“I'll Be Back” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in Alameda
Orem, Utah
“I'll Be Back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

It could have been better but overall I liked it. The front desk staff is GREAT! I got here a bit early and asked for a room with a view of the water. She told me she wasn't sure if she had any kind of a room ready. As it turned out a room was ready and I had a great view of the boat harbor. After I had been in the room for 15 minutes the front desk clerk called me and asked if everything was OK. I had a question about the internet service which she answered for me. I knew they didn't furnish shampoo, lotion, etc. but I told her I was surprised there was no bar soap in the room. She told me if I would come back down she'd give me some. For $3 a day they will "refresh" the room. Replace the used towels, make the bed and empty the trash which I took advantage of as the price seemed to be right. The first day that's what I got. Nothing more, nothing less. The next day was much better as I also got replacement soap and a new package of coffee :) If you're not familiar with this area you will need a GPS or nav on your phone to find it. I wasn't familiar with the "tubes" in this area but I know them now. Free WiFi, nice TV. I had what I needed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that the staff was great and you were able to check in early with a water view.

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Alameda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the last 4 years. Didn't impress me at first, but, in the last year or so it seems to be steadily improving. It's not a luxury hotel, but a place to stay that's
clean and safe, for working people and folks who want to check in with no hassles. The staff are first rate and helpful, and the general manager (Kerri) gets it done!

Room Tip: Marina side first or third floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that we have been improving our hotel and you feel it is clean and safe.

Alameda, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We are locals, and in fact, live in the marina next door to this hotel. We needed to stay in a hotel near our boat for a couple of nights and thought this might be a more homey option than the other two hotels also near by. Not a good move. We were so disappointed in our stay we left after only one night. Check-in took much longer than it should, not sure why. The room was just a normal size hotel room, with a minimal kitchen in it. It didn't even have a closet - surprsing, if in fact folks are supposed to stay for awhile. We thought we would stay in and cook, but then had problems with the microwave. Even switching out the unit didn't work - turned out the plug was not working, so we moved the microwave to the bathroom. There was only one fork - not great for two people. What was supposed to be a relaxing time was turning stressful since nothing was quite right. The "breakfast" in the morning was a joke. No juice, no yogurt, nothing but coffee, sweet rolls wrapped in plastic and some Granola bars. The hallway smelled - the trash pick up room was near the lobby, and I guess it was trash day. We were prepared for the fact that they do not have amenities in these types of hotels, but there was not even a box of kleenex! To add insult to injury, the price was twice as high as we would have paid for the Marina Village Inn down the road (also has microwave and fridge, but no stove), and 30% more than the Hawthorn Suites also nearby. Both are far better alterntives than this property.

Room Tip: Find another hotel nearby - there are two good choices: the Marina Village Inn and the Hawthorn Suit...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Between the long check-in, the kitchen outlet not working, and not enough utensils, I can understand how disappointing that can be and I apologize.

In response to your feedback, I am following up with my staff to insure everything is in working order and all items are in the room before checking in. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your feedback so we can improve.

I hope that you will contact me directly, at oaa@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in need of a night away from the marina.
Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night in early November, 2012. The housekeeping of the unit can best be summed up in one word, "lazy". The sheets looked clean and the tub washed down but I don't think the surfaces of the lamps, tv, windows, carpet, chairs, sofa, etc. had been cleaned any time in the past decade. I can deal with outdated decorating as long as everything is clean, but oily, fuzzy dirt on every lamp and a toilet ring all chipped and bubbled speaks volumes of the general attitude of the people responsible for the property. The window was open when we first checked in and the room was freezing. It didn't take long after closing the window to know why it had been opened in the first place. What was that nasty, funky smell? We spent the night killing mosquitos and couldn't wait to get out of there early the following morning, praying our car would still be where we had left it in the parking lot. After returning home my husband communicated with the company via their website. No, we are definitely NOT interested in a future comp. Honestly, a refund would be much more fitting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The room that you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am meeting with my housekeeping and maintenance staff to address all of the issues that you mentioned. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at oaa@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Dallas, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here on a business trip. Was highly unimpressed (people who don't live near the water or marina, like I do, may let the marina cloud their thoughts and give this place a better rating than it deserves). It has no restaurant, no lounge, no place to hang out and relax, except outside, and even that is minimal at best. The carpets are dirty (walk in socks in your room or bring your slippers), no hangars for your clothes... well... maybe two or three at most, so if you are on an EXTENDED STAY and want to hang your clothes, forget it.

No ice maker on site, except for the one plastic tray they give you in your freezer of the little refrigerator. The Televisions are small, and if the neighbor turns his on, you'll every laugh track and joke or siren on thye show they watch, which is, come to think of it, preferable to the sound of the person next door talking, which you'll hear because they left insulation out between the walls.

The bed was uncomfortable the pillows tiny. No normal bath supplies, and what you get is minimal in the way of towels, etc.. (as explained to me by the staff, "well... this IS an extended stay hotel and most guests bring their own supplies".)

All-in-all it feels like you are not somewhere where you are appreciated, but rather, you are there and they are there and you are a nuisance and they are there to keep you from complaining too much. I mean, c'mon, they don't even have a public restroom available downstairs. I had someone come to pick me up who needed to go, and there was no fricking restroom?

Very low class place to stay. Avoid at all costs. Just don't stay in Alameda.

Room Tip: If you decide that someone who is a two-million mile traveler on American Airlines doesn't know...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I wanted to first apologize that you were not happy with our facility and the amenities that we offer and I am so disappointed that you felt like you were a nuisance. Please accept my sincere apology. In response to your feedback, I am following up with my staff for better training. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at oaa@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 20 nights, as I was relocating from the Southbay area. The location is great if your commute will be anywhere between the East Bay area, NO TRAFFIC hassles since traffic goes the opposite way. Alameda is a safe and quiet town, here you will find everything you need. The hotel is locate right next to the Marina, you can go out at night and take a nice relaxing walk after a harsh day.
Quick access to the Posey Tube and to Jack London Square (Amtrak).
The service has been swell and the accommodations fitted well to my needs, very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for taking time to write such an informative review. I'm so pleased to hear that you stayed with us while relocating and that the location was so convenient for you. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I expected less and was very impressed. The location is great right near the Posey tube. Very convenient to the island and things off island. Very pleasant local stores are right near by. Safe location and even picturesque. Great area to run in lots of trails The rooms are nicely appointed. Very good size. Excellent beds and excellent desks. They even have free breakfast items in the morning. The only issue is they would not give me the per deuim rate. But it a very nice hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a great review. It's great to hear that you felt safe and that we have excellent beds. I apologize that the per deim rate was not available. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda? Share your experiences!