“OK for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Alameda
Brevard, North Carolina
“OK for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a slow time, so the price was reasonable for tha area and the reason we chose to stay at this hotel. In our view, here are the positivesand negatives. First the positives: the hotel is next to Alameda Beach, so it takes about a minute walk to be on the beach; acroos the street from grocery stores and shopping district; the free breakfast is ok with donuts, toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit, OJ, and coffee; Internet access in the room was good (even had an ethernet wired access port in the room); big pillows and comfortable bed; quiet; desk clerks were friendly. Now the negatives: room was worn and could have used a good carpet cleaning and fresh paint; room service was hit and miss (one day our used towels were taken, but no new ones were left behind and no other service like emptying waste baskets). If cleanliness is important, then maybe consider a different hotel. But, for the price, we were satisfied.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm trying to think what the best part of staying here is. Perhaps its the fact that the kitchenette is equipped with absolutely nothing but 2 plates, a fork and a spoon. Maybe its the way people are walking up and down the corridors, talking loudly outside our room at 3:30am. It could be the fact that everything is old and dirty. Or maybe its the way I can hear the next room's heating unit going all night. No wait, the best feature of the hotel is whatever is making a loud beeping sound every 30 seconds.

This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Apart from the price and location, there is absolutely nothing good to say about it. It only had to function as a place to sleep and it cant even do that. It's so filthy, noisy, and run down, that I can't believe there's any kind of positive review. If I could afford to do it, I'd be out of here first thing in the morning.

• Stayed January 2013
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

the staff is helpful, and polite. the room's are cozy and clean. we will return...I've stayed in other hotels in the area,and all have been rude staff accept this one. also has a stove and kitchen area that gives a home environment. the local area is clean and convenient.close to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've heard mixed reviews from friends that have stayed here over the years, but I finally tried it myself this past week. I think the mixed reviews from tripadvisor and from friends are accurate.

As many have reported the front desk 'lost' my reservation. The woman I was dealing with at the front desk was nice, but seemed very new and not knowledgeable. A young man came out of the back office while she was assisting me and he seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face every time I saw him.

The housekeeping staff was very nice. My room was very clean and came with a kitchenette that I barely used. The hotel is close to Alameda Beach which is a very nice place to walk or watch the sunset.

There is a shopping center with restaurants across the street and a bowling alley next door.

I stayed at the hotel during the 2012 presidential election and I had hoped to be able to use their wifi to watch some election related videos but it was incredibly slow, I'm talking dialup speeds here. If you need decent speed for work or other purposes consider staying elsewhere.

I'd recommend that you try to get a room on the inside facing the pool as it was very quiet.

The continental breakfast is toast and cold cereal with juice and coffee so nothing special.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside facing the pool are very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Regina, Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We arrived at 11pm after a full day of flying with a newborn. Upon arrival, the "new" desk worker couldn't find our reservation. Turns out they had it under my middle name, not last name. He gave us the key for our room and when we tried to get in, the chain was locked from the inside! He had activated the keys to someone elses room! He then upgraded us to a "suite", which was very dated and scary looking. It was also a smoking room which was unacceptable with our baby. 3rd try was the charm and he upgraded us to a 2nd level "river view" room. Nice linens, renovated bathroom, great view of the canal and sunsets. Also had a small kitchenette which was key for a week long stay. From my understanding, this upgrade is quite a bit more money if you were booking online, which is unfortunate since it should be the standard. Room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and soaps. Pefect room for the amount of time you're in it. Close to all Alameda amenities including restaurants and shopping. Long drive to San Fran every day if that's where you're spending most of your trip. Close to Oakland and Alameda is a cute town itself. Staff is friendly and helpful. Less than a block from the beach. Didn't try the outdoor pool as the weather was chilly.

Room Tip: Take the upgrade to the "river view" suites, they are by far the cleanest and most updated...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Disgusting and unsettling. If I had time I would have left the second I got here and waited 15 mins for someone, anyone to show up at the front desk. I passed the time by counting the number of flies in the lobby and runs and stains in the carpeting.

The room, oh dear God, the room is best described as the little horror under the eaves! Do you remember those old Zenith tube sets that hotels used to have, in the 80s! Well, the room had one. That was not the worst to be told. The bedding -stained, the quilt - cigarette burnt, the walls - like prison cells, the bath - dated, with peeling tub, burnt linoleum floors; the bed - lumpy and squeaky; the furniture - like discarded theater props; the curtains - ripped, dirty, stained!

I kid you not people, do not stay here if you have a choice!! Oh, how could I forget that its next door to a pool hall, bowling alley, hole-in-the-way bar with questionable characters in and out till midnight (on a Sunday!) I studied the layout and at all cost, avoid room 214 - worst placed room in the entire hotel and its tucked away down this weird dark corridor above the lobby.

Room Tip: room 214 is the worst on the property - don't accept it if you make the mistake of staying here...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Norwalk, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked 3 rooms through Priceline and when we checked in were upgraded to 1 bedroom suites. This is an older motel with very pretty grounds. Pool was too cold to use. Barely a block to the beach.
The canal reeks at low tide (?)
The room was very comfortable and we were there 3 nights.
Staff was very helpful and the breakfast was replenished until they ran out. Amazing donuts!
We were at least 25 minutes from SF and that was the biggest disappointment but we weren't willing to pay $100's of dollars extra to be in town.
Nice large balconies although not much furniture. We made do just fine.
Our shower didn't drain well and it was fixed very quickly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!