our frequent business trips made to Alameda around the holiday season :D. This hotel is a hidden gem (I hesitated to write a review for fear of it being "found out" and booked when we need it ;D). Although an older hotel, you will not find a cleaner, more comfortable, safe hotel on the island for a more affordable rate. What really keeps us coming back are the staff members. From Jenney @ the front desk (SUPER friendly, helpful, and personable), to the housekeeping staff, they really go above and beyond to make you feel as comfortable as possible...which makes all the difference when you're away from home :). Thank you guys! Very worth the stay :).

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We came down from Seattle with my boyfriend and the staff were really nice and helpful, but Jenny was exceptional. She made our stay so easy and less stressful. She was very sweet and treated us like she's known us forever, and me and my boyfriend can't thank her enough. We will definitely come stay at the Marina, the next time we come God willing. I give Jenny 100 stars for the best hotel experience. Thank you!!! We will definitely recommend our friends and family to the Marina..

Marshal & Manny

• Stayed October 2012
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The people that work here were plenty helpful and friendly - so that's the upside. Other than that, I really didn't find very many redeeming qualities... perhaps price, it is or can be one of the more affordable hotels in the area.

When we first checked in, the person behind the desk confirmed that I had reserved a King sized room... hands me my keys and off I go to find the room. When I open the door, it's obvious that it's not a king sized bed - it MIGHT have been a queen, but in any case it was too small for our needs, so I called back down to the front desk. To their credit, he did make the change for us, w/o hesitation or any arguing, and we might have even scored an 'upgraded' room too.

We get the keys to the 2nd room, and when we walk in, the first thing I smell is something between mold and rancid sheets - really really gross! I didn't want to bother changing rooms yet again, so we just stripped off the cover to the bed, and the smell wasn't as strong.

Breakfast is nothing to write home about - your basic vending machines Apple or OJ, some pre-packaged Costco like danishes or unexciting bagels/toast or basic cereal.

I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I absolutely had to. The rooms are in bad need of fixing as opposed to just patching - the patching that's been done just makes things look worse.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marina Village Inn? Share your experiences!