“Clean, comfortable, quiet, and great staff.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #6 of 8 hotels in Alameda
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Clean, comfortable, quiet, and great staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

On this particular trip, this was the hotel I was least sure of from the reviews...but it was only a short cab ride from Oakland airport after a long flight arriving late at night. It turned out to be one of our best bookings!
It is very nicely situated on the marina, with a coastal pathway leading to a quirky houseboat village with a restaurant at the end - 5 mins walk away. It is almost opposite the Posey tunnel leading directly into Chinatown area of Oakland or onto the freeway. Without a car its either a 20-25 minute walk into the town, or the number 31 bus stops opposite the hotel for those who don't like walking. There is a ferry into San Francisco from Jack London Square too.
Our room was spotlessly clean, with a very comfortable bed and pillows. It looked as though the carpets and place have been recently redecorated. For the rate we paid I wasn't expecting a swimming pool, hairdryer, or complimentary toiletries. The complimentary breakfast was an unexpected bonus - nice coffee/tea, fresh fruit, muffins, a choice of different packets of porridge. Soap is provided, and we had a plentiful amount of towels for a double room. The kitchen has basic equipment to prepare simple meals (from the Fri eve or Sun morn Farmers Market held 25 mins walk away in Jack London Square?).
Piping hot water, good shower, quiet area, efficient & friendly staff at the front desk - we'll definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Any rooms ending with 07 up to 17 are on the river side (very quiet) and away from the car park. We...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of our hotel and staff. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Ashland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I got this room at a sale price and at a lower rate, it's o.k. Very basic furnishings, no toiletries. The location requires that you have a car. It's off in a corner of Alameda. There is a kitchenette and a market nearby, so if cooking for yourself is a high priority, you'll like that convenience. No pool. It is close to one of the Alameda tunnels to Oakland, so it's a fast trip to make freeway connections. This hotel has absolutely no personality. It's big plus is that there's a lovely walking path along the marina and it is quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the water side.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We offer basic amenities in each of our guest rooms; however, this does not include items like shampoo, lotions, shower caps, etc. Instead, our hotel does have a limited supply of sundries at the front desk, and we happily dispense them free of charge upon request. Operating in this way allows us to continue to provide you our great rooms at exceptional rates.

I take seriously your concern, however, and assure you that we work very hard to explain exactly what we offer to our guests before they arrive. I am, of course, very sorry that we were unable to make our offerings more clear to you before you checked in, and hope that you will keep our hotel in mind when your future needs are for an accommodation like ours.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I had high hopes from the website. The pictures made it look like a nice place to stay. When I booked on the website I requested a non-smoking room and when we arrived we were given the complete opposite. It reeked of cigarettes! Not only that, there were smudges and little hairs on the sheets. I complained to the front desk and they gave us a fresh set of sheets and sprayed the room. They didn't have any non-smoking rooms available. I had to speak to the manager about getting a discounted rate, but I felt this should have been offered at the very least. The staff did make amends in the end and gave us a non-smoking room for the 2nd night and a discounted rate, however it was too little too late. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it. If you do decide to stay here I suggest calling ahead to make sure they give you the type of room you want.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear Julia,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't satisfactory. I am truly sorry.

Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent an unacceptable situation like yours from occurring. All rooms are regularly cleaned and disinfected upon a guest's checkout as well as during applicable periods of the stay, then inspected by a manager who determines if it meets our quality standards. It is clear that we did not uphold our standards.

We will use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I can assure you that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
newhall, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I had a wonderful experiance staying at this hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly. You have the options of enjoying your own home cooked meal in the kitchen that is provided, or simply a 5 minute walk to the resturant of your choice. The rooms are spacious with very comfortable beds and flat screen tv's with pleanty of channels to choose from. My best experiance was dealing with the manager Kerri Keith. She went the extra mile to provide a comfortable and safe enviroment to our family. I strongly recommend this hotel on your next visit to the bay!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Anthony - Thank you so very much for taking time to write such a glowing review about our hotel and to recognize Kerri, the General Manager. The entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of this company, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

Great little getaway! Our stay was comfortable, relaxing, wonderful.

• Stayed December 2011
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write about your experience at the Extended Stay America – Oakland Alameda Marina. Our hotel and team is committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours. I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your kind words, and we’d love to see you here again.
San Luis Obispo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Our stay was a bad experience from location to the surly front desk folks to the condition of the room to the freeway noise. The best news was that our car was still there in the morning.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

I truly understand your aggravation and the inconvenience you experienced. The circumstances you have detailed are, of course, unacceptable and highly regrettable. It is our goal to provide a pleasant and relaxing environment where our guests can feel at home when they’re away from home. And we recognize that in order to achieve that goal, we must provide outstanding service.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for business, not knowing what to expect it was shocking to find that this hotel is being subsidized by the government to accommodate homeless people. Which explains a lot for us. Also upon arriving into our room, the stinch of cigarette smoke was overwhelming. There was a plastic bag tied over the smoke alarm. We reported this immediately and was told they would take care of it. We were never moved nor did they take care of it. We suffered the smell for 5 days as there were no other hotels with vacancy do to a huge boat show and race taking place then. Let's not forget when the front desk woke us at 2am accidentally by calling the wrong room. Or the fighting going on that woke us only to find out there was no security in the hotel that late. The lobby is nice and being set in a marina is very nice but the feeling of being unsafe and overwhelming stinch was too much.

• Stayed April 2012
I recently received a copy of your review from your recent stay. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests. It is clear that we have failed in that mission. Your feedback will be used as a coaching moment with my staff to ensure continued improvement. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.) I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of hosting you in the future. Thank you again.

Been to Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda? Share your experiences!