“Beautiful Waterfront View” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 hotels in Alameda
Richmond, Canada
“Beautiful Waterfront View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Located in a newly redeveloped part of Alameda consisting of mostly Commercial/Office properties kept this location to be a quiet retreat. Quick easy access to Oakland (Chinatown/Central) and to San Francisco via the Bay Bridge. Booked this room thru Hotwire and got a really fabulous deal. But if you booked it any other way the hotel would not live up to the price. Had previously read other reviews about this location housing the homeless. Couldn't quite believe it at the time...but I saw with my own eyes some of the occupants did appear to be on social assistance. Keeping this in mind, when you walk thru the corridors you notice all kinds of odors from people's cooking. Ventilation needs improvement.
Had booked and paid for this room one month prior to stay. Called up the hotel to request for NON smoking room. Desk clerk assured me shouldn't be a problem since it was one month in advance they could accommodate the request. When upon check-in I was told all NON smoking rooms were taken because there was an unexpected extended stay from a large group that was not going to be checking out...... ???? Things were starting to add up in my mind.
Also for the asking rate this does not include daily housekeeping service. This could be the determining factor for booking with this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left have the waterfront views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ali R, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experiences with us. The incidents you encountered, such as not having your nonsmoking room available upon arrival, to having witnessed occupants appear to be on social assistance to enduring all kinds of odors from guests cooking are not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I hope that you will contact me directly, at arahimi@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Santa Barbara CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here because it is the only dog-friendly hotel on the island but were pleasantly surprised at how clean it was and comfortable the bed & pillows were. A nice 4th (top) floor view of the marina, plenty of nearby parking. The breakfast in the lobby is as minimal as it gets, oatmeal, coffee & tea & a basket with oranges in it. No tables, you're expected to take it back to your room table but it was adequate. My only complaint was the noisy refrigerator that didn't ever get cold. I unplugged it the second night. Nice walk along the waterfront past the cute houseboats. We'd stay here again as long as the price stays reasonable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your stay. Of course, I was disheartened to read that the refrigerator in your room was loud enough to have you turn it off. For that I am truly sorry. Rest assured that I have already taken appropriate action to repair it.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Very good hotel, I got excellet rate from third party agency ( Hotwire ) . Nice area , my recomendation is to have a car, if you want to go to SFO you cant take the Bart in 12th-Oakland to SFO , ferry or car. Hotel has small kitchen if yo want to cook. Very nice rooms , medium size but confi !!

• Stayed August 2012
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at our hotel.  We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month.  It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Management: Kerri Keith (mgr)and Anthony De Los Santos (assistant mgr) are great. See them if you have a problem. I'd go back again. The restaurants in the area are vary good. Try the pasta pelican- the walk is nice to look at.

• Stayed July 2012
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about our hotel and the management staff, Kerri and Anthony. Our team is committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors; dedicated to getting to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays.

So happy to hear that you enjoyed the Pasta Pelican near our hotel is is one of my favorites as well as the view of Jack London Square and the waterway while dining. We hope you will join us again and revisit the views once again!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

On this particular trip, this was the hotel I was least sure of from the reviews...but it was only a short cab ride from Oakland airport after a long flight arriving late at night. It turned out to be one of our best bookings!
It is very nicely situated on the marina, with a coastal pathway leading to a quirky houseboat village with a restaurant at the end - 5 mins walk away. It is almost opposite the Posey tunnel leading directly into Chinatown area of Oakland or onto the freeway. Without a car its either a 20-25 minute walk into the town, or the number 31 bus stops opposite the hotel for those who don't like walking. There is a ferry into San Francisco from Jack London Square too.
Our room was spotlessly clean, with a very comfortable bed and pillows. It looked as though the carpets and place have been recently redecorated. For the rate we paid I wasn't expecting a swimming pool, hairdryer, or complimentary toiletries. The complimentary breakfast was an unexpected bonus - nice coffee/tea, fresh fruit, muffins, a choice of different packets of porridge. Soap is provided, and we had a plentiful amount of towels for a double room. The kitchen has basic equipment to prepare simple meals (from the Fri eve or Sun morn Farmers Market held 25 mins walk away in Jack London Square?).
Piping hot water, good shower, quiet area, efficient & friendly staff at the front desk - we'll definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Any rooms ending with 07 up to 17 are on the river side (very quiet) and away from the car park. We...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of our hotel and staff. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Ashland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I got this room at a sale price and at a lower rate, it's o.k. Very basic furnishings, no toiletries. The location requires that you have a car. It's off in a corner of Alameda. There is a kitchenette and a market nearby, so if cooking for yourself is a high priority, you'll like that convenience. No pool. It is close to one of the Alameda tunnels to Oakland, so it's a fast trip to make freeway connections. This hotel has absolutely no personality. It's big plus is that there's a lovely walking path along the marina and it is quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the water side.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We offer basic amenities in each of our guest rooms; however, this does not include items like shampoo, lotions, shower caps, etc. Instead, our hotel does have a limited supply of sundries at the front desk, and we happily dispense them free of charge upon request. Operating in this way allows us to continue to provide you our great rooms at exceptional rates.

I take seriously your concern, however, and assure you that we work very hard to explain exactly what we offer to our guests before they arrive. I am, of course, very sorry that we were unable to make our offerings more clear to you before you checked in, and hope that you will keep our hotel in mind when your future needs are for an accommodation like ours.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I had high hopes from the website. The pictures made it look like a nice place to stay. When I booked on the website I requested a non-smoking room and when we arrived we were given the complete opposite. It reeked of cigarettes! Not only that, there were smudges and little hairs on the sheets. I complained to the front desk and they gave us a fresh set of sheets and sprayed the room. They didn't have any non-smoking rooms available. I had to speak to the manager about getting a discounted rate, but I felt this should have been offered at the very least. The staff did make amends in the end and gave us a non-smoking room for the 2nd night and a discounted rate, however it was too little too late. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it. If you do decide to stay here I suggest calling ahead to make sure they give you the type of room you want.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Julia,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't satisfactory. I am truly sorry.

Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent an unacceptable situation like yours from occurring. All rooms are regularly cleaned and disinfected upon a guest's checkout as well as during applicable periods of the stay, then inspected by a manager who determines if it meets our quality standards. It is clear that we did not uphold our standards.

We will use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I can assure you that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda? Share your experiences!