“Definitely not the Ritz!!” 2 of 5 stars

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Park Street, Alameda, CA 94501   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Ft Lauderdale, FL
“Definitely not the Ritz!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

I knew going in, site unseen, not to expect the classiest place but I have to say that some things still surprised me. When I got there at 1pm I knew I was early so I was happy to say the front desk girl said she would have a room for me right away. I asked, after reading other site reviews, just to be sure about the kitchenette in the room. I wanted to be sure that ALL rooms had them, as this was why I chose this hotel over some others. As my son in law, who was dropping me off, mentioned "she seemed alittle surprised by the fact you actually planned on USING the kitchen to cook!". She assured me that there would be a kitchen, but if I needed any pots and pans to actually COOK with, I could find them outside by the side of the pool in the communal cookwear area, as we now called it. Having just stayed 2 weeks earlier at a Residence Inn in NY, this was not quite what I would expect from "all rooms have kitchenettes". They neglect to say they really don't expect you to COOK. As I headed up to the 2nd floor it then hit me, with my 50lb suitcase, there is no elevator.! Next I got into my room, which was extremely large, I will say, to see said "kitchenette". The refrigerator was a small 3' x 2' (give or take) with a block of ice where the freezer(which was about the size of a TV dinner) would be and didn't actually close all the way. Next I checked out the bathroom, which was nice and clean, I am pleased to say, but for some reason they felt no reason to put in an extra roll of toilet paper(with no paper towels in that "kitchen" either, I don't know why I was surprised). The only real problem with the bathroom was the pull lever on the shower knob to switch the water from shower or bath. Once it went IN it didn't come back out, no grasp on the end-forturnately I was content with showers. The DO have basic cable, which still makes me wonder why the TV was fuzzy no matter what station you turned to and only about half the electric sockets actually worked as I went to recharge my various gadgets, etc. I cannot comment on the pool area since it was rather cold out and I had no time to really look around so while they advertise a lagoon view for some rooms, from my view of the road I cannot even tell where this supposed lagoon exists. Somewhere in the back, I suppose. Overall, I actually WOULD still stay there, in a pinch, but go in knowing I was only microwaving food, bringing my own paper plates and utensils, paper products, etc-but only because it was not very expensive. For a RELAXING, luxury, stay, not so much.

• Liked — the room was huge
  • Disliked — adveritses kitchenettes in all room but you actually can't use them for the most part
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

Went to my room, tried the key card & a man
opened the door suddenly. So scary!!!

If that wasn't bad enough, the front desk "manager" ---whose
qualifications as "manager" include
rudeness, aggression towards the guest--reacted
by calling me a liar!

If you have a death wish, stay here. Fortunately, I survived--by walking away!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

My family stayed five days at the Coral Reef and it was very nice.The rooms were extra big and always clean.The people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. It is very close to a nice shopping center with everything you could need. Very nice for price range. Would recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Large rooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 2 days with my big family.. We reserved 3 suites rooms from hotel web site & Travelocity. The rooms we got were so big, with kitchen, dining room, spacious living room with sofa bed, bedroom with TV & clean bathroom and they have big parking space too.. Firstly when we saw the rooms, we afraid that the staff give us the wrong room, but after we double check it, we were very pleasant. The room little bit old fashion, but clean & nice. The staffs are very kind and helpful. The location was also nice, near to shopping complex and others. Compare to the room size, location, and facilities, this hotel are have reasonable price for me.

• Liked — all
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boulder
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

Great price and great hotel. I booked my room through hotels.com and when i went there there was no reservation under my name. The front desk staff was so concerned that he personally contacted the hotels.com and accomodated me. The place is right by the bay and 24 hrs shopping complex across the street made my stay pleasant.

• Liked — spacious room
  • Disliked — little old property
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

August 8th 2008
We stayed at the Coral Reef Jun30th until August2cd, It was so hard to leave , the suite was like a condo , alot of space , fun kitchen , dinning room , sofa sleeper in the livingroom, bed room and a large bathroom and everything was so clean. I also had great dishes and cookware and a balcony to rest on , the lagoon had ducks that would visit, we truly enjoyed them. We were in walking distance to everything , that made things go great , we enjoyed shopping ,eating and long walks on the bay and at times we were content to sit around the property and talk to everyone. The Staff was the best , I had everything we needed at my fingertips, We were spoiled by the staff, We would like to Thank several and my Favorite Suneil and my other favorite Sanqesh (Kuhuna) and very precious and willing to help you Joyce , Patel in laudry and Havier the do it all... And most of all the housekeepers who work hard all day long . I would like to extend my Thanks to Paul the owner for all he has done to make this possible. I miss you all and hope to visit again soon , God Bless

Ina and Danielle Dearing girls from Va

• Liked — Updated,clean lots of parking friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I don't even know where to begin. They obviously have a nice show room because we were recommended this hotel by the couple who whose wedding we were in town for, and they said it was fine. Our 'suite" was filthy- greasy cushions on the couch, burn stains on the tub, blood spatter on the bedroom wall, and I've seen cleaner toilet seats in gas station restrooms. The doors were off the hinges on the bedroom closet, the pull out sofa bed was broken, and we found a crack pipe in the cupboard. My husband is a police officer for a large city, and wasn't given much respect when confronting the office staff. After six hours of waiting for a new room to be cleaned and after the office staff repeatedly hung up on the Travelocity representative, we got the heck out of there! We have never stayed in such an awful hotel!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!