“Not the Marriott...Better!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, CA
“Not the Marriott...Better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I loved this hotel! I was on business and I had hoped to be booked at the Marriott only to be disappointed by what I thought would be below average. I was expecting cheap and chintzy, but I got exceeded expectations.

I felt the hotel was extremely clean, the staff was very helpful and let us check-in super early, I appreciated the constant spread of hot drinks and complimentary fruit and cookies throughout the day, the rooms were very comfortable, the beds just right and I felt that I had everything I needed, and if I missed anything, the hotel would hook me up.

For once, I slept peacefully and soundly because I felt so comfortable in my surroundings. I could see the effort the hotel was making and I appreciated it!

And did I mention the awesome breakfast spread? Yeah. Awesome.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Your complimentary review of our hotel was so nice to hear. Our team strives to keep our guests happy, so they will be glad to hear their efforts acknowledged. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and the complimentary refreshments. Offering a good night’s rest is the highest accomplishment of a hotel, thank you for letting us know that we succeeded.

We look forward to your next visit with us, come back soon.

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

First time visitors to this property and found it a very pleasant surprise. Alameda is East Bay SF area and just across the inlet from Oakland (yes, that Oakland). We were a bit skeptical at first, but soon learned that we had made a very good decision.

Our stay carried into the weekend and it was extremely quiet and peaceful. Cyclist rode by the hotel throughout the weekend as well as runners and walkers. Very little weekend traffic, although the work traffic for nearby offices picks up come Monday morning.

The Oakland Raiders Football training facility is just up from the hotel. The small shops of Alameda and larger shopping centers are very close by.

The hotel is newer and still emits that "Hampton Welcome", however, there were a couple of things that really needed to be tweaked or adjusted........ Otherwise it would have justified a 4 rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a "Bay View" room. Although the bay is quite some distance away from the propert...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad that you were so happily surprised with the quietness of our location and the proximity to the Oakland Raiders training facility and nearby shopping. Many visitors remark on the fun, recreational activities such as biking and walking that are available to our guests.

I would be happy to talk with you about the issues that you suggest need to be “tweaked”. We are always striving to improve and your comments would be helpful.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your Bay Area stay.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Nick at the front desk helped me ship a package and made it so easy. What a great start to my day. Nothing like scratching off a to do item at 5 am. Now that's above and beyond. Will be back here next time I am in the area. Room was very clean and comfortable

• Stayed January 2013
Bhotels, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are proud of our staff and their commitment to excellent customer service. Nick’s assistance in shipping your package is one example of the extra effort our team makes in helping our guests. I am pleased that he was able to make your day easier.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to the Bay Area. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The location is both secluded and convenient at the same time. The value (price) is unrivaled for what you get compared to other hotels I've tried. They have AAA rates. If you are flying into Oakland and are not extravagantly wealthy you have to stay here.

Room Tip: My room had a beautiful view of the Bay, and I didn't even ask for it. So look at a map prior t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ron,

Your description about the convenience and seclusion of our hotel is so well said, thank you. Our goal of providing an excellent value is what drives us, I am glad you found our rates a good deal. We will do our best to accommodate you in a bay view room on your next visit so you can enjoy the lovely view.

We appreciate your business.

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

By reading the other reviews prior to staying at the Hampton in Alameda I would have thought that this was the best hotel West of the Mississippi. As it turned out -- it's a Hampton....and I can't figure out what others see in it that makes it so fantastic. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad hotel, it just doesn't strike me as anything unusual for a Hampton other than it seems a bit newer that some others.

Located near the airport, and essentially in an industrial park, it is far enough from the airport to be away from the noise and close enough to companies in the industrial park that it is a great location if your business is there. That said, it is not really close (meaning you have to have a car) to restaurants or the city (read: ANY city).

Clean -- Check
Efficient Staff -- Check
Free shuttle to Oakland airport and all points within 3 miles -- Check
Hampton Breakfast (nothing to write home about) - Check
Hampton Inn -- Check

The one not so good thing that I noticed -- I stayed on the first floor and you could hear the second floor occupants through the ceiling. Whether they were heavy footed or if this is a general issue is not clear, but next time I am going for the top floor!

Room Tip: I could hear the footsteps and noise through the ceiling from the floor above -- go for the top floo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your reaction to our hotel was less than exuberant. We continually strive to raise the bar on our standards, so we take your comments seriously. Please call me on your next visit so that I can speak to you personally and ensure that you have a comfortable stay.

Grass Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This Hampton Inn is quiet, clean, comfortable and a great value. Our son is living in Alameda in a studio apartment so we've stayed here twice while visiting him - and will again. We love the friendly staff, comfortable king suites, luxurious bedding and super clean bathrooms. There's a great walking path along the bay. Breakfast is simple but nicely presented - very decent for a hotel. It's not a destination resort but it is perfect for our purpose.

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the west side - for the sunset view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Carol,

We are happy to offer you a "home away from home" when you visit your son here. Thank you for you compliments about our cleanliness, breakfast, and service. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our bayside location and scenic walkways which are often popular with our guests.

Please let us know when you will be returning for another visit, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just a Great Hotel at a Fair price. Something usually not found in the Bay area. Staff is always efficient and friendly. We recomend it to anyone we meet that is considering an overnight stay in the Bay area.

Room Tip: Stay on the Bay side!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rich,

Your enthusiastic review of our hotel was so thoughtful. We aim to offer the best value for the money, with our convenient shuttle, clean comfortable rooms, delicious breakfast and excellent customer service. I am glad that you were so happy with the value you received.

Thank you for spreading the word about our hotel. Your recommendation is the best advertising we could ask for.

Come back again soon.

Dhruv Patel

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!