“Sour Service Spoils Potentially Nice Property” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now, save up to 15%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Avondale
Mattawan, MI
“Sour Service Spoils Potentially Nice Property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

My friend is working in Phoenix for two months, and chose this property as a loyal Homewood Suites/Hilton Honors traveler. He spends 11 mo/yr in hotels and I get to visit many of the places he visits. This is probably the sloppiest Hilton property we've ever stayed at. NO COFFEE except during the strictly limited breakfast hours. Even Hamptons have coffee 24/7. The staff was unfriendly...the single smile during a four day stay came from our housekeeper, no one else even made eye contact. They looked like they felt uneasy or unhappy w/their job. Besides food, carpeting is coming away from the walls, lets crickets in (LOTS of crickets!), AC unit is so loud it drowns out the TV, and "dinner" is mediocre at best. This property has alot of work to do to measure up to Hilton standards. Probably nicer suite stays available in the Phoenix area. Look around.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
California, Central Valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

We were traveling to Arizona to watch an event at Phoenix International Raceway. Since I had never been there before I looked up hotels closest to the raceway. I narrowed down my search between Hilton Garden Inn and Hilton Homewood Suites. Since I never stayed at a Homewood property, I picked it. The two hotels are both brand new (or look new) and right next to each other. We checked in a 10pm and the clerk was super friendly and helpful. The lobby looked nice (as expected), however we were completely surprised when he opened our King Suite room door. My fiance, said, "Wow, this is really nice". Instead of being a hotel room, it really was like a mini luxurious apartment. It had a livingroom complete with sofa, end tables, side leather chair, and TV. The kitchen was tiny, but well equipped. The bedroom was separated by a closing door. The king bed was amazing (soft but enough support). It reminded me of walking into a model home (except for super tiny). We wished we had booked a longer stay. The only con's were the check in was at 4pm, however check out was noon (versus 11am). The hot breakfast didn't impress my fiance, (he made and egg/bacon sandwich) but I thought it was great (coffee, fruit juice, yogurt and fruit). I have have stayed at a lot of hotels for business & fun. I will always seek out Homewood Suites from now on (hopefully they will be as nice as this new property). I don't know if the standard rooms are as nice.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

We were 2 couples & 1 child who stayed in a 2 bedroom suite in mid-October. The room was fabulous---very large, very nicely decorated and well-equipped. There was plenty of room for the 4 adults to sit & watch TV together in the living room as well as for the little one to play on the floor. The staff was friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, our room (which was on the top floor facing east) was noisy with garbage trucks at 2 am and an incessant beeping of construction or farm equipment beginning at 4 am. The couple with the earplugs weren't bothered, but the couple without the earplugs were up early! The hotel is really the beginning of the development just south of I-10 at this exit---there's just Homewood, 1 other hotel & a restaurant there surrounded by empty land/farmland---hence the noise. One of the reasons we love Homewoods (other than the great suites) is the convenience of the food with a little one. This location's food was not on par with any other Homewood we've stayed at. Dinner was barely warm chicken patties---the breaded pressed-meat kind you'd get in grade school--with hamburger buns & the salad bar had a much more limited selection of veggies than other Homewoods we've stayed at. Breakfast had egg sandwiches on bagels that were just awful and the only "fresh" fruit were whole apples and canned peaches in heavy syrup. This is far inferior to other Homewoods & was disappointing. Despite this, we'd definitely stay there again. This is a convenient location to several attractions (listed in the hotel description) as well as easy access to the 101 Loop & I-17 heading north, which is what we did the next day.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Peoria, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

The Homewood Suites is located just miles from the famed Phoenix International Raceway. It has reasonable rates and a friendly attitude. Additionally, this hotel aims to please with its fully equipped kitchens, 24 hour business center, heated pool and whirlpool, and a fitness center.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — View of the Freeway
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Richmond, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Room was large and the bed was very comfortable. I like that this hotel offers two types of pillows.

Good location and availability. I had to come in for work during February and March so I was concerned with all the Spring Training baseball that I would be getting screwed but this hotel was amazing and I would recommend it to any traveler!

Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Litchfield Park, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

We have stayed here a number of times in making multiple trips to PHX for a future move. We will continue to stay here and tell others about it!

The hotel is new, clean, and friendly. Breakfast was great, with very friendly employees that keep the area clean and stocked. They were great with our two year old daughter...even remembering her from previous stays. The room was perfect for travel with a toddler...separate bedroom for Mom and Dad so that you don't have to tiptoe in the dark after her bedtime! It was also great to have a full size fridge and the mini kitchen, too.

We also have stayed in the two bedroom suites when we traveled with others...it was nice to have that extra bathroom and bedroom!

This is very easy to find, right off of the 10...but we did not notice any highway noise at all. Ruby Tuesday is next door and there are plenty of other placed to shop/eat just up or down the 10, making it convenient as well. I

• Liked — Nice sized room, Friendly, Breakfast, Location
  • Disliked — This was only hotel that I can honestly say I had no complaints!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

We stayed here for our son's golf tournament in Goodyear. It worked out well. The staff was very accommodating and were able to help us with whatever we needed. They offered free beer, wine and dinner from 5-7 during the week and free breakfast every morning. This worked well for us before we headed to a long day at the golf course. It was great for college guys who can eat everything! The pool was nice and we often had it to ourselves when it was blistering hot (most didn't want to come out in that weather but when you're from Illinois and sick of winter you don't care. My only complaint was that the wake up service failed to wake us up 2 out of the 3 times we requested it. The third time we called the front desk to verify it would work because we had to catch a plane. We also set the room alarm clock. The room was great as we had a king bed and our 15 year old daughter had the pull out couch. We had a full kitchen so that made it easy to have snacks or small meals. I would highly recommend this for others.

• Liked — the suite rooms
  • Disliked — nothing within walking distance
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Homewood Suites Phoenix-Avondale? Share your experiences!