“Thanksgiving nightmare ala the Coral Reef!” 1 of 5 stars

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   400 Park Street, Alameda, CA 94501   |
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
California
“Thanksgiving nightmare ala the Coral Reef!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

Stayed at the Coral Reef in the past - thought it nice, clean and reasonably priced.
This trip for Thanksgiving (3 night stay) was terrible. The room was freezing and the staff had no extra blankets for 2 nights. The 3rd night we finally got 1 blanket. The heater worked but was so loud - impossible to sleep with it on. The bathroom had mold stains in the grout. Something thumped on the roof all night, no help from the staff only "no one has ever told me that before" in response to our info. Had a room close to the entrance - could hear the loud disco music from the bowling alley until after 1am. Last night we were treated to a screaming Tagalog argument from the parking lot at 2:30am which was accompanied by a few hotel neighbors screaming at them to shut up then slamming their doors.
At checkout the staff member (very nice lady) couldn't help with any discounts or refunds and shared that all morning people checking out had complained about their stay. The hotel later came through with a $30.00 discount. Any other hotel would have comped at least one night.
Terrible place. Shame. Used to be nice.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
San Pedro, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

The front desk staff could not have been less helpful. I had booked 2 rooms, one for me and one for a co-worker. There were 2 people ahead of us in line, we were greeted with "you might as well sit down, this will take awhile" They mixed up our rooms and acted like we were bothering them when we asked for recommendations for a place to eat. The rooms themselves were ok, more like apartments but the kitchen had no plates, dishes or silverware. Two of the lamps in the living room had burned out bulbs. In the morning the "continental breakfast" had no coffee, they had ran out and the staff hadn't had time to make more. When we asked the front desk how to get to the freeway, the guy didn't know and one of the housekeeping staff tried to explain it to us. The staff could use some customer service training, but I guess you could do worse.

• Liked — had a kitchen and seperate living area
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

We booked this hotel as part of a sporting event. The hotel was the HOST for the event, which, in the past, meant LOTS of cooperation and assistance. However, the new management thought "HOST" was a license to belittle us in front of other guests, not provide towels, and to lock us out of our room on the final day of the event. Since our room was booked months in advance and our event took over 90% of the rooms, we were more than surprised to have so many problems. One of our teams, who arrived from Maine at 1am, was told that his room was gone - he had called ahead to alert the staff that his flight was delayed. They did NOT tell him about the room situation until he arrived at the hotel. They did find him another room an hour away. Checkin is 3pm. Having heard the story from friends, we immediately checked in at 3:05 only to be told that our room wouldn't be ready for an hour. We sat in the lobbby for TWO hours before the maid was done. The hotel advertises wireless in EACH room. The ONLY wireless was in the hotel lobby and was sporadic between 8am and 10 pm; after 10 - give up. When we asked the staff concering this, we were told that they had wirelss and that it was our problem. We had a full kitchen in our room but only ONE dinner plate, ONE salad plate, ONE napkin, One juice glass, ONE fork, ONE spoon and ONE knife; nothing to cook with, no real cups. We booked two queen beds. We had one bed and a VERY uncomfortable foldout couch. Some of the electric sockets did not work. Lights were out. The lawn was a rice paddy - if you stepped on the grass you sank up to your ankle. The pool did not have any reclining chairs. The construction across the street started at 7 am evrery morning. There are more rooms than parking spots. We received only 1 bath cloth for the 2 of us. If we got 2 bathcloths, we did NOT get a hand towel. At times, the towels didn't arrive until 5pm. Over half of us came home wet each day to stand in the lobby to have our keys rekeyed - some elusive computer glitch. Until the last day, when we came back with only an hour to clean up for a fancy banquet to find that everything was locked in a closet along with the belongings of 8 other people. It seems that the staff decided to move us instead of moving the wedding party that they had overbooked. We had clothes for dining out; we had sporting equipment; we had a lot of stuff unpacked in our rooms. The staff was rude and uncooperative. This hotel had been successfully used for many years for the same type of event. After this, I don't think it will happen again. Does the management really want to continue such an anti-business trend? How can you possibly overbook a hotel by 5 rooms? And why would you move the people who were in those rooms when it would be easier to find rooms for people who WERE NOT already unpacked?

Stayed July 2007
Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

Got a great deal on USAirways ($70/night) for this hotel. I was a little hesitant since I had to prepay on my credit card, but once I got to the hotel I was amazed. It is more like a converted apartment
complex. The "room" was a one bedroom apartment, complete with 2 phones, 2 TVs, HUGE amount of closet space, full bath, full kitchen (when was the last time you saw a garbage disposal in a hotel room???), nice patio with chairs to sit on.

Shopping mall across the road had grocery store to stock up on food.
I bought lots of microwaveable food since there were no cooking pots/
pans, only 2 dishes and utensils. A sushi restaurant was nearby. Also a bowling alley right next door in case anyone wants to bowl while on vacation.

Bus stop into town is at shopping mall right across from drugstore. Go out of hotel, turn right, go down 1/2 block, cross the street. Easy enough. Buses ran every 15-30 minutes to the Fruitvale BART station, so it was not a problem getting into and out of San Francisco.

Staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Grounds were kept in great shape. Nice complex.

When I told people at my business meeting that I was staying in Alemada, they all looked at me like I was out of my mind. When I told them I had a one bedroom apartment for $70 + tax a night, they all wanted to know the name of the hotel!

Will definately return next time I'm in SF.

• Liked — Price, amount of space, free wireless, full kitchen
  • Disliked — nothing to cook with
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

I drove up from Arizona for my daughters graduation and booked my stay at the Coral Reef for two weeks. I am handicaped but very self suficient. I must say that upon my arrival a wondeful young man who was working on the grounds stopped what he was doing to attend to my luggage.The staff was very friendly and attentive to my needs throughout my stay. The young man took my luggage and things to a very spacios, clean room. The room had two queen sized beds and still allowed me enough room to use my mobile chair , there was a beautiful patio, dining area, and large bathroom with tons of closet space.
What made my stay was the attentiveness of that nice young man, He was always working or helping other guest. They need more people like him in the world. Thanks Coral Reef, and a special thanks to Lou.

Stayed June 2007
Pomona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

My family and I went to Berkeley for graduation and most of the reasonaby priced accommodations in the area were taken. I went on Tripadvisor to take a look at lodging in the area and Coral Reef Inn looked pretty good. The price was certainly right - under a hundred bucks a night!

I went to the hotel's website and reserved a room - painless! Check in was at 3pm but, I knew we wouldn't make it since the graduation started at 2pm and we were going to have dinner after that. I called and these nice people actually reserved our room until sometime after 7pm! The other cool thing they did was upgrade our room to a Suite on the Lagoon.

This is not by any stretch a "luxury" hotel - the Suite itself was pretty much an average one bedroom apartment - complete with kitchen. What made this room standout was the huge patio overlooking the lagoon. We fed the ducks and geese and had coffee and pastries from the complimentary continental breakfast. All in all a pretty cool place - if we are ever in the area again, we will stay here.

• Liked — proximity to the lagoon
  • Stayed May 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lincoln, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

We stay at the Coral Reef at least 3 times a year for the past 4 years and loved every stay. Yes, the decor is "older" but it's fine! I'd rather stay here than where they keep up with the Jones.

Staff are very plesant (even the grochier man in the morning) and are helpful. We have never partaked in the breakfast only because we have children and bring our own supplies. We have never had any problems staying here.

We will be there tomorrow night infact!

• Liked — price, ease of getting a room, helpfullness
  • Disliked — older facility but thats at the bottom...I don't care that its older!
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham -Oakland/Alameda
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayside Hotel
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda
Executive Inn and Suites

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!