“Not bad for a reasonable price” 3 of 5 stars

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Park Street, Alameda, CA 94501   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Alberta, Canada
“Not bad for a reasonable price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I originally booked a suite, but when we arrived the staff realized that the room we had been assigned had a non functioning pull-out couch, which we would need to use. So they offered us 2 options, another suite, or a room with 2 beds facing the water. We opted for the water-view, and were happy to find that the room was huge, and still had a small kitchenette. It is by no means a fancy place, but it was clean and comfortable. The main drawback was the location - on the first floor right by the stairs - NOISY. If you can, I would suggest asking for a 2nd floor room away from the stairs. It didn't disturb our sleep, but it might if you're a light sleeper. There is a small reception area for the continental breakfast, including an outdoor seating area. We did not use the pool.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We selected Coral Reef because our relatives live nearby. Unfortunately some lingering odour greeted us when we walked into the room.
Changed room and it is still the same. Had to sleep with sliding door open. Very pricey at approx $130 per night. Stairway, furnishings, beddings,carpet, bathroom fittings are outdated and dirty. I will rate this place a mere 1 star. Did not take advantage of so called breakfast. You just want to leave the vicinity quickly. Think the next time I will find a place to stay in Oakland. It's only a short drive to Alameda.

• Stayed July 2014
Yuma, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I had read many reviews good and bad and decided to chance it because the price was right. I am not a hotel snob. I regularly stay in 3 star, resonably priced hotels.I booked a 6 night stay, and prepaid, unfortunately. On the outside, things looked fine. Entering the room, was totally different. Filthy carpet, beds that looked like a 5 year old had made them, and a bathroom so gross, that I spent an hour trying to clean it myself. From disgusting stains on the headboards, to dirty handprints on walls, to black mold growing all over the walls in the bathroom. The second day, the "maid" took the dirty towels out of the room and did NOT replace them, and didnt even make the beds! I called the office and they said I would get new towels when the laundry was done in the afternoon! I asked about the room not being cleaned and was told it was only housekeepings job to take dirty towels and take trash out! What??! I could go on for days, but long story short, I was stuck there for 6 days, NEVER got clean sheets, had to steal clean towels of the cart, and was competely uncomfotable the entire week. DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!! RUN!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

After reading some of the reviews about this hotel I was beginning to worry about coming here, but I shouldn't have. Upon arrival, the hotel looks clean a well kept from the outside, the reception area modern and light and the receptionist very pleasant and helpful. Yes some of the communal areas could do with the carpets cleaning or replacing and yes the rooms are a little dated!! But this is a great hotel, the rooms are huge! The biggest I've been in so far! The location is fantastic, 2 mins to the beach and right next door to a bowling ally, which my kids loved and last but not least opposite a good sized shopping area with a great variety of shops and places to eat!

It's a 10 min drive to the ferry with free parking which is then a 20 minute crossing into the heart of San Francisco. All in all this is a great location and for a budget hotel, we were all really pleased and would come back again

Stayed July 2014
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I had a chance to go to Alameda again. I decided to take my chances and stay at the Coral Reef Inn again. The last time was a disaster.

Thank you Coral Reef Inn for making this stay much better than the last one.
I think they may have new owners or management.

I was traveling alone and booked an Executive Suite.
It was much better than the room I got the last time.
Second story suite #256
FREE WIFI

It had a living room, with a sofa bed, tube TV. The dinning area had a nice table, above was a ceiling fan. A glass sliding door(so screen) to balcony. It had a full kitchen,Refrigerator,electric stove and a Microwave oven.
Plenty of cupboard space. Bring your own dishes and cooking utensils if to plan to prepare meals.
Carpet seemed to be recently replaced. Paint was clean.
Bedroom had a door. Inside was a second TV. A Pillow Top bed would have been nice. Bed was acceptable. Chest of drawers and a pretty big closet. Inside was the ironing board and iron.
In the Lavatory, a door separated the toilet and shower from washbasin area.
In general it was a nice place to sleep and hang out.

The staff was pleasant. They do have a large Flat screen in lobby. This is where they have the Continental Breakfast. Fresh fruit,cold cereal,donuts,coffee.tea,orange juice.

I absolutely love ALAMEDA. Downtown is not a far walk from Coral Reef Inn.

My "Very Good" rating is not only for accommodations but also location. Close to water,large shopping center across the street.public transportation, very close to Oakland Airport.
I rented a car. 4 left turns and I was at hotel. :)
Hope this helps.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

The staff is helpful and pleasant. Clerk offered no-cost upgrade to suite (one bedroom with sitting room) for free. The location is good for us to be close to family. Having to drive in the Bay Area is a hassle with traffic galore. But Coral Reef is badly in need of updating. noisy Toilet ran constantly; had to close doors to keep it from bothering us at nite. Even though had kitchenette, nothing provided, not even wash cloth or soap. overhead fan in br very noisy, (like horses hooves on stone) turn it on to cool down and then turn off. Cleaning staff inconsistent at best. One day, bathroom supplies replenished but bed not made; several days towels were taken and not replaced, don't think the floor was vacuumed during our stay (at least some areas remained dirty, found paper under couch, etc.) Had two TV's, one in bedroom didn't work. Both were old picture-tube type, not flat screen and obviously not HD. No DVD player.

If you are not familiar with the Bay Area, Alameda is an island just off Oakland, across the bay from SF. The hotel is a block from the bay and you are close to wonderful walks, bird sanctuary. The Bay Area can have huge ranges of kind of weather and temperatures. Summer here can include foggy, overcast 50-60 degree weather or nice sunny days. you need to prepare for both. A short walk you can see SF across the bay. Beautiful view. There is a WONDERFUL ferry service from Alameda to SF Fishermans' Wharf. IT IS ONLY WAY TO TRAVEL THERE; AVOID DRIVING AT ALL COSTS.

for us, the location would bring us back, only to avoid driving from nearby areas. My sister found a suite in a private home and IT WAS WONDERFUL. Check out those possibilities.

In summary, the location overall was quiet, did have free off-street parking. Continental breakfast provided (donuts, cereal, juice, coffee). Internet was fairly good at this particular room. Wish they would update the place and give better attention to servicing room.

Room Tip: ask for room further from South Shore shopping center side, it is quieter away from that road.