“Horrible Customer Service and Management (Mark)” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Auburn
Gainesville, Florida
“Horrible Customer Service and Management (Mark)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This place is horrible. The manager (Mark) charged my card without my permission and refused to refund it. Not only did he refuse, he said he could refund it but was "choosing not to" in spite of the fact that he "had the power to do so." It was only $32, but seriously? The customer service was APPALLING. They couldn't find my name or reservation or why the card was charged the awkward amount. In frustration before the call was over as I continued to calmly press him on the issue, he hung up on me to answer his cell phone (that I could hear ringing). The location may be great, but that's the only good thing about this hotel. MANAGEMENT IS ATROCIOUS and is no wonder why it has a bad reputation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Jane B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Auburn, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Rustyt22,

I would like to thank you for the feedback you have provided about the Hampton Inn Auburn. I am writing to address some of your concerns.

I would like to point out that you did not actually stay at the hotel. The $32 employee rate that you were charged was because you unfortunately were not able to visit and you did not cancel your reservation. You say this was an "awkward rate" so perhaps a friend that worked for the hotel brand reserved the room for you and didn't tell you what the rate was?

While the manager on duty does have the authority to make some decisions regarding guest billing, the GM is really the only person that can authorize a refund, and the person you refer to in your comment is not the GM.

I assure you that we take guest service very seriously, and we certainly are not pleased that you were unhappy with your experience, especially with having been charged. Our rule is if we hold the room for you and are not able to sell it to someone else while having it held for you, we do charge you what we refer to as a "no-show" charge for not cancelling. This is what happened with your reservation.

I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to show you the true southern charm our property has during your next planned visit to Auburn.

Your comments have been reviewed with all department managers and General Manager. We thank you for the feedback. We are constantly working to improve the service we offer, and feedback like yours will only help us in that quest!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed at the Hampton Inn while visiting Auburn during the summer. The location was perfect for the summer. It was across from the State Park, and close to the water park. It was about five minutes from downtown Auburn, and a short ride by interstate to Tiger Town. However, it might not be an ideal location for a football game unless you plan to drive to the stadium. It is too far to walk. The rooms were very clean. It was a great price, less expensive than many of the other places I've stayed in Auburn. And it's definitely cleaner and nice than many of the hotels I've seen in Auburn. There was an excellent breakfast, plus they had an evening taco buffet. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Must have been the economy or the football weekend but the service was horrible. The room looked as though they had not had time to finish cleaning...there were only 2 towels left and NO Shampoo. My wife call down to the front desk and requested shampoo and they told her she would have to come down to pick-up the shampoo. Since, they GUT you with the room prices, you would think they would have the rooms cleaned with shampoo & soap!! The room probably should go for $99/ night but since it was a football weekend they took us for $299/ night. RipOff

Room Tip: If you're a Hilton Honors Member it doesn't mean squat...bring your own maid with you, you...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Stea1th,

I would like to thank you for writing a review, and I would like to extend my apologizes to you for the challenges faced during your stay.

As with any job, there are times when things are overlooked or missed. This was the situation regarding the shampoo missing from your room. Unfortunately, the housekeeper that cleaned your room neglected to provide a bottle of shampoo for you. This is not a normal practice, and we do have supervisors that inspect all rooms before they are released to be rented. They are in place to catch those mistakes, and I apologize that they didn't.

When a guest requests an in-room amenity or additional items, our front desk staff is more than happy to deliver the requested items to the guest room. Unfortunately, the weekend you stayed was a busy event weekend and that is why we were unable to bring the missing shampoo to your room. The desk agents often become busy with check ins and phone calls. However, the front desk should have made a better effort to find someone to bring the shampoo and additional towels to your room.

Your feedback has been reviewed by our management staff and we are using this information as training agenda for our staff. Thank you for your honesty. It helps us improve where we may be lacking!

I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to show you the great service typical of our property the next time you are in the Auburn area.
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Hampton Inn, 2430 S. College St, Auburn AL one night October 7th.

