“Average, slow wifi, needs upgrades, very clean” 3 of 5 stars

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Park Street, Alameda, CA 94501   |
Ranked #4 of 8 hotels in Alameda
San Jose, California
“Average, slow wifi, needs upgrades, very clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've heard mixed reviews from friends that have stayed here over the years, but I finally tried it myself this past week. I think the mixed reviews from tripadvisor and from friends are accurate.

As many have reported the front desk 'lost' my reservation. The woman I was dealing with at the front desk was nice, but seemed very new and not knowledgeable. A young man came out of the back office while she was assisting me and he seemed to have a permanent scowl on his face every time I saw him.

The housekeeping staff was very nice. My room was very clean and came with a kitchenette that I barely used. The hotel is close to Alameda Beach which is a very nice place to walk or watch the sunset.

There is a shopping center with restaurants across the street and a bowling alley next door.

I stayed at the hotel during the 2012 presidential election and I had hoped to be able to use their wifi to watch some election related videos but it was incredibly slow, I'm talking dialup speeds here. If you need decent speed for work or other purposes consider staying elsewhere.

I'd recommend that you try to get a room on the inside facing the pool as it was very quiet.

The continental breakfast is toast and cold cereal with juice and coffee so nothing special.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside facing the pool are very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Regina, Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We arrived at 11pm after a full day of flying with a newborn. Upon arrival, the "new" desk worker couldn't find our reservation. Turns out they had it under my middle name, not last name. He gave us the key for our room and when we tried to get in, the chain was locked from the inside! He had activated the keys to someone elses room! He then upgraded us to a "suite", which was very dated and scary looking. It was also a smoking room which was unacceptable with our baby. 3rd try was the charm and he upgraded us to a 2nd level "river view" room. Nice linens, renovated bathroom, great view of the canal and sunsets. Also had a small kitchenette which was key for a week long stay. From my understanding, this upgrade is quite a bit more money if you were booking online, which is unfortunate since it should be the standard. Room was cleaned daily with fresh towels and soaps. Pefect room for the amount of time you're in it. Close to all Alameda amenities including restaurants and shopping. Long drive to San Fran every day if that's where you're spending most of your trip. Close to Oakland and Alameda is a cute town itself. Staff is friendly and helpful. Less than a block from the beach. Didn't try the outdoor pool as the weather was chilly.

Room Tip: Take the upgrade to the "river view" suites, they are by far the cleanest and most updated...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Disgusting and unsettling. If I had time I would have left the second I got here and waited 15 mins for someone, anyone to show up at the front desk. I passed the time by counting the number of flies in the lobby and runs and stains in the carpeting.

The room, oh dear God, the room is best described as the little horror under the eaves! Do you remember those old Zenith tube sets that hotels used to have, in the 80s! Well, the room had one. That was not the worst to be told. The bedding -stained, the quilt - cigarette burnt, the walls - like prison cells, the bath - dated, with peeling tub, burnt linoleum floors; the bed - lumpy and squeaky; the furniture - like discarded theater props; the curtains - ripped, dirty, stained!

I kid you not people, do not stay here if you have a choice!! Oh, how could I forget that its next door to a pool hall, bowling alley, hole-in-the-way bar with questionable characters in and out till midnight (on a Sunday!) I studied the layout and at all cost, avoid room 214 - worst placed room in the entire hotel and its tucked away down this weird dark corridor above the lobby.

Room Tip: room 214 is the worst on the property - don't accept it if you make the mistake of staying here...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Norwalk, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked 3 rooms through Priceline and when we checked in were upgraded to 1 bedroom suites. This is an older motel with very pretty grounds. Pool was too cold to use. Barely a block to the beach.
The canal reeks at low tide (?)
The room was very comfortable and we were there 3 nights.
Staff was very helpful and the breakfast was replenished until they ran out. Amazing donuts!
We were at least 25 minutes from SF and that was the biggest disappointment but we weren't willing to pay $100's of dollars extra to be in town.
Nice large balconies although not much furniture. We made do just fine.
Our shower didn't drain well and it was fixed very quickly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is pretty dated. It needs a face lift. Very disappointed that the pool wasn't heated even I'm the summer. This place is a motel for sure. Not much of a breakfast. But it is close to the bay and near great shopping. Go across the street to Panera for breakfast, or even better, down to Park Street to the amazing Ole's Waffle House. This place is okay for a short stay, but not a destination.

• Stayed July 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

It started with a broken toilet. It was fixed that day, but the smell was not something I could get around. There is water at the end of the block and when the tide goes out the stink is terrible. We bought a room deodorizer, which helped a bit, but I cannot believe every review doesn't mention this huge flaw. The room was shabby but clean. The beds were comfortable. The TV has very few stations and the free breakfast was almost nonexistent. By 7:30 am there was 1 doughnut and some coffee left, and the free parking fills up if you come back too late. The location was very convenient for our purposes but not even the low price would bring me back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

don't be fooled by the pictures you see of this hotel. I was hoping it would be a nice place away from the busyness in SF but as I got out of the car the stench of the bay hit my nose at 55 mph. the inside was worse, the staff seems very unhappy and I don't think they believe in cleanliness. there are dust bunnies hanging from the ceiling and the walls have a lot of dirt and scratches on them. the tv is at least 20 years old. To make matters worse the toilet got plugged. I would have been fine had they had a maintenance person on site, mind you this is 9am in the morning, but I was told they have a plunger and I am welcome to use it. What jerks, I will never stay at this place ever again. Do yourself a favor pay $10-$20 more and stay somewhere where they at least welcome you.

Room Tip: don't wast you vacation at this joint.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!