“No parking” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Houston
“No parking”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We weren't expecting anything posh. That said: The property is older, the staff is brusque. When we went in August 2012 there were piles of old carpets and padding in the parking lot. We had to double park to get our luggage out and then had to park in a nearby business parking lot overnight. We got a warning ticket for parking there. The area is not bad, but it was a little nerve- wrecking to hike from parking lot to hotel at night. No airport shuttle.

The lobby has a friendly atmosphere. There is a continental breakfast. Just down the block is a beautiful view of the water. If you get a courtyard view, the flora and pool are nice to look at. You are not actually on water in any section of the hotel--those are just clever photographs.

Short drive to Pier 29 Restaurant--yummy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
South Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

OK. It is old, but if you prefer parking the car and walking to good shopping and dining this might be the place for you. A lot of working people, and I mean folks who leave home for the week to work, stay here.

I had a one bedroom "apartment" on the second floor. It had a separate bedroom from the kitchen/dining/LR. The kitchen had a full size frig and stove, though the oven did not work. The place was soiled but the sheets and towels clean. I cleaned the kitchen floor and kept my socks on.

WiFi was a little slow but free. I did not access my bank accounts using this connection.

Coral Reef has a deal with the Alameda Athletic Club 4 blocks away. Ask for a pass at the desk.

The guys with the diesel pick-ups tend to leave around 5:30 AM so you can skip the alarm clock.

The Ritz - no, but most of us would have loved apartments this big when we were first starting out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brevard, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a slow time, so the price was reasonable for tha area and the reason we chose to stay at this hotel. In our view, here are the positivesand negatives. First the positives: the hotel is next to Alameda Beach, so it takes about a minute walk to be on the beach; acroos the street from grocery stores and shopping district; the free breakfast is ok with donuts, toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit, OJ, and coffee; Internet access in the room was good (even had an ethernet wired access port in the room); big pillows and comfortable bed; quiet; desk clerks were friendly. Now the negatives: room was worn and could have used a good carpet cleaning and fresh paint; room service was hit and miss (one day our used towels were taken, but no new ones were left behind and no other service like emptying waste baskets). If cleanliness is important, then maybe consider a different hotel. But, for the price, we were satisfied.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I'm trying to think what the best part of staying here is. Perhaps its the fact that the kitchenette is equipped with absolutely nothing but 2 plates, a fork and a spoon. Maybe its the way people are walking up and down the corridors, talking loudly outside our room at 3:30am. It could be the fact that everything is old and dirty. Or maybe its the way I can hear the next room's heating unit going all night. No wait, the best feature of the hotel is whatever is making a loud beeping sound every 30 seconds.

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Apart from the price and location, there is absolutely nothing good to say about it. It only had to function as a place to sleep and it cant even do that. It's so filthy, noisy, and run down, that I can't believe there's any kind of positive review. If I could afford to do it, I'd be out of here first thing in the morning.

• Stayed January 2013
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

the staff is helpful, and polite. the room's are cozy and clean. we will return...I've stayed in other hotels in the area,and all have been rude staff accept this one. also has a stove and kitchen area that gives a home environment. the local area is clean and convenient.close to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've heard mixed reviews from friends that have stayed here over the years, but I finally tried it myself this past week. I think the mixed reviews from tripadvisor and from friends are accurate.

As many have reported the front desk 'lost' my reservation. The woman I was dealing with at the front desk was nice, but seemed very new and not knowledgeable. A young man came out of the back office while she was assisting me and he seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face every time I saw him.

The housekeeping staff was very nice. My room was very clean and came with a kitchenette that I barely used. The hotel is close to Alameda Beach which is a very nice place to walk or watch the sunset.

There is a shopping center with restaurants across the street and a bowling alley next door.

I stayed at the hotel during the 2012 presidential election and I had hoped to be able to use their wifi to watch some election related videos but it was incredibly slow, I'm talking dialup speeds here. If you need decent speed for work or other purposes consider staying elsewhere.

I'd recommend that you try to get a room on the inside facing the pool as it was very quiet.

The continental breakfast is toast and cold cereal with juice and coffee so nothing special.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside facing the pool are very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Regina, Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We arrived at 11pm after a full day of flying with a newborn. Upon arrival, the "new" desk worker couldn't find our reservation. Turns out they had it under my middle name, not last name. He gave us the key for our room and when we tried to get in, the chain was locked from the inside! He had activated the keys to someone elses room! He then upgraded us to a "suite", which was very dated and scary looking. It was also a smoking room which was unacceptable with our baby. 3rd try was the charm and he upgraded us to a 2nd level "river view" room. Nice linens, renovated bathroom, great view of the canal and sunsets. Also had a small kitchenette which was key for a week long stay. From my understanding, this upgrade is quite a bit more money if you were booking online, which is unfortunate since it should be the standard. Room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and soaps. Pefect room for the amount of time you're in it. Close to all Alameda amenities including restaurants and shopping. Long drive to San Fran every day if that's where you're spending most of your trip. Close to Oakland and Alameda is a cute town itself. Staff is friendly and helpful. Less than a block from the beach. Didn't try the outdoor pool as the weather was chilly.

Room Tip: Take the upgrade to the "river view" suites, they are by far the cleanest and most updated...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!