Room was clean, desk clerk very helpful, provided info on local area.
Room was king size, very clean. Bed a bit too soft for us, and the selection of
pillows was lacking a lot. Only 4 small pillows on a king bed and these
were either heavily used or contained very little stuffing. I carry my own
pillows so not a problem for me but wife did not sleep well due to lack of
at least one firm pillow. AC worked great, lots of water pressue and hot water.
Overall not a bad experience, except for the bed and pillows.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Mrqcace,

I am writing to thank you for providing your feedback about the Hampton Inn Auburn. While we strive to provide a wonderful guest experience for all our hotel guests, there are times when we do not succeed in that goal.

I apologize that your wife suffered from a bad night’s sleep! We certainly want guests to rest well while staying with us. We have undergone a renovation of our bedding since you stayed. The new bedding is called Tranquility Nights and we have received many compliments on the comfort of this new bedding.

We do offer feather and synthetic pillows, and are happy to provide more of one if a guest prefers one type over the other. I am also quite picky about my own pillow, so I can certainly understand that ours will never make up for the pillow on your own bed, but we are happy to only provide the synthetic pillows for those who prefer a firmer pillow and feather for those who like a soft pillow.

If you make a request regarding your pillow preference during the time that you reserve your guest room, we can go in before you arrive and provide only the type of pillow that you prefer!

Thank you again for staying with us, and for your feedback. We look forward to hosting you during your next trip to Auburn...and with only synthetic pillows on the bed!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Nice Friday Happy Hour with free shuttle bus to game next door

Room Tip: Get room away from road
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, AL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We were moving our son to an apartment at school and had a reservation for a non-smoking room,(final part of reservation conversation was to confirm NS due to allergy issues. Instead they gave me a smoking room, Clerk said NS was only a preference in my reservation. Whey I saw him check another couple in to a NS room and showed him the print out of my reservation, he agreed it was confirmed, but that only remaining NS rooms they had were 2 beds, and they needed to be saved in case late arrivals had more people (it was close to midnight and I pointed out that my reservation indicated the number of guests), The room we got absolutely reeked, my wife had I had to change the linens ourselves to try a reduce the odor, Obviously, got a terrible night's sleep and sent in a complaint via Hhonors. About a week later the Sales Manager called to tell me it was not there fault, NS was only my preference, I pointed out I had a confirmation that stated :Non Smoking Room Confirmed" and had showed it to the clerk, but he insisted I did not. I followed up by scanning a copy ot the print-out to both he and the hotel;s General Manager (even highlighted the appropriate confirmation section. That was about 3 weeks ago and I have not heard a word. So, they mess up my reservation, tell me it is my fault, and then refuse to acknowledge, let alone apologize, when I prove them wrong! I have spent hundreds of nights in hotels for work and personal travel and have never had an experience like this!!! The kicker is that I was very annoyed after the stay, and became outraged at the tone of the follow-up call - the SM refused to acknowledge there was even the possibility that I could be understanding what I was reading, which makes his "radio silent" position when confronted with proof downright despicable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Patrick,

I would like to thank you for the feedback you provided. From what you have written, you did not enjoy your stay at our property. This is not acceptable to us as members of the service industry!

I apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you experienced while visiting our property. During the time period you stayed, we did have an issue in our reservation system regarding room type assignments and display. Basically, when room reservations were coming across into our reservation system, it was not displaying on the hotel side what the smoking preference was. As you experienced, this caused us a lot of issues because I know as a non-smoker, I don't want to be in a room that someone previously smoked in.

I apologize deeply for you being stuck in a smoking room. We did have this issue corrected with the brand, but sadly, not before you suffered a bad stay. Again, I am very sorry for this.

Regarding the lack of management follow up, this is certainly not something that is accepted, and this has been addressed.

From what I show, we were able to refund the money you paid for this unsatisfactory stay. I do look forward to the opportunity to host you the next time you visit the Auburn area. I ask that you please do give us another chance and I assure that you will not be disappointed.
Marietta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I’ve stayed here three times over the past few years. Rooms are smaller than some other Hampton Inns, but they’re clean and have the very comfortable Hampton Inn beds. Good breakfast. They have a manager’s reception on weeknights where you can get complimentary food and drink in the lobby. It’s a nice place to relax before heading out to dinner. Good location just off of I-85. No restaurants within walking distance, but there are lots of choices just up the road.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Auburn? Share your experiences!