“RAVE REVIEWS” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Ile-de-France, France
“RAVE REVIEWS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2006

As repeat guests of the Coral Reef Motel we were scared away by the bad reviews we read.
So .. .we reserved at Extended Stay Deluxe in Alameda instead, but were seriously disappointed!
Drove over a few blocks to check out the Coral Reef situation ourselves - and - WOW! The staff couldn't have been more accomodating. Absolutely bent over backwards to get us set up in what we were looking for. We've been here a week and they are unfailingly friendly and kind. We couldn't be more pleased with the envirnonment and the experience.
The room is impeccably clean, the beds are comfy, the amenities everything we needed. We've got a suite with a full kitchen - and everything for cooking & dining. The tastefully decorated suite has a separate bedroom, dining area & living area, patio and lovely garden view. Some of the rooms have lagoon view. Super! A pretty pool sits in the center of the property for sunny days. The prices are reasonable, the hotel conveniently located. You're steps from a shoreline walk along the San Francisco Bay, about 20 minutes drive from San Francisco itself and about 10 minutes from a BART train into The City if you don't want to drive.
Bottom line, we can't say enough good things - particularly if you're looking for an extended stay where you'd really like to feel "at home".

• Liked — Staff, location, suite facilities
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lake Tahoe, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2006

I stayed here previously in May of 2005 and loved this place so much, I booked two nights through Expedia.

Upon arrival, Thursday afternoon, 3:00 p.m., non-holiday weekend, I requested a quiet, secluded room for my daughter and I. The staff was extremely rude. Upon retrieving my reservation card which had Expedia/Hotels.com highlighted in bright-pink highlighter, the rude staff informed me that there was no "wiggle room" for my specific request, although the parking lot was empty and the hotel was quiet.

We were placed in a ground-floor suite that faced the parking lot. The suite had a noxious odor of mildew. The kitchen was bare! Nothing to use for cooking! The towels in the bathroom were streaked with oil and filthy! Upon request for new towels, staff brought us gray bathmats! There were no batteries in the T.V. remote. The bathtub in the bathroom was filthy. There was pubic hair behind the bathroom door.

"Continental breakfast" consisted of a box of donuts, a box of bagels, an orange juice machine, coffee, and four apples in a basket.

We stayed at this hotel for two days. We left our room on our second day to return to a filthy kitchen that housekeeping did not clean...dirty dishes, dirty utensils, stale coffee in the coffeemaker,
no refills for coffee for the following morning.

Half the lightbulbs in the "suite" were burned out so lighting was dim.

During the evening, the parking lot does not have ample parking for its quests so cars were parking up against our "suite" in the wee-hours of the morning. Cars were speeding up and down the parking lot, honking horns. The first night we were there, there were a couple of guys yelling at people in the adjacent apartments next store and making a lot of noise in the parking area of the hotel.

Do not stay at this hotel. Here's my assessment of the whole situation. Since I booked through Expedia/Hotels.com, I received a competitive price. Then I noticed when I checked into the hotel that my reservation card had Expedia/Hotels.com hightlighted in bright-pink highlighter which is a flag to the hotel desk staff to take notice of my reservation and place me in a dumpy part of the hotel.

Our "suite" appeared as if someone vacated it quickly to accomodate us pour souls that booked the room through Expedia. It was below standard expectation for what we paid and filthy.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

Visiting family in Alameda & have stayed here many times. New owners and its gone down hill, fast. Did not have the room I had reserved (never happened before), tried to double charge me for phone calls, shower did not drain, cracked toilet seat...musty room smell...I could go on.
But the worst part was that I was told I could move rooms by a really helpful (but powerless) employee - there was a room open that just needed to be cleaned. Owner/manager then claimed room was unavailable. Upon telling them we were going to leave, they suddenly found a room. Up until that point, the response from the manager was pretty much dead-pan - no, I'm sorry we did not book your reservation propertly -- no apology of any sort.
They will exisit for a while on former customers but once people return, they will know that the place has changed. My bottom line, go elsewhere even if you have to pay a little more.

Stayed June 2006
Northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

The hotel is OK and the location is good, but we had a bizarre experience. The room was represented as a "Queen Suite." When we opened to the door, the room was essentially a 1 bedroom apartment, with full living room and kitchen. However, the bedroom had only two "kiddie size" double beds.

We called the front desk and asked with the queen-size bed was, as advertised. We were told that the couch was a fold-out queen size bed! Needless to say, we skipped "the metal bar in the back" experience that the sofa bed would have provided and slept on the kiddie beds.

Beware of any representations of a "Queen Suite."

• Stayed June 2006
Carmichaels, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2006

I called and asked for a Lagoon suite, it was huge, larger than most apartments in the bay area, and had a nice view and patio to sit on the lagoon. BUT it's like living in the 1950's. It smelled very musty, they need open the windows or something, air the place out for god's sake. Want a nice shower? Be prepared for alternatively very hot scalding water and very cold freezing water. Also it took me 15 minutes to find my room since there aren't any signs indicating where to go? And I'm not directionally challenged. If it's hot, stay somewhere else, no air conditioning at this place. The TV was nice, flat screen, but half the channels didn't work.
I think for the value, it's not a bad choose, but don't expect anything modern.
Oh did I mention the front desk person was very friendly? She was sweet.

• Stayed July 2006
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2006

My daughter and I stayed for 5 nights at the Coral Reef Inn and Suites in Alameda California in April '06. We were visiting family in the area. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean, but very outdated. The blankets and sheets were clean and crisp, but the bed spread looked like it hadn't been changed in about 10 years. It was clean, but had cigarette burn holes and stains. The carpeting was old and stained. There are kitchenettes in the rooms which are stocked with the very bare necessities, but very clean. Rooms all have a large balcony. Although you could hear plumbing noise room to room, you could not hear voices or radio's/TV's. Our neighbors across the hall played loud music often and once the door of our room closed we couldn't hear a thing. Pool and grounds are clean and well kept. The hotel provides a buffet breakfast which was excellent. Fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea, OJ, etc. There is a small plaza across the street with restaurants, grocery stores, department store, bagel place and coffee house. Overall our stay was fine. I will probably return because of the proximity to family. Next time I would love to see some updating.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2004

Coral Reef Inn & Suites has one of the best price/quality ratios in the East Bay. It is quiet and clean, there is a modest free continental breakfast (coffee, juice, muffins, etc.), and all rooms have kitchenettes. On the down side, the one-bedroom suite in which I stayed during September 2004 was not very attractive. The living room had rather old furniture (late 1970s, nothing like what's on their Web site), and one could smell a lot of air freshener (perhaps to cover up someone's having smoked in the supposedly non-smoking unit). Also, being in Alameda just outside Oakland, you pretty much have to drive to go anywhere interesting (as opposed to staying in The City and walking or taking public transportation to the sights). Still, for 80 bucks per day (even less by the week or month), you can't go too far wrong.

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!