“Seriously?? It's a Hampton” 3 of 5 stars

Book now and save 15%
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Seriously?? It's a Hampton”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

By reading the other reviews prior to staying at the Hampton in Alameda I would have thought that this was the best hotel West of the Mississippi. As it turned out -- it's a Hampton....and I can't figure out what others see in it that makes it so fantastic. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad hotel, it just doesn't strike me as anything unusual for a Hampton other than it seems a bit newer that some others.

Located near the airport, and essentially in an industrial park, it is far enough from the airport to be away from the noise and close enough to companies in the industrial park that it is a great location if your business is there. That said, it is not really close (meaning you have to have a car) to restaurants or the city (read: ANY city).

Clean -- Check
Efficient Staff -- Check
Free shuttle to Oakland airport and all points within 3 miles -- Check
Hampton Breakfast (nothing to write home about) - Check
Hampton Inn -- Check

The one not so good thing that I noticed -- I stayed on the first floor and you could hear the second floor occupants through the ceiling. Whether they were heavy footed or if this is a general issue is not clear, but next time I am going for the top floor!

Room Tip: I could hear the footsteps and noise through the ceiling from the floor above -- go for the top floo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bhotels, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that your reaction to our hotel was less than exuberant. We continually strive to raise the bar on our standards, so we take your comments seriously. Please call me on your next visit so that I can speak to you personally and ensure that you have a comfortable stay.

Dhruv Patel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Grass Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This Hampton Inn is quiet, clean, comfortable and a great value. Our son is living in Alameda in a studio apartment so we've stayed here twice while visiting him - and will again. We love the friendly staff, comfortable king suites, luxurious bedding and super clean bathrooms. There's a great walking path along the bay. Breakfast is simple but nicely presented - very decent for a hotel. It's not a destination resort but it is perfect for our purpose.

Room Tip: We like the rooms on the west side - for the sunset view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Carol,

We are happy to offer you a "home away from home" when you visit your son here. Thank you for you compliments about our cleanliness, breakfast, and service. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our bayside location and scenic walkways which are often popular with our guests.

Please let us know when you will be returning for another visit, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just a Great Hotel at a Fair price. Something usually not found in the Bay area. Staff is always efficient and friendly. We recomend it to anyone we meet that is considering an overnight stay in the Bay area.

Room Tip: Stay on the Bay side!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rich,

Your enthusiastic review of our hotel was so thoughtful. We aim to offer the best value for the money, with our convenient shuttle, clean comfortable rooms, delicious breakfast and excellent customer service. I am glad that you were so happy with the value you received.

Thank you for spreading the word about our hotel. Your recommendation is the best advertising we could ask for.

Come back again soon.

Rancho Murieta, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Excellent facility and staff, as always when I stay. Staff always goes out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable. Facility always feels safe and breakfast in the morning is wonderful. Location is quiet and very pretty. Although it is near an airport, one cannot hear the airplanes from inside the facility.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ginny,

Our employees enjoy taking care of our guests, so I will be happy to tell them about your kind remarks regarding their excellent service. Our breakfast is a big hit with our guests who also comment on the attractiveness of our location, thank you for noting those attributes in your review.

I hope you can come back again soon for business or pleasure, we look forward to making your visit as comfortable as possible.

Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel is off the beaten track, even some distance away from the airport terminal. This makes for a quiet location and few flights at night to disturb the peaceful waterfront location. There is a shapping center about 1 mile away with a handful of restuarants.
Facility is clean and well maintained, including fitness center. Good HD TV, free Internet, and breakfast.
One thing I wish they had are real glasses - I would easily pay $5/night more for that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Your comments about the advantages of our seemingly out-of-the-way location were well put. Our guests often comment on the quietness, serenity and the convenience of our hotel. Shopping and dining are nearby and we offer a state of the art fitness center for our guests.

Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We had a night here while on a trip to Hawaii with an early morning flight from Oakland.
Arrived by rental car and dropped our bags, the hotel shuttle bus picked us up from the rental car station and we were told to leave the hotel about 1.5 hours before the flight to have time to check bags etc.
After a good sleep in the nice clean tidy room we were in the lobby at 0530 for a ride to the airport for our flight, also waiting was a couple needing to get a flight half hour earlier than us.
The hotels bus did not have a driver and we had to wait while the guy on duty called another hotel's bus to try and get them to collect us.
Eventually after about 40 very stressful minutes this happened and we all just made flights.
If we had known the bus would be a problem then we'd have kept the rental car and used that in the morning.
Not a great start to a vacation.

Apart from this the hotel was great.

• Stayed December 2012
Bhotels, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I also want to express my sincere apologies for the difficulty that you experienced with our shuttle service. The problem is not representative of the standard of excellence in service that we intend to offer our guests. We will use your comments to prevent future occurrences of a similar nature. Please call me when you are planning your next stay with us so that I can personally oversee the arrangements for your visit.

We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport.

Prospect
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Same overall 4 star facility quality as other Hampton Inns - but the staff made this a 5.

I had just spent 18 hours battling the snow storms that snarled air traffic on Dec 26th to arrive in Oakland and check into another hotel (Homewood Suites). The floor they put me on smelled like someone was cooking roadkill in cabbage. It permeated two floors of the three floor building!

Having no patience left - I called the Hampton and Jovy not only got me in, she upgraded me to a better room. When I arrived she rounded up some plates and utensils for me so I could cook up some dinner (they have a stocked pantry). For the first time that day, I felt like someone actually cared about the lousy travel day I had.

The enthusiasm continued on successive mornings with both Nick and Jorge - both men are outstanding ambassadors to the hotel.

This is my new hotel when visiting Oakland.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ron,

Your travel experience getting to our hotel during the terrible storms sounds like a memory that you would like to forget. I am so glad that we were able to get you comfortable and well fed upon your arrival. Our staff really enjoys helping our guests, so I will pass on your compliments to them.

We are proud to offer sincere hospitality to our visitors and we look forward to extending the same to you on your next trip to the Bay Area.

Thank you for choosing our hotel.

Dhruv Patel

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport? Share your experiences!