“Peacefull” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Fresno, California
“Peacefull”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Well equipped with furniture, refrigerator, stove, televisions/cable. Good nights sleep; walked across the street for Walgreens, Chipotle, Applebees, Panera, Ross, Kohls etc. Furthermore Crown memorial state beach is right around the corner. Awesome atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011 via mobile

I stayed at Coral Reef in for several weeks and was very impressed. The front desk handled all problems very quickly. I asked if they had any pots and pans which they were all out. The manager sent someone to the store to purchase a new set and I was cooking within an hour. On a couple occasions I left dirty dishes in the sink. I was pleasantly surprised when I got back to my room to see the plates sitting clean on the counter drying. I would definitely stay here again. The hotel is in prime spot walking distance to the bay and across the street from a strip mall with very nice restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed March 2011
Tempe, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I booked through Hotels.com based on reveiws and a star rating of 3.5. I reserved for 5 nights a room with 2 queen beds, kitchenette, Free Internet, water view, smoking. I GOT NONE OF WHAT I HAD RESERVED!!! What I got was the most filthy run down "suite" imaginable. I did not get two queen beds but one broken bed with dirty sheets, a sofa that was stained beyond words, no utensils in kitchenette, the stove nor oven worked nor did the refrigerator or freezer, No hangers for clothes, the sliding glass door was not lockable and installed backwards as it could be lifted off it's tracks from the outside. I did not get a water view nor a smoking room. When I plugged in my laptop I was shocked buy the electricity plug that moved within the wall. My finger is still numb. I called Hotels.com because I did not get any internet service that was part of the hotel deal. I canceled the rest of my stay at the Coral Reef Inn with a hotels.com agent who offered no futher assistance in booking a new hotel! I checked out in the morning making it clear I was checking out to the desk clerk and returned the electronic room key. When I finally got home and checked my bank statement no refund had been given! Again called Hotels.com and they said I had not canceled my stay and that I had stayed the whole time!!! WHAT A RIP OFF!!! NOW A LEGAL BATTLE TO GET MY $300 hard earned dollars back!!!!! NEVER BOOK WITH HOTELS.COM AND NEVER STAY AT THE CORAL REEF INN IN ALAMEDA CA.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
CoralReef400, Manager at Coral Reef Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
The guest reserved the reservation through hotels.com. According to the fax we received from hotels.com it was room with two queen beds and there was neither clear information about smoking room nor lagoon suite. We only have couple of smoking rooms and we did not have any smoking rooms available at her check-in date as we were sold out. The sofa bed we provided is fully functional and the guest stating about it broken is certainly false.
We were happy to refund her accommodation for the inconvenience but the hotels.com has not called the hotel at all.
We have taken all the steps to make the customer happy therefore, we will like tripadvisor to delete this post as soon as possible. We are happy to talk to the guest and resolve this problem as soon as possible and would even willing to provide her future stay in our lagoon suite complimentary.
Buellton, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

My husband was staying here with his company because of his work. I brought the family to visit. First off, the rooms are filthy. My babies skin turned black from crawling on the floor, there was food still in the fridge, the furniture had (only god knows) stuff ALL over it, the heater wouldn't turn on and the kitchen floors were dirty. To top everything off, the hotel charged our bank account for 10 extra days leaving us with a credit card that kept declining. We discovered this at a restaurant when we couldn't pay for our dinner ! And so for nearly three days (over the weekend) we were broke ! Could not buy dinner for the family, nor diapers NOTHING !!! And the manager didn't care one bit. Nothing was compt. and we never got an apology ! There was no manager to talk to in person for three days.The second day we talked to a manager on the phone and later come to find out he was hiding in his office in the building the whole time. I have worked in the hotel business before and know how guests should be treated. I can not believe they are still in business ! ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE !!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
El Segundo, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I was on a business trip and chose this hotel, as the website showed the hotels as quaint, clean and well maintained. I booked a larger room that is actually an apartment style room. When I checked in, I noticed several things:

1. The walls were dirty all throughout the room.

2. The kitchen floors were FILTHY! There was still trash and dirt on the floor from the previous occupant. It was very visible- it's not like the dirt and trash were concealed. There's no excuse for that!

3. This was the most disgusting thing ever- The kitchen table was so sticky that upon trying to move my pizza box, it actually STUCK! After numerous tugs and pulls was I able to remove it from the table! It actually tore the bottom of the box. That's how sticky the table was! I was nauseated.

4. The toilet kept getting clogged. The maintenance man said that several of the rooms were all getting backed up at the same time, and had been like that for quite some time. So every day we were there, the toilets were clogged. The maintence man actually suggested that we not flush toilet paper down the toilet! That's not only an outrageous suggestion, but highly unsanitary!

5. Room service never threw out the trash. I had empty water bottles and some take out trash that remained in the trash can almost the entire stay. The only time our room was clean was the last day.

6. Someone had either vomited or spilled some type of disgusting food on the walk path. During the entire 3 days that we stayed, it was NEVER CLEANED UP. Everyone had to walk around the "mess" to avoid stepping into whatever it was.

7. Hotel VERY RUN DOWN. The room we had was on the lagoon. Upon opening the windows to see the view, we noticed the wood deck appeared to have rot and in desperate need of some serious repairs. So much for enjoying the view! I was afraid to step out onto the deck for fear we may fall through!

While checking out, I spoke to the manager. He seemed more annoyed than concerned about my complaints, and suggested that the reason why our room was so dirty was because the "regular girl" was off. Apparently this hotel only has ONE cleaning woman, and would come as late as 7 pm to give us towels and "clean" .
I should've received at least a portion of my stay refunded. But the manager didn't appear to really even care! The desk clerk was more concerned then the manager.

I travel a lot, and have been to many different types of hotels. I have to say that the Coral Reef Inn was by far one of the WORST I have ever stayed in.
The only positive thing I can say is that they hotel desk clerks (2 out of 3 that we saw and spoke to- one woman and a young man) were very nice and accomodating. Other than that - RUN FOR THE HILLS IF YOU'RE EVEN CONSIDERING THIS HOTEL. WHAT A DUMP!
If I was able- I would rate this ZERO stars!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

This is a small town quiet budget hotel.My mother had a queen room with better linens and mattress than us .We were really cold only a bedspread on the bed.
water pressure in shower was excellent.Bathrooms were old but clean.
carpets were filthy and my kids feet were black from it.My friends room had worst issue, the tv caught fire , she was eventually moved to a much nicer room on the lagoon.
laundry had no soap neither did front desk.Complimentary breakfast was quite reasonable.But get in quick as the oldies are there early to take the best doughnuts etc!!!
with some maintenance , painting ,new carpet , more towels and good management this could be the gem it was 10 years ago.We would stay again for the location it's fab.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Coral Reef Inn last week. It is located right across the street from a mall that includes several good restaurants, a Safeway Grocery Store, and a gas station. The beds were super comfy, and the room nicely appointed (though a bit dated). This place is a real value for those visiting the Bay area.

The staff was quite helpful and pleasant. Joyce at the front desk was especially accommodating. When we needed to print out boarding passes but also needed to leave for a wine country tour she kindly agreed to take care of the whole thing. Upon our return to the hotel our passes were waiting for us at the desk. She had booked them exactly 24 hours in advance, thus giving us great boarding on Southwest Air.

We will go back for sure. The easy access to San Francisco, the nice location (Park Street in Alameda is awesome), the friendly staff, and the super comfy beds make this a real find.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!