“Overpriced for average” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Malibu, California
“Overpriced for average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is one of those where I wonder how the other reviewers and I can have such opposite experiences. Our service was bad. The food, average. The price, high. That just doesn't add up for me.

• Visited August 2012

LA
“OK, its service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Did a review earlier about this place and the food for breakfast is good, but the service has fallen apart. Been here twice for breakfast since my last review and both times the service was terrible.
This past weekend went to sit at the counter. Sat for 10 minutes, not joking, 10 minutes. got my own menu and had 7 people look at me and walk a way at least twice so thats 14 looks at a counter and the place was not busy at all. Everyone enjoying watching the TV, talking about how their Satuday night went but not one came over to us. I did ask one girl " I am sorry to bother you but can someone take our order?" Got the short answer, "I dont do the counter"
Sorry, I will take my money elsewhere.
With the poor parking and now the poor service, its not worth the hassle. Remember Jinky's service will make or break you - I can make eggs and pancakes at home.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Redwood City, California
“Always GREAT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Huge menu with lots of options - and, if you ask, you can make up your own specialties! I love the Flaky French Toast with a sprinkle of coconut for breakfast - skip the sugar, the syrup, berries, etc. Just plain and simple. Have been going to Jinky's since it opened - wait staff are very friend and get to know you by name. Always treated with great respect, service is stellar. Whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner there is something for everyone!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oak Park, CA
“Good but pricey food & sub-par service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I am a local, so I've eaten at Jinky's at least 6-8 times since the Jinky's at this Agoura Hills location opened about a year ago. The menu is extensive and has a lot of gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan options. It's a kind of "organic" deli. Although the food is good, it's also on the pricey side -- $12 for a typical breakfast item, like eggs & meat, or a personal-sized pizza. But, what bothers me the most is the service; it's really mediocre. First, they do not take reservations, but insist that every, single member of your party be present to be seated. So, don't even *think* about meeting a big group there because 90% of you can be there, but you'll wait and wait and wait. Second, the food always takes at least an extra 5-10 minutes than you think it should for a relatively informal place. Annoying. Especially when you're hungry. Finally, the wait and bus staff are zealots when it comes to clearing off plates. Before you're plate is clean, even if you're still chewing, and with everyone else at your table only half-done with their meal, the bus staff invariably starts trying to take your plate away. Mind you, half the time they do not even ask if it's okay to take the plate, they simply reach and grab. I'm ready to bring a horse crop with me when I eat there, just to minimize the effort it takes to slap down their over-eager attempts to take plates away. The wait staff is less aggressive when it comes to clearing but they, too, will start circling your table like a band of vultures over fresh kill as soon half the table appears to be done. Note to management: have any of you ever worked in a fine restaurant where it is considered extremely rude to clear any single diners plates until everyone at the table is finished? No? Well, it shows. If Jinky's were a cheap dive, I might understand the aggressive attempt to clear and move the tables but, since the average tab for a breakfast or lunch typically runs $80-100 for my family of 4, I think it's just tacky to be so blatant in the attempts to turn the tables. So, why do I continue to go there? I have two teens who love it, and it is very close to my house. Nonetheless, unless I'm just too tired to travel to several, better and similar restaurants, I give in and go along with the group.

• Visited January 2013
Oak Park, California
“Just too healthy?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I try to watch what I eat but I don't know... this place just didn't do it for me. I'm not sure what it was... maybe too healthy? I like low fat, "clean" food so it's there but ... well, it just didn't ring my bell. Sorry Jinky's. It is very popular so it's probably just me being picky. My husband likes it. Beware: the parking lot is shared with a very busy Trader Joe's market. LOVE that place!

Visited September 2012