“great views, so-so rooms” 2 of 5 stars

Marina Village Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1151 Pacific Marina, Alameda, CA 94501   |
Ranked #7 of 8 hotels in Alameda
Blairsville, Georgia
“great views, so-so rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel has deteriorated in the last five years or so. Room service is uneven with lack of room-coffee and other perks missing on some days. The bathroom sink is cramped, there is no seperate heat in the bathroom for your shower, furnishings are worn but fairly clean, morning "breakfast" was much better in the past and now the coffee is weak, orange juice is watered down, bagels are bagels in looks only, coffee-mate was missing many days with only powdered milk available, tables in the dining area are cheap and wobbly and the "feel" of the whole place is tired. However, the views are fantastic, the room-heater works and the staff tries hard. Our bathroom vent did not work on our first day there and, once reported, was fixed almost immediately. With all my complaints, I would probably stay there again due to the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the marina on the ground floor and buy your own breakfast somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I feel like regulars here this past month, due to our frequent business trips made to Alameda around the holiday season :D. This hotel is a hidden gem (I hesitated to write a review for fear of it being "found out" and booked when we need it ;D). Although an older hotel, you will not find a cleaner, more comfortable, safe hotel on the island for a more affordable rate. What really keeps us coming back are the staff members. From Jenney @ the front desk (SUPER friendly, helpful, and personable), to the housekeeping staff, they really go above and beyond to make you feel as comfortable as possible...which makes all the difference when you're away from home :). Thank you guys! Very worth the stay :).

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We came down from Seattle with my boyfriend and the staff were really nice and helpful, but Jenny was exceptional. She made our stay so easy and less stressful. She was very sweet and treated us like she's known us forever, and me and my boyfriend can't thank her enough. We will definitely come stay at the Marina, the next time we come God willing. I give Jenny 100 stars for the best hotel experience. Thank you!!! We will definitely recommend our friends and family to the Marina..

Marshal & Manny

• Stayed October 2012
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The people that work here were plenty helpful and friendly - so that's the upside. Other than that, I really didn't find very many redeeming qualities... perhaps price, it is or can be one of the more affordable hotels in the area.

When we first checked in, the person behind the desk confirmed that I had reserved a King sized room... hands me my keys and off I go to find the room. When I open the door, it's obvious that it's not a king sized bed - it MIGHT have been a queen, but in any case it was too small for our needs, so I called back down to the front desk. To their credit, he did make the change for us, w/o hesitation or any arguing, and we might have even scored an 'upgraded' room too.

We get the keys to the 2nd room, and when we walk in, the first thing I smell is something between mold and rancid sheets - really really gross! I didn't want to bother changing rooms yet again, so we just stripped off the cover to the bed, and the smell wasn't as strong.

Breakfast is nothing to write home about - your basic vending machines Apple or OJ, some pre-packaged Costco like danishes or unexciting bagels/toast or basic cereal.

I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I absolutely had to. The rooms are in bad need of fixing as opposed to just patching - the patching that's been done just makes things look worse.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

My first night at the marina inn I stayed in one of their amazing water rooms. It was very spacious, clean, and comfortable. I relaxed on the back patio (which was nearly on the harbor),enjoyed some complimentary hot chocolate, and slipped into relaxation. My last few visits have been in the standard rooms and they have been equally enjoyabe; there may not be a dead on ocean view but all the rooms have patios with pleasant views. Ive stayed at the inn once a week for about a month now and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in the area. The staff is friendly and inviting, The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the view is something to take in:) I highly reccomend staying here. I'm in alameda for some rather unpleasant business, and when I check in to the inn it's an instant comfort.

• Stayed October 2012
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I just got lucky finding this inn. I was trying to get a reservation at Marina Inn San Leandro but they were booked. I got rerouted to other hotel choices and Marina Village Inn came up. It looked OK for a last minute decision. I was pleased when I arrived. It being right on the water was great and the swimming pool to boot! But the reason I'll be back is because of Jenny. She is the girl who checked us in. Talk about a gem! I had planned on paying cash but a $100 deposit is required when doing so. Not only did Jenny suggest I pay with a credit card to avoid using most of my cash, she also printed out directions of the location of the 7-11 who carried the reload pak for my prepaid Visa and held the last room while I went through all of these changes. If it weren't for her amazing disposition and understanding, we would have never had the pleasure of staying at this little treasure of an inn. THANK YOU JENNY! You are the reason I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

WARNING! There was so much problem with this hotel. First of all, our toilet in the room didn't work. And The staff said that all rooms were taken, so they told us to use the toilet in the lobby. I asked them if they just could have called a plumber Who could fix the problem in 2 minutes. But the very impolite staff said that they only could try to email their manager. One a clock in the morning we finally got a new room. Thats not OK. No working Internet in our room as well. Worst of all my 250 hotels I ever been to around The world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Marina Village Inn? Share your experiences